Madeleine McCann 3 year old missing in Portugal - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

missacorah

Reaction score
Madeleine "was abducted"

Saturday, 05 May 2007 12:32

Portuguese police investigating the disappearance of a British girl in the Algarve say they believe she has been abducted.

Local police chief Guilhermino Encarnacao said detectives had a suspect in mind who may have taken three-year-old Madeleine McCann, but he was not able to discuss details out of fear of putting her life in danger.

It is thought that Madeleine and her abductor are still in the area she was staying in with her family when last seen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/6623127.stm

They left the 3 year old babysitting two younger children?

I feel for them but they should be charged with negligence.

They left the 3 year old babysitting two younger children?

I feel for them but they should be charged with negligence.

DITTO that thought kezlyn. I read that part about three times making sure I had the aging correct. Wow!!

please say i read this wrong. these 2 doctors did not leave their 3 year old to watch the younger twins while they went out to eat??? wonder how some1 was able to take the child....

Madeleine went missing from her family's rented holiday apartment in the Algarve village of Praia Da Luz on Thursday night while her parents, Gerry and Kate, were eating their dinner less than a minute's walk away.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2073270,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=1

"less than a minute's walk away". still isn't the best choice this couple have ever made in their life, i would believe.

in fact, there isn't a chance i would do this, so i think they were wrong to leave the children alone, even if they were "less than a minute's walk away".

if the police have a description of a suspect, i would be sure they are doing all they can to get this little one back.

Portugal's Judicial Police - the equivalent of Britain's CID - also said they believe that the three-year-old is still alive.

Mr Kennedy insisted that Mr and Mrs McCann had acted responsibly when they left the children in the room as they had dinner at a nearby restaurant.

"The children were left only in the sense that when you put your children to bed you don't stay in the room all night. They had dinner in a restaurant in the complex, only a very short distance away from where the children were, and they kept popping back to check on them, as most parents would.

"They are highly responsible parents who are devoted to their family. I can only imagine what they are like at the moment."

The children were left only in the sense that when you put your children to bed you don't stay in the room all night.

I suppose that makes sense, however, if someone jemmied open a window in my son's bedroom I'm sure I'd hear something even if I was at the other end of the house. They would not have been able to hear what was going on in the children's room from a restaurant - too noisy.

Not to mention turning on a tap and drowning, setting a fire, pulling a TV down on themselves, choking, falling off something.... the list goes on.

You can't watch your kids every second of the day and sometimes you do need a break - I should know, I have a 16 month old - but as far as I know, most of these resort type places in Spain have babysitters available for guests to use. And if they are both doctors, they could afford it.

I hope this little girl is found safe.

I suppose that makes sense, however, if someone jemmied open a window in my son's bedroom I'm sure I'd hear something even if I was at the other end of the house. They would not have been able to hear what was going on in the children's room from a restaurant - too noisy.

It depends on the size of the house. There's absolutely no way I'd hear someone sliding open a window in certain parts of my house unless the window broke. Of course, my house is alarmed to the hilt, but if it were not, I would'nt hear a thing.

Police Arrest Portugal Child Abductor

Portugese Police have arrested a man in connection with the Maddie McCann child abduction incident in The Algarve in Portugal.

The arrest was made at 06:00am local time at an address only minutes away from where Maddie was taken.

It is not clear at this stage whether the little girl Madeleine McCann has been found but Police say they are confident that she will be returned safe and sound.

The man is thought to be a local unemployed person with previous convictions for child molestation and false imprisonment.

http://www.functionpix.com/index.php/article/Police_Arrest_Portugal_Child_Abductor/1376/

I hope the police are right and the little girl is alive and the family can have a happy ending to this story! sadly, i feel she 's possibly been through more of an ordeal than abduction considering the suspect's previous record. :(

once again, thanks to a member of the public for tipping the police off.

*Note: it seems that there is a media blackout in Portugal over this story. i cannot find the above details anywhere else, so i don't know if the website is accurate. i hope it is!

I still don't guarantee the above report!

here is a report telling of the family attending a church service this morning:

Their visit to the church fell on Mother's Day which is marked in Portugal with flowers which are laid at the feet of the Virgin Mary during the service.
In an emotional mass, Madeleine's mother was quietly presented with a bunch of five roses by 14-year-old Altar girl Emily Seromenho, whose own mother is English.
As part of the custom local children arrived at church with flowers, which they presented to their own mothers during the service.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6612234,00.html

How kind the girl presented Madeleine's mother with flowers.

Monsters who take children: may they one day be wiped from the earth. :(

At least 150 worshippers packed the small 16th Century Church for Sunday mass. During the service priest, Father Jose Manuel Pacheco, told the family that the entire community was with them.

As he began the service, which was conducted in Portuguese, he spoke briefly in English saying: "We are here like all Sundays and today we have a very big intention, we want to be with this family, the family of Madeleine. "

Oh that's horrible. Mother's Day with your baby missing.

If they truly do have him, then where is she????

I hope they find her fast.

I wonder why they seem sure she is alive. That sounds rather strange. I hope theyre right of course regardless.

The parents are doctors. Something when I read that just really surprised me as they really should have known better than to leave their kids like that. I know the kids were asleep but they werent at home and safe in their beds. They were still among strangers in the hotel.

I heard a phone interview with a relative of the family who said they were checking every half hour at 7pm, 8pm, 9pm which going by my maths is not every half hour. Maybe someone was watching and knew they had an hour to do what needed to be done.

The parents are doctors. Something when I read that just really surprised me as they really should have known better than to leave their kids like that. I know the kids were asleep but they werent at home and safe in their beds. They were still among strangers in the hotel.

I can't fathom the reasoning behind leaving the children alone. :(

I wonder why they seem sure she is alive. That sounds rather strange. I hope theyre right of course regardless.

The M.O. of their suspect, perhaps?

"The man is thought to be a local unemployed person with previous convictions for child molestation and false imprisonment."

I heard a phone interview with a relative of the family who said they were checking every half hour at 7pm, 8pm, 9pm which going by my maths is not every half hour. Maybe someone was watching and knew they had an hour to do what needed to be done.

I think you can bet on it. :(

Officers have a prime suspect but were last night refusing to release any details, including a sketch, for fear of endangering Madeleine's life.
They believe the girl, whose fourth birthday falls this week, is alive and may be being held no more than three miles from where she was abducted. They fear they are now in a race against time to find Madeleine, known as Maddy, before she is murdered.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/06/nmaddy106.xml

This information leads me to think he wasn't working alone? perhaps he has a female companion who is holding Maddy?

It sounds like the aunt is freaking out a bit and is probably not helping LE. They are obviously trying to keep something quiet, and she is chumming the water.

Still amazes me that 2 educated people who went through so much to have their children would take such a risk. I don't even like to be in the basement when my kids are asleep on the 2nd floor b/c I can't hear them.

I hope they can find this little girl fast.

The 'family-friendly' holiday firm

Three-year-old British girl Madeleine McCann was abducted from a Mark Warner resort in Portugal's popular holiday area, the Algarve.

The holiday firm had just one chalet when it began 33 years ago, but now takes about 50,000 people abroad every year, and has developed a family-friendly reputation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/6627799.stm

In pictures: Search for Madeleine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6629399.stm

The first picture in this set shows the absolutely adorable little Maddy.

It sounds like the aunt is freaking out a bit and is probably not helping LE. They are obviously trying to keep something quiet, and she is chumming the water.

Still amazes me that 2 educated people who went through so much to have their children would take such a risk. I don't even like to be in the basement when my kids are asleep on the 2nd floor b/c I can't hear them.

I hope they can find this little girl fast.

The little girl's Aunt, Philomena McCann, says 'It's abhorrent to suggest bad parenting':

Video

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,30000-1264286,00.html

Madeline's mother givs tearful thanks:

Video

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-1264369,.html

Home video of Madeline:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-1264373,.html

What a precious little girl--looks like her mum--let's hope she is safe,and that cretin didn't touch her

What a precious little girl--looks like her mum--let's hope she is safe,and that cretin didn't touch her

I hope so, too, but from the description of the perp it sounds like the best we can really hope for is that she is alive and they will find her quickly.

It depends on the size of the house. There's absolutely no way I'd hear someone sliding open a window in certain parts of my house unless the window broke. Of course, my house is alarmed to the hilt, but if it were not, I would'nt hear a thing.

You're right...depends on the house. If I was in our basement and my girls where in bed I would not hear them. BUT I would have turned on the baby monitor (like we always do), we have 4 dogs that alert us to when something is in the house (even if it's a fly) and we have a home security system.

My heart aches for this family and that baby and her family are in my prayers. However, I feel they were neglectful of these 3 babies. They were in a different country and not watching them.

I pray she is alive and not being hurt....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni