743 users online (95 members and 648 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CA - Kimberly Ann Stewart, 21, Sheridan, 24 May 1977

30 Years ago...

Kimberly Ann Stewart
    Missing since May 24, 1977 from Sheridan, Placer County, California.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: March 22, 1956
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9"; 130 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Green eyes; brown hair.
    Clothing: Pink top, green Ditto pants, blue and white tennis shoes.
    Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Kimberly Morgan was only 15 and still in school when she got married, in January 1972. The couple had two daughters. The couple separated frequently and Kimberly twice filed for divorce, once in 1974, and again on April 13, 1977, little more than a month prior to their final meeting at a pizza parlor in Wheatland.

The husband had met with Kimberly to give her some money. Patrons at the restaurant were interviewed later and remembered that the couple had argued and departed shortly after their arrival.

The husband told police he and Kimberly left the restaurant in separate vehicles and that, hours later, a member of his family had spotted her car parked on Highway 65 approximately two miles from Sheridan. When the husband went to that location with his brother, they found the car, keys still in the ignition, and her checkbook.

But Kimberly was gone. Friends interviewed after her disappearance said Kimberly would never have left her daughters voluntarily, and sheriff's investigators announced that she was likely a victim of foul play.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Placer County Sheriff
    530-889-7800

Agency Case Number: 95-0306080
    NCIC Number: M-052719736
    Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    Placer County Sheriff
    CA DOJ
    The Doe Network: Case File 579DFCA

LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/579dfca.html

Kimberly A. Stewart:
    http://www.auburnjournal.com/article...2missing01.txt
    In 1977 Kimberly Stewart, then 21, took her two young daughters to a friend's home while she met with her estranged husband, officials said. She did not return to pick up her girls.

The husband's family reported seeing a strange car near Stewart's vehicle on an area highway. They suspected that she left with another person.

Today Stewart would now be 50 year old. She is described as a white female, 5 foot 9 inches tall, weighing 130 pounds with green eyes and brown hair. At the time of her disappearance she lived in the Sheridan area.

Anyone with information on any of these missing person cases is asked to contact the Placer County Sheriff's Department at (530) 889-7800.

In 1977 Kimberly took her two daughters to a friends home while she met with her estranged husband. Kimberly did not return to pick up her daughters. The husband's family reported seeing a strange car near Kimberly's on the highway. They suspected that Kimberly left with another person. This picture of Kimberly is from her sophomore year at high school. No other pictures were available.
    Addr: Camp Far West
    City/St: Sheridan, CA
    Ht/Wt: 5' 09" / 130 lbs
    Eye/Hr: Green / Brown
    Race: White
    DOB: 3/22/56
    http://www.placer.ca.gov/Sheriff/Missingpersons.aspx

Still missing...

Bumping case up. Kimberly is still missing.

Thirty Five Years Ago...

It has now been 35 years since Kimberly Ann Stewart went missing. Her case remains unsolved.

I wonder if this is a case where LE more or less knew what happened and who was responsible, but just never had enough proof for an arrest.

I'm suspicious by nature, so the husband pops up in my mind as suspect #1.

They wrote about the case last year, still no answers but the investigation is ongoing. Comments at the bottom echo the same thoughts people on this thread seem to have.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/...eking-answers/

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    I wonder if this is a case where LE more or less knew what happened and who was responsible, but just never had enough proof for an arrest.

I'm suspicious by nature, so the husband pops up in my mind as suspect #1.
    I think this might just be because I've been reading as much as I can find about Roger Kibbe in the past few weeks, after running across a local case I think might be one of his and sent a tip on, but this almost sounds like an I-5 Strangler abduction. He picked up some of his known victims on highways, I-5, 99 and 50, and targeted stranded motorists (Stephanie Brown, Charmaine Sabrah, and Karen Finch, who he was not convicted of killing but who police are certain is one of his victims).

It's also in the right time frame (Lou Ellen Burleigh was abducted by Roger Kibbe and murdered in 1977, and her remains weren't found until 2011), the car left behind fits his M.O., and Placer County is near Sacramento, which is the general area where he abducted and dumped some of his victims (Yolo, Sacramento, El Dorado and Amador counties - he also ranged to San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Contra Costa and Napa counties for pick ups and body dumps, and told police he'd hired prostitutes in Oakland at one point). If that's the case, I'd expect to find her in another county, since he took all of his known victims across county lines. Maybe even in Nevada, since his brother was a Douglas County Sheriff's detective and Kibbe visited him frequently. Police have always thought he had more victims beyond the ones he was convicted of, and according to Bruce Henderson's book, he apparently told his wife at one point that there was another body in El Dorado County that police had never found (I'm assuming that wasn't referring to Robbin Simpson, a possible Kibbe victim found in El Dorado who was a Jane Doe until recently, since she was found before he was arrested for Darcie Frackenpohl's murder).

But I've been actively looking for potential Kibbe victims, so it's really likely I'm seeing a connection where one doesn't exist. Her husband is definitely a pretty good suspect, especially since they argued before she disappeared, he found her car, and his family are the only people who reported seeing a strange car near hers.

Here's the Facebook page dedicated to finding her:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-...40294842710386

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post

Left: Kimberly, circa 1972 (age sixteen);
    Center and Right: Kimberly, circa 1977

Bumping for 38 years.
    Kimberly is still missing.

Here is the link to her NAMUS page. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3879/0/

dentals and DNA are available. No fp s. Kim was entered in NAMUS in 2009. Her height is listed as 69 inches. Brown hair, green eyes.
    Where is Shawn Hale? https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7546/0/ Missing from Apple Valley CA since 11/04/1994

Where is Michelle Crawford? https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14428/0/ Missing from Lawton, OK since 06/08/1999

Where is Jennifer Lee Schmidt? https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4822/0/ (Missing From West Lafayette IN(Purdue University) since 08/06/85.