GA GA - Cesar, 32, & Israel Portillo, 27, Clarke County, 18 April 2007

Pandora

Reaction score
The bodies of two unidentified men were found in a manhole Friday at a subdivision under construction in western Clarke County, Athens-Clarke police said.

Authorities are investigating the deaths as homicides, according to police.

The bodies were to be taken to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation State Crime Lab in Decatur for autopsies, scheduled for this morning, police said.

There were no obvious signs of foul play, police said, but the way the bodies were disposed of point to murder.

More at link:
http://onlineathens.com/stories/051207/news_20070512036.shtml

looks like you have to register in order to use that link. Everytime I click on it it takes me to a sign in/register page. I wonder how long they had been there.

Both men have now been identified, but their identities are not being released until their next of kin(s) have been notified.

Were the names and/or cause of death ever released?

Their names were printed on morning, but I can only post in the afternoon. I saw the story on the Athens Banner-Herald site one morning, but it was pulled by the time I got home that afternoon. I haven't seen the information "re-released." (The article I saw totally disappeared--it's as if it never existed!)

Thank you Gmommy, I was really curious about these two.

From July 2009:

http://onlineathens.com/stories/070509/new_459380334.shtml#.VuJgCzZlm8o

Now, two years after the grisly discovery, Athens-Clarke police Chief Jack Lumpkin says he knows the why, but may never know who pulled the trigger.

During a recent community meeting, Lumpkin revealed for the first time that the men had been executed, probably at the orders of a drug cartel...

He compared the murders of the Guatemalan brothers to the 2000 execution-style slayings of two Hispanic brothers-in-law, whose bodies were found by hikers on the Cook's Trail portion of the North Oconee River Greenway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back