Deceased/Not Found VA - Gina Hall, 18, Radford, 28 June 1980 *S. Epperly guilty*

Richard

Reaction score
Gina Hall
Missing since June 28, 1980 from Radford, Virginia
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0"
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair.
Other: She did not smoke or use drugs. Blood type - O
Marks, Scars: Burn scars on her right side from her upper arm to her thigh.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Gina Hall was last seen in June of 1980. The Radford College freshman had gone out dancing with a group of friends. One of the members of the group, Stephen Epperly, talked her into going to a party at Claytor Lake. When they got to the cabin on the lake, they were alone. Gina was never seen again.

Epperly told police when he was interviewed for the first time that he had driven Gina from the nightclub to the lake house. He said he heard her call her sister to tell her that she would be home in the morning. He said they went to the dock and that he went swimming but that Gina did not.

According to him, they left the house and Gina dropped him off in Radford. He went to bed and never saw her again.

Police later found enough blood and hair samples to suggest that Hall did not survive an assault.

Gina's sister's car was found at the Pulaski County end of the railroad trestle over the New River. Searchers looking for Gina discovered a blue blood-stained towel near where the Chevy had been found. It contained fibers consistent with those found in the carpet at the lake house.

Nearby, a policeman found one of Gina’s shoes at the opposite end of the trestle from where the car and the towel were found. Two weeks later, other searchers found all of the clothes Gina had worn the night she vanished. The clothes were tied in a bundle and were bloodstained.

Epperly was indicted and tried for first degree murder. Gina’s body was never recovered, which required the state to prove both that she was dead and that her death had resulted from a criminal act on the part of Epperly. Epperly is still serving a life sentence for murder, though he maintains his innocence. Gina Hall's remains have never been found.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Radford Police Captain Lawson

Source Information:
WDBJ7
TMR
The Doe Network: Case File 2147DFVALINK:

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2147dfva.html

hall_gina.jpg
hall_gina2.jpg

Missing 34 years today.

This case is so sad. Did they search everywhere around the lake house and trestle? I wish he would just admit where she is.

Gina Renee Hall

bffUDnScPN9Szbr6RMY51R0r7ZO1EynT_HK-_hCYmt5Afu-mx2fC-oTmsgRs3X7v2EV7c37R_VtPvFCB15VFr5iigWELrs9YfiXaktRlJ2KKitWcTXhw3kC50LTIKvS82Q
ci-lTf70_kqjasYRFyDs8QVnXP5O7nQ07ilAHdwZukTLgaqIbuoumldLoUjIS8duWDG4IagoJ27z1LMdndViTQofKTQh838DwUpFx9Db3eEdo4ITdGjGFUO7199HSNPMew

Sex: Female

Race: White

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Hazel

Height: 5’2”

Weight: 110 lbs

Missing From: Radford, Virginia

Missing Since: 06/29/1980

Details: Gina was last seen at the Marriott nightclub in Radford, Virginia. She has a burn scar on the right side of her leg.

Virginia State Police

Gina Renee Hall

bffUDnScPN9Szbr6RMY51R0r7ZO1EynT_HK-_hCYmt5Afu-mx2fC-oTmsgRs3X7v2EV7c37R_VtPvFCB15VFr5iigWELrs9YfiXaktRlJ2KKitWcTXhw3kC50LTIKvS82Q
ci-lTf70_kqjasYRFyDs8QVnXP5O7nQ07ilAHdwZukTLgaqIbuoumldLoUjIS8duWDG4IagoJ27z1LMdndViTQofKTQh838DwUpFx9Db3eEdo4ITdGjGFUO7199HSNPMew

Sex: Female

Race: White

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Hazel

Height: 5’2”

Weight: 110 lbs

Missing From: Radford, Virginia

Missing Since: 06/29/1980

Details: Gina was last seen at the Marriott nightclub in Radford, Virginia. She has a burn scar on the right side of her leg.

Virginia State Police
I lived in Radford, Va at the time. She was last seen at the Marriott nightclub in Blacksburg, Virginia. There was no Marriott in Radford. Just wanted to add that. This case hit so close to home. We lived on second street which is the street that he lived on. Only he was further west

40 years later, some of Gina Hall’s remains found in Pulaski County

It’s been forty years since Gina Renee Hall was murdered in Pulaski County. Her murderer, Steve Epperly, was convicted but a body was never found. Within the last few months, Gina’s older sister, Dlana Hall Bodmer, with help of a Forensic Anthropologist out of Tennessee, has found some of Gina’s DNA and remains.
[...]
Dlana was introduced to Dr. Arpad Vass, a forensic anthropologist who had invented an instrument to detect DNA buried beneath the surface. Since then, Gina’s remains have been discovered across eight locations throughout the New River Valley using that device.
[...]
They’ve found Gina’s DNA on top of Draper Mountain at a lake house on Claytor Lake, off of Hazelhollow Road, along Meadow Creek and they found part of Gina’s bone at Epperly’s former hunting grounds. Bodmer says some of the locations were on their radar in 2016, but not all of them.
[...]
Not only did the instrument hit on Gina’s DNA, but it also hit on another - Angela Radar’s. Radar went missing from Roanoke in 1977, and back then they thought she was just a runaway teen and that’s where it stopped, until Dlana met with the Radar family.

It’s been forty years since Gina Renee Hall was murdered in Pulaski County. Her murderer, Steve Epperly, was convicted but a body was never found. Within the last few months, Gina’s older sister, Dlana Hall Bodmer, with help of a Forensic Anthropologist out of Tennessee, has found some of Gina’s DNA and remains.
[...]
Dlana was introduced to Dr. Arpad Vass, a forensic anthropologist who had invented an instrument to detect DNA buried beneath the surface. Since then, Gina’s remains have been discovered across eight locations throughout the New River Valley using that device.
[...]
They’ve found Gina’s DNA on top of Draper Mountain at a lake house on Claytor Lake, off of Hazelhollow Road, along Meadow Creek and they found part of Gina’s bone at Epperly’s former hunting grounds. Bodmer says some of the locations were on their radar in 2016, but not all of them.
[...]
Not only did the instrument hit on Gina’s DNA, but it also hit on another - Angela Radar’s. Radar went missing from Roanoke in 1977, and back then they thought she was just a runaway teen and that’s where it stopped, until Dlana met with the Radar family.

This article is very odd - how does one find some of a person's DNA? I am glad for her family that they have some closure and I hope that any bones discovered were officially found to belong to Gina.

Based on what a local diver/EMT has told me, the body of Gina appears to have been dismembered and "parts" were distributed among different locations in SW VA. All of this sounds quite grisly, but assuming Epperly had thought this through, attempting to hide Gina's body is not outside of the realm of possibilities.

Based on what a local diver/EMT has told me, the body of Gina appears to have been dismembered and "parts" were distributed among different locations in SW VA. All of this sounds quite grisly, but assuming Epperly had thought this through, attempting to hide Gina's body is not outside of the realm of possibilities.

If you watch her sister's YouTube video's she has also said that cadaver dogs alerted to multiple places of burial.

@othram Please pardon my ignorance if this turns out to be a waste of time for you. :oops:
I wonder whether you'd have any interest in contacting Ms. Bodmer and/or University of Tennessee professor Arpad Vass regarding Gina Hall's case. The article below and the one linked by @iulia give more details. (I can't figure out if they're needing only the soil tested or whether they need to test the bone and the soil. :confused:)

After 40 years, professor’s invention may have discovered Gina Hall’s remains
July 11, 2020
SBBM

For 40 years, the disappearance of Radford University student Gina Renee Hall and the whereabouts of her remains have remained a mystery. Now, an invention by University of Tennessee professor Arpad Vass may have led to the discovery of Hall’s remains.

Snip

Over the years, Diana Hall Bodmer has been a fierce advocate for justice for her sister. ... Bodmer’s relentless pursuit led her to bring in cadaver dogs and Vass, an anthropology professor. Vass has invented a machine to detect DNA buried beneath the surface of the ground. It was his machine, according to Bodmer, that led to a discovery.

Snip

The investigation has confirmed eight different locations located throughout the area that have a familial match to Gina’s DNA. “There are still a few more areas I want to scan and rule out before we are completely finished,” Bodmer said. “Six of these confirmed locations also register for human Caucasian bone in the same, exact place. I have only excavated one of the six and human bone was found. I also have kept the surrounding dirt from that excavation that registers positive for Gina’s organic matter.” Those containers sit at Bodmer’s home as she works to find a lab capable of detecting human DNA in the dirt and identifying the human DNA as Gina’s.

[...]
[...]
[...]

Apparently, this article mentions some of the "lies" Ms. Bodmer refers to in the article linked in my comment above [SBBM - Over the years, Diana Hall Bodmer has been a fierce advocate for justice for her sister. Media reports have reported what came out of the trial, but she believes there is much more to tell. “I want and need to tell Gina’s story,” she said, calling most of what’s been repeatedly reported lies.] Gina's sister and others have posted comments beneath the article linked below.

Sunday marks 40 years since Gina Renee Hall murder
JUNE 25, 2020

The web address for this article includes a date of 17 Dec 1980. I assume that's when it was written.
And I'm just going to put this right here. :confused: Wow! Mr. Lookabill should do a little reading at Websleuths!o_O SBBM

Snipped
But defense attorney Glenwood Lookabill told the jury none of the prosecution's 97 pieces of evidence -- including bloodstains and bits of hair -- and 31 witnesses proved Epperly killed Hall. "I submit to you a normal, red-blooded American boy does not kill somebody because they didn't get sex," Lockabill said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...nvicted/ccfc55de-b184-45f4-8171-f7e52bcef720/

A Pulaski County jury convicted Stephen M. Epperly of first-degree murder tonight in the slaying of a Radford University freshman whose body has never been found. The jury recommended that Epperly be sentenced to life in prison.
#more at link

TY for the heads up!

The unconfirmed update says that Gina's sister, Dlana, along with Dr. Vass & his machine, Don Singleton, and a few "unofficial officials" have found Gina's remains!

May Gina finally rest in peace.

The Miraculous Journey - Gina Renee Hall
28 Apr 2021

TRUTH HAS PREVAILED...That mountain no longer holds my sister’s killer’s secret. I have always said that when Gina’s remains are found, completely found, I would declare Glory to God...and that is exactly what I did Monday, April 26,2021. Gina’s soul (at a quantum level) shouted truth from that darkness, again, just like in 1980. She is the hero and we all should be HER VOICE. HER TRUTH.

I am appreciative to all those who have played a role that led to this day. I am very grateful for the many, many prayers for our success in finding Gina. [snip] ...we had three “unofficial” yet “official authorities” with us to help... [snip] secure the bone in sealed evidence bags, and THE gold bracelet, the missing “bracelet”,...[snip] Prayers were heard...we left that mountain with Gina...

178798840_2533112740327295_318246512446067029_n.jpg

Gina Renee Hall – The Charley Project
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description - A blue towel and ankle bracelet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back