1461 users online (256 members and 1205 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

PA - Tom, 51, Lisa, 47, & Kevin Haines, 16, murdered, Manheim Twp, 12 May 2007

Police search for killer of Manheim Twp. family
    Residents advised to lock doors, turn on lights

Published: May 14, 2007 1:12 AM EST
    LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa. -
    Manheim Township police Sunday were looking for a killer or killers.

Sgt. Jeff Jones said police had confirmed that Tom and Lisa Haines and their 16-year-old son, Kevin, all were slain inside their home at 85 Peach Lane early Saturday.

"We are confirming this is a murder all the way through three murders," Jones said. "This is not a murder-suicide.

"The person or persons responsible for these murders is on the loose."
    http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/204195

If you read the full article, the police are not saying how the family was killed. They are not saying if the surviving daughter is, or is not considered as a suspect. They have a large police presence at local schools today.

The police are so busy saying nothing! It is very frustrating. This happened in a cozy, quiet neighborhood. For those keeping tabs, this is close to the KaraBorden/DavidLudwig killing, and the mass murder of the family in Leola, and of course the recent NickelMines Amish school shootings.

So sad. I found a lot of sources with the story but no more information than what has already been posted. I hope that the daughter isn't involved.
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205 View Post
    So sad. I found a lot of sources with the story but no more information than what has already been posted. I hope that the daughter isn't involved.
    That was my thought as well. Hopefully an arrest will be made before too long, and she is not involved.

Thanks for the link, PSUfan! I was born and raised in Lancaster County (moved to Michigan when I was 19), and I am familiar with Manheim and what a nice little town it is. Prayers for the family & friends of the victims.

Please keep us posted if you hear more news.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

The police are telling people in the area to lock their doors and be very careful. I think if they thought it was the daughter, they'd have detained her and wouldn't be telling the public that they have reason to be afraid.

This is just awful. Prayers to their family and friends, and that the perp will be caught soon. Makes you wonder if it's business-related or perhaps debts unpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh View Post
    The police are telling people in the area to lock their doors and be very careful. I think if they thought it was the daughter, they'd have detained her and wouldn't be telling the public that they have reason to be afraid.

This is just awful. Prayers to their family and friends, and that the perp will be caught soon. Makes you wonder if it's business-related or perhaps debts unpaid.
    That is a good point Englishleigh. I wouldn't rule out a friend of the daughter's. Maybe an ex-boyfriend or a boyfriend that Mom & Dad didn't approve of? How many times have we seen that happen?
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205 View Post
    That is a good point Englishleigh. I wouldn't rule out a friend of the daughter's. Maybe an ex-boyfriend or a boyfriend that Mom & Dad didn't approve of? How many times have we seen that happen?
    I definitely think it was personal against just this family, but then again, the police must not KNOW that for sure or they would be telling the public not to worry. A nutty ex-boyfriend of the daughter's is a good thought, though.

This story is really bothering me. I was going to post it if it wasn't here already.

From what I've read, it was a knife massacre, for one thing. Very unusual, and somehow a notch more chilling than a gun.

Why, though -- WHY is a 20-year-old female apparently untouched, and her mother, father, and teen brother dead? Did they know she was in the home? That occurred to me -- that the killer only expected the three members of the Haines family, didn't know she was there. If Margaret Haines has been living at college, that makes sense.

That'd also mean they weren't seeking an experienced, efficient killer. I'm afraid someone with experience in crime would have known to check the whole house.

The other option might be Margaret's involvement, but at the moment there isn't enough to go on (that I've read) to suspect her. I can't imagine what the young woman is going through if she had no involvement -- she encountered the worst nightmare possible.

The police normally NEVER want to alarm others in the neighborhood, either. That's very worrisome.

Then again, I'm also worried because some people I care about a great, great deal are moving to this exact area this summer. I'd feel a smidge better if there's been an arrest made by the time they do.

Steve/Mr. A.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    My friend in PA just emailed me about his. She lives less than a mile from where it happened.....

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

I am close to where this happened as well. The store I work for was scheduled to do some remodeling work for them in about a month.. a good sized deposit was received, work was scheduled. The deposit will need to be refunded, of course.

It is really freaking me out. I watched the news conference this afternoon. Nothing new at all.

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh View Post

In the latest news conference, they said that they have no reason to believe that the daughter was involved, but they are ruling nothing out. The daughter is "safe, and with relatives".

Another very recent, unsolved murder. In the press conference today, a reporter asked the detective if the rumors were true... that the neighbor to the recently murdered Diener, and the latest family, were very good friends. The detectives answer was that they had no reason to believe the 2 incidents are related.

So far, both are just baffling, and appear to be totally random.

See the previous murder here:

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/203987

E-town murder still a mystery
    Community on edge after shooting of 'perfect gentleman.'

By CINDY STAUFFER
    Lancaster New Era
    Published: May 09, 2007 2:03 PM EST
    LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa - It's disturbing and it's mystifying, these two men who came out of the darkness, killed Ray Diener and then, seemingly, melted back into the darkness.

Police are still looking for the men, who shot Diener, a 65-year-old "perfect gentleman," multiple times a week ago outside his brick ranch home set in a pleasant slice of the West Donegal Township countryside.

Murder is unusual in this part of the county. This is only the second murder that the Northwest Regional Police Department has been faced with since its formation in 2003.

Why wouldn't the daughter just dial 911 from the home phone, or a cell phone? Odd. I hope they find the perp/perps very soon and no one else is harmed along the way.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    ~ Albert Einstein ~

From what was said on the news tonight the daughter heard her mother scream and she escaped the house and ran next door and called 911. It makes sense to me that she left the house to make the call instead of trying to call from home and getting caught by the killer/killers.

It was also said that there was no forced entry. It sounds like the killer was either known to someone in the family or the door or a window was unlocked.
    I can't imagine the terror the daughter felt when she heard her mother scream. I'm glad that she escaped the home and ran to a neighbors to make the 911 call. She did what she should have done. Me, I probably would have been so scared I wouldn't have been able to move.

These family slaughters are happening so often. I hope the person/people responsible for this slaughter is caught soon. I would be terrified if I lived in that town.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEyedGirl View Post
    Why wouldn't the daughter just dial 911 from the home phone, or a cell phone? Odd. I hope they find the perp/perps very soon and no one else is harmed along the way.
    It was first thought the mother screamed, but she didn't. This from the last press conference.

http://www.wgal.com/news/13317694/detail.html
    Harkins said Margaret was asleep in her bedroom on Saturday when she heard a noise and some type of scuffling sound. She got up and went to her mother's room. There, she saw her dad lying on the bed and her mother on the edge of the bed, Harkins said. The mother quietly told Margaret to get out and get help. Margaret left the house, went to a neighbor's and called 911.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast