TN - Teachers Stage Fake Gun Attack on Kids

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007May13/0,4670,FakedAttack,00.html
Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them,"During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on locked door.

more at link

these are teachers. you would like to think they are smarter than this. i am sure at least some of these kids have seen news reports of kids killed at schools so having a teacher dress up as a gun man and scare them to death may not have been the best teaching method....

another link with more detail. http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070513/NEWS01/705130327/1002

Accounts of the story varied from parent to parent, but according to Assistant Principal Don Bartch, students were gathered into a common area, a large, glassed-in room with double doors, to begin the story. Students were told that park rangers had contacted them, explaining that armed subjects were in the area.
Students were advised to get under tables for protection if these subjects approached the area. Then the lights were turned off, and the door was closed.
Some parents believed the doors to be locked, but Bartch stated this was "absolutely not true."
"The entire room is glass," he said. "There was lighting outside, so students had a good view of what was going on."
A teacher wearing a hooded sweatshirt pulled on a locked double door, pretending to be a suspicious subject in the area. At no time was a weapon, real or fake, used, he said.

"What bothers me the most is that I had the power to stop (what was going on)," said Bartch. According to Bartch the entire scenario lasted about five minutes, after which, the teachers gathered the students explaining it was a prank.

more at link

A prank?

At first I thought they were staging a drill, which would have still been misguided, but at least understandable. Now I'm realizing that this was supposed to be entertainment?

What is wrong with these people? Did they think that would be funny?

<Throws hands in the air in confusion and disgust>

seems the principal all ways takes the kids on this trip. she is a former v-tech student. this year she decided to let the vice principal do it and she only visited one. i appears she is very unhappy atm.

what a horrible prank. drills yes. I remember quite well being huddled along the wall in the basement of our school, practicing air raid drills. We were so little we didn't know it wasn't real, in fact, we didn't even understand why or what an air raid was.

We have drills at the school I work at. But mine are high school level kids, who are pre-warned about the event. So their reaction is "It's just practice" Although we had gang related stuff 2 weeks ago. The school needs more security. Takes one nutcase.

I'm sorry. I thought a prank was a childish joke that kids played on other kids. I thought the adults involved were responsible for making sure things didn't go too far. I didn't think pranks involved the adults in charge lying to kids about their safety and then disguising themselves as murderers to terrify young children!!!

What blows my mind are all of the people defending these idiots (on the comments section of the linked article). No wonder our society is so screwed up if this is their idea of a funny joke.

I was irritated when my kids went to camp and, just hours after explaining what they would do in case of a tornado (there was a watch in effect), the counselors used the same air horns to wake the kids for a midnight workout. Apparently some of the younger kids got upset and thought a tornado was coming. That was inadvertent, and some of the parents were ticked - not because they deliberately terrorized the kids, but because they didn't think. :slap: WTH did they imagine would be going through the kids' heads when they heard the air horns? I wasn't mad about the kids being upset, but about the lack of good judgement. If they would do that, what other stupid @$$ crap would they do while responsible for my children?

This "prank" shows an amazing absence of common sense, empathy, judgement, and the ability to foresee consequences of one's actions. Not exactly qualities you want in a teacher, especially the ones who have your kid on an out of town field trip.

I don't think my BP will survive reading the links. This is maddening. There is enough real-life crap going on that no one needs to do something this stupid and misguided. Shame on them.

There's no defending something like this. What is wrong with our school systems? When I was in school we never had teachers sleeping with students and fake gun attacks by teachers. Unbelievable!

They should have taken them snipe hunting. You can catch those critters without even pretending to have firearms.
OMG that made me laugh SCM, lol.
But on a serious note,this is the most bizzare story. What were they thinking?

if a student had done it then they would have been suspended and put in jail.

and these are the people we entrust our children with everyday.

that is just an evil act and they should all be fired.

Wow, I'm really shocked that this was a "prank" instead of a "drill". What were those teachers thinking?! :waitasec: I can't believe they would think such an act would be acceptable, especially for elementary school aged children! I can understand why some of the parents are upset.

Teachers are above reproach, remember? That's becoming painfully obvious in many cases, anyways.

not only suspended, but probably expelled.

I was going to write the same thing, the student would be in jail or charged with something for even writing such a scenario much less acting it out. This was a sadistic, cruel, and horrible thing to do to the kids. This sort of thing is not a prank and in no way comparable to telling a ghost story. I doubt if they will be fired, but those responsible have no business working around kids. They're probably lying about not having fake guns or at least making it look they had one. I find it very odd that no parents have been invited on these week long trips that involve up to 69 children. No way I'd let my kid go off with that many kids and a few teachers for that long. Now the school is going to "invite" parents..Why didn't they before??

I'm so glad I'm able to homeschool my kids. Public education grows more idiotic by the day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back