806 users online (98 members and 708 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SC - Man Held Wife and Sons Captive in Hidden Room

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271093,00.html

Police say a 45-year-old South Carolina man was hiding more than drugs and gambling machines in a walled-off section of his home....The woman claimed she and her sons all barefoot when discovered by authorities had been held captive for four years,...
    the boys are aged 4 and 8

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    So the younger one was just a baby?
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Where in the HE!! was this woman's family? I swear how can people be so blasted oblivous to the world you do not even try to see your own gandchildren, or check on your daughter,or sister. Geeze these stories just drive me up the wall. Dysfunctional at a whole new level. Sad thing prison for him will be better than they way the lived.

Sadly not everybody has family and/or friends

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    Sadly not everybody has family and/or friends
    I'm going a little off topic here, but here goes anyway. I had a neighbor lady who was a complete hermit. She would recoil from a simple hello like a vampire to light. She would change her phone number when her family became too anoying for her. And most times would never answer her door. There were several times where my older neighbors would become concerned if they hadn't seen her come and go. SHe chose to distance herself from the human race...and she died alone! She died and wasn't found for two weeks later. I had never seen family come or go in the 5 years prior to her death. Okay I'm done now, please resume discussing.

There is obviously some mental illness involved with these people. I mean, what the H#$#??? I don't understand how anyone could keep me captive for that long. At some point, the SOB has to sleep, and given that kind of time period, I believe I would devise a weapon to take advantage of the sitatuation.....even a frying pan would work.

No indication of physical abuse...so what...I have experienced both physical and mental, and I would take physical abuse over mental ANY day of the week...
    What is this about? Why did he try to hide them?
    I hate to place part of the blame on the woman, because I know how degrading and soul-suffocating mental abuse can be....BUT at one point she stole her husband's truck...she should have drove it STRAIGHT to the police...any decent mother would do ANYTHING to protect her kids.
    I have been thru all abuse....physical, emotional, sexual, and I can guarentee you there is not ONE person or ONE single thing in this world that would ever keep me from seeing that my kids don't suffer thru what I went thru.
    I don't think the woman should be charged, but I do think those kids should be taken from her and given some small semblance of a normal life. God bless those precious kids.

after reading this i dont even know where to start... http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007May...Family,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    after reading this i dont even know where to start... http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007May...Family,00.html

This man is a monster and should be jailed for life, and I hate to sound witchy here BUT the mom was lucid enough to escape once, and she went back to him. If she didn't have enough confidence in herself to make in this world without that monster, fine, but she could have made it possible to get those poor, helpless kids outta there.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    No indication of physical abuse...so what...I have experienced both physical and mental, and I would take physical abuse over mental ANY day of the week...
    What is this about? Why did he try to hide them?
    I hate to place part of the blame on the woman, because I know how degrading and soul-suffocating mental abuse can be....BUT at one point she stole her husband's truck...she should have drove it STRAIGHT to the police...any decent mother would do ANYTHING to protect her kids.
    I have been thru all abuse....physical, emotional, sexual, and I can guarentee you there is not ONE person or ONE single thing in this world that would ever keep me from seeing that my kids don't suffer thru what I went thru.
    I don't think the woman should be charged, but I do think those kids should be taken from her and given some small semblance of a normal life. God bless those precious kids.
    Maybe she thought that by staying she was protecting them. It's a big harsh world out there. Maybe she worried he would try to get custody or harm her or the kids if they escaped. Maybe she felt safer with her kids being in a room with them with the monster in the house than in the big world with the monster on the loose...

Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    Maybe she thought that by staying she was protecting them. It's a big harsh world out there. Maybe she worried he would try to get custody or harm her or the kids if they escaped. Maybe she felt safer with her kids being in a room with them with the monster in the house than in the big world with the monster on the loose...

I just want to quote this piece from the story:
    "The boys are living safely with a relative, Thompson said."
    Couldn't the mom have asked this "relative" for help? She didn't mind escaping for herself, but she did NOTHING for those boys.
    I don't see how allowing your kids to crawl around in ***** and maggots, and them not even having language skills IS protecting them...
    I know I sound harsh, I don't mean too...believe me, I too have been a victim of emotional abuse and know how bad it is, which is THE exact reason I would NEVER see my kids put through it.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    I just want to quote this piece from the story:
    "The boys are living safely with a relative, Thompson said."
    Couldn't the mom have asked this "relative" for help? She didn't mind escaping for herself, but she did NOTHING for those boys.
    I don't see how allowing your kids to crawl around in ***** and maggots, and them not even having language skills IS protecting them...
    I know I sound harsh, I don't mean too...believe me, I too have been a victim of emotional abuse and know how bad it is, which is THE exact reason I would NEVER see my kids put through it.

Well that's what I get for not reading the whole article. I am at a loss for words actually.

This whole story is bizarre. The grandmother had the older child(ren?) and DSS has been notified several times?

This is the part that tells me the most:

"Dove, 45, plied his wife, Tamara, with prescription painkillers, cocaine and crack, and forbade her to go outside, police said. Thompson said he didn't expect the 37-year-old mother would be lucid enough to be interviewed for weeks."

Creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerprune64 View Post
    I'm going a little off topic here, but here goes anyway. I had a neighbor lady who was a complete hermit. She would recoil from a simple hello like a vampire to light. She would change her phone number when her family became too anoying for her. And most times would never answer her door. There were several times where my older neighbors would become concerned if they hadn't seen her come and go. SHe chose to distance herself from the human race...and she died alone! She died and wasn't found for two weeks later. I had never seen family come or go in the 5 years prior to her death. Okay I'm done now, please resume discussing.

I don't know what the situation was with the family discussed on this thread, however I sure can relate to your story, baker. My MIL's sister is a hermit. She lives in the middle of about 40 acres of land outside a small town near me. She has walled off her driveway, put barricades up in front of her home so that the house can't even be seen from the road. We worry sick about her, but IF someone dares to walk onto the property to check on her, she greets the visitor with a pistol.....so we don't go anymore. She has disconnected her electricity and gets water from a well...uses an outhouse, so we can't even check on her by seeing that her utilities are up to date. She's been in the mental hospital before, and they decided she was NOT mentally ill, she was just "quirky." (I don't agree with the diagnosis, but there it is.) She is in her late 70's, and I have no doubt that her body will lie undiscovered for quite some time when she dies. Nobody in her family knows what to do.

From reading the 2 links I see his relatives, (mother and a older daughter of the man) are blaming his wife. Sadly it's very typical for family members to not see how their blood relative can be guilty.
    I hope these poor children can now find out what a normal life is.

VB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast