833 users online (174 members and 659 guests)  

Websleuths News

Higher chance of Gulf Coast hurricane in '07

There is an above-average chance that a major hurricane will hit the U.S. Gulf Coast this year, marking a possible return to the destructive seasons of 2004 and 2005, leading storm forecasters predicted on Tuesday.

Hurricanes in 2005 devastated New Orleans and other parts of the Gulf Coast, and knocked out a swath of the country's offshore oil platforms and coastal refineries, pushing oil prices to then-record highs. In 2004, four strong hurricanes struck Florida, the country's biggest citrus producer.

AccuWeather and Colorado State University said Tuesday at a storm conference in Houston the chance that a storm will swing over the energy-rich Gulf of Mexico and into the Gulf Coast states again this year is higher than normal.

"For energy markets, it's a bullish forecast," said AccuWeather forecaster Joe Bastardi. "The highest area of risk has swung southwest from the Atlantic to Florida and the eastern and central Gulf Coast regions," he said.

U.S. oil prices rose 83 cents Tuesday to $62.30 per barrel, pulling up from its lowest level since March 22 that was hit on Monday.

Bastardi said that chances a storm would cross over oil-producing parts of the Gulf of Mexico, home to a quarter of U.S. oil production, were two-and-a-half to three times higher than normal this year.

Overall, the 2007 Atlantic hurricane season will bring 13 to 14 named storms, of which six or seven could strike the United States, AccuWeather said.

Colorado State University forecaster Phillip Klotzbach said at the conference there was a 49 percent chance that a hurricane packing winds of 111 miles per hour or higher would hit the Gulf Coast. The average chance for a major hurricane to hit the region is 30 percent, he said.

"The probabilities for this year are well above average," Klotzbach said. "The idea is, with a more active season, there is a much higher possibility of landfall."

The university already has predicted the 2007 Atlantic hurricane season would be far more active than usual, with 17 tropical storms, of which nine will strengthen into hurricanes and five will strengthen into major hurricanes.

The hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070508/...t_dc&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Not to be a smartass, but they say this every year.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    And DK posts it - every year, lol!!!!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Well, we need Andrea to come here in Palm Beach County,but it looks like its affecting Georgia and North Florida only--too bad--We need rain bigtime here,and a tropical storm would be perfect

the pleasant afternoon thunder showers will do just fine. we really have had enough hurricanes.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    Well, we need Andrea to come here in Palm Beach County,but it looks like its affecting Georgia and North Florida only--too bad--We need rain bigtime here,and a tropical storm would be perfect
    No kidding, we had 20 minutes of rain the other night and that was it!!!!! I am getting sick of watering my plants.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I know, but we that live along the coast line live in fear every year that the "BIG" one will get us.

Quote Originally Posted by deandaniellws View Post
    I know, but we that live along the coast line live in fear every year that the "BIG" one will get us.
    And those that live inland, live in fear of tornadoes. I can't live that way. We're 1/2 mile from the coast and go through this every year. My neighbors freaked out and moved a couple years ago to GA, right into a path of a tornado. I can't live in fear. I can be prepared, but I won't let anxiety rule me. I tend to be positive, which is necessary to balance my dh's fears. The media thrives on hurricane season and the local weather stations compete w/ the best coverage. I will stay informed and be prepared, but I will also live my life staying positive that we will survive another season.

Dh and I want to take a 7 day caribbean cruise this October but I'm scared to because it will still be hurricane season. I guess the thing to do would be to purchase travel insurance if/when we book it?

Cool

October is a safer bet than August! Go for it!

This year....I'm going with the HurriCan't mentality.....once is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
    And those that live inland, live in fear of tornadoes. I can't live that way. We're 1/2 mile from the coast and go through this every year. My neighbors freaked out and moved a couple years ago to GA, right into a path of a tornado. I can't live in fear. I can be prepared, but I won't let anxiety rule me. I tend to be positive, which is necessary to balance my dh's fears. The media thrives on hurricane season and the local weather stations compete w/ the best coverage. I will stay informed and be prepared, but I will also live my life staying positive that we will survive another season.
    Excellent post kahskye. Live in fear or live your life, that is the choice people have to make. The subject does not matter. Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, snow/ice storms, rain storms. Stop living in fear people, and go out and live.

So we heard in 2006.....doomsday....it's coming.....everyone run!

NOT.

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    October is a safer bet than August! Go for it!

This year....I'm going with the HurriCan't mentality.....once is enough.
    I love it-hurrican't!!
    I'll have to keep that one in mind. I'm usually freaked out for the first week or so of the season and then I calm down once we have all of our ducks in a row. We're moving into a steel-built home at the end of June, it would be harder for us to get things together to leave in the middle of a move but they are supposed to be sturdier homes. It's even pre-wired for a generator,yay!
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

Quote Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
    Fabulous post-- we live very close to the coast too- have for 9 years- will admitt we fled for the first hurricane warning when we first moved here-- but I will take hurricanes over tornadoes any day- spent the first 35 years of my live in the midwest-- you have no clue when they are going to hit, and usually in the middle of the night, so you arent watching tv to see the warnings- then there are the earthquakes out west, snowstorms, icestroms---etc-etc-etc--