Thread: Man Charged With Beating Burglary Suspect

Hybrid View

Man Charged With Beating Burglary Suspect

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., May 12 (UPI) -- A Florida man has been charged with kidnapping and assaulting a suspected burglar he believed had broken into his estranged wife's house.
    Bryan Tynes was arrested after a woman saw him hitting Jerry Davis and called police, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.
    Tynes began looking for Davis after someone burglarized the house Mary Lewis-Tynes shares with her sons in Fort Lauderdale, taking jewelry, electronic items and the boys' clothing and shoes. When he and his estranged wife reported the crime, a Broward County deputy showed them a flyer with Davis' photo.
    By canvassing the neighborhood, Tynes found people who had bought some of his family's property from Davis.
    Both men were arrested, but Davis, who was held on a probation violation charge, was released May 3 while Tynes remains behind bars.
    Neighbors are sympathetic to Tynes, saying crime in the area has gotten out of hand. But police say he has not set a good example.
    "It was basically somebody taking the law into his own hands," said Sheriff's Chief Louis Cavallo said.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...xml&frame=true

I don't blame this guy for going after the thief when he found out who it was. How many people have had things taken out of their homes or vehicles, garages, etc, and have had the police come and ask a few questions and nothing ever happens. I could list quite a few including myself.

What I want to know is if this ex-husband/father talked to people who had bought items from the thief...why was that thief not charged? He was let go!
    Which only goes to show that the police do nothing when someone steals your belongings. To bad the ex had to spend any time in jail

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel View Post
    What I want to know is if this ex-husband/father talked to people who had bought items from the thief...why was that thief not charged? He was let go! Which only goes to show that the police do nothing when someone steals your belongings. To bad the ex had to spend any time in jail
    The article doesn't say if Davis was charged with the burglary or not, my guess is that he simply made bail. Even though I do sympathize with Tynes I agree with the police when they say he's not an example to follow, and not just because kidnapping and assault are more serious felonies than B&E and burglary. If victims were allowed to investigate their own cases and commit serious crimes for the purpose of solving them anarchy would soon ensue and that's only one of the consequences of self-justice.

Civilians are not trained to build a case that will stick in court and Tynes may actually have seriously compromised the case against Davis by tampering with evidence, hopefully he won't get charged with that on top of the other charges. By definition a crime against an individual is a crime against the community and the laws of this country and therefore should be handled by those whose duty it is to enforce law. We must keep in mind that the laws that protect even criminals from being assaulted with impunity also protect each and every citizen from that kind of abuse. The system is not perfect and sometimes results in perpetrators getting away with a crime, but it's much better than the lawlessness that would result from each and every individual being granted the right to enforce law as they see fit.

This being said I agree that anyone should be free to defend themselves against burglars if they catch one in the act. Citizens should be free to threaten, detain, beat up or even kill (in self-defense if they genuinely feel their life is threatened) home invaders, but going after them following info received from police is a whole different matter.