CO - Chandler Grafner, 7, starved to death, Denver, 6 May 2007

hipmamajen

I love the friends I have gathered together on thi
Reaction score
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5849594?source=rss

Police have arrested a man and a woman for investigation of homicide involving a 7-year-old boy who appeared to suffer from malnutrition.
Jon Phillips, 26, and Sarah Berry, 21, were being held in the death of the boy, whose identity was not released, said Denver police spokesman John White. Paramedics tried to resuscitate the boy, discovered in a third-floor apartment at 3300 S. Tamarac St., authorities said.

So far they are saying no charges have been filed, but they're still investigating the cause of death. Apparently no one knew the boy lived in that apartment :(

A seven year old weighing 30 lbs? :slap: My 2 year old is 31 lbs.!!! That is so sad.

Seriously, my 2 year old is 37 pounds, that is just crazy. He must have been all bones.

It makes me wonder how long the abuse must have been going on for, how long could a person survive with no food? This child obviously did not go to school either. Poor baby.

I couldn't bring myself to read the article. Stories like these make me physically ill. Poor little boy. Breaks my heart.

These weren't even their children. They were in FOSTER CARE and placed with them. WTF??????? Who was supposed to be keeping up with these kids? I guess they just collected the checks, but did nothing for the kids.

Really, they should stop offering money to foster parents without some serious wellness checks.

:furious: o.k. admittedly I was furious before I even clicked on the link, so maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but these freakazoids look like they are smirking!They have no remorse...oh how I long for the days of 2 horses, 4 ropes and a gunshot to scare the heck out of them.

They look like they were on drugs....I'm a little confused by the article, though - it doesn't say how they were related or if they were foster parents. I have a hard time believing that a 26 year old and a 21 year old would be able to become foster parents - especially when they are not even married?? ..... 30 pounds for a 7 year old?? That is insane - my nephew isn't even one yet and he weighs 28 lbs. That poor kid....

A seven year old weighing 30 lbs? :slap: My 2 year old is 31 lbs.!!! That is so sad.

I am not saying the parents didn't starve this child, but my 8 yr old only weighs 40 lbs, and he eats well. My 5yr old weighs 30lbs & my 4 yr old weighs 27lbs, besides being small they are very healthy. They are just naturally small like I was at their age. That being said, I hope that these people pay dearly for whatever pain and suffering this child had to endure.

Yeah, my 8 year old (who is ADHD and very hyper) is 51 inches and 45 lbs. He is not malnutritioned and eats very well. His father is over 6 foot tall and only 140 (I think he weighs a little more as his metabolism is catching up with him FINALLY!!) And my almost 6 year old girl weighs 35 lbs and is about 48 inches. She is very healthy looking and not malnutritioned either.

There is got to be more to this story then the weight of this child...and I hope that the child's weight is NOT the only thing they focus on as they prosecute this couple dearly...

Yeah, my 8 year old (who is ADHD and very hyper) is 51 inches and 45 lbs. He is not malnutritioned and eats very well. His father is over 6 foot tall and only 140 (I think he weighs a little more as his metabolism is catching up with him FINALLY!!) And my almost 6 year old girl weighs 35 lbs and is about 48 inches. She is very healthy looking and not malnutritioned either.

There is got to be more to this story then the weight of this child...and I hope that the child's weight is NOT the only thing they focus on as they prosecute this couple dearly...

my 8 year old weighs around 55 lbs and she is SKINNY! In fact, we're still having to buy her 6T clothes to fit around her waist!

http://origin.denverpost.com/movies/ci_5858585

This article explains the relationship and why they weren't with mom. Poor kids...sounds like life is really hard no matter where they are.

And it says UNDER 30 lbs. That is really little, even for a small built child. My friend's kids are really tiny, to the point that they have tested them for cystic fibrosis, etc., but even they are not that small.

There's a world of difference between "thin" and malnourished. Obviously, this little guy didn't get what he needed to live.

That last article was so hard to read...I am aching inside for this baby. Why was he not given to his grandmother who loved him? What difference does a effin license make? There are other means of transportation. I am outraged that this couple was turned in repeatedly for child abuse and nothing happened!!!! WTH is wrong with that county's DSS?!!!! Didn't the fact that he was withdrawn from school after the teacher's reported that the boys were being neglected send off any alarms?!!!:mad:

we are not talking about a small child who can be healthy at 30lb. we are talking about a child who died because 30lb was not enough to keep him alive. a child's size vs age may vary but when a child starves to death it is always a crime.

Here's another update: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5531663,00.html

The starvation death of 7-year- old Chandler Grafner was "intentional and deliberate," according to first-degree murder charges filed Thursday against a young Denver couple responsible for the child's care.

The article goes on to give a little history on why the grandmother hadn't been allowed to keep the kids.

That poor little boy. Why didn't they like that little guy? Was it because the husband didn't think the oldest boy belonged to him? I hope they both get what they deserve and that CPS is taken to task too. This kind of thing happens way to often.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back