1112 users online (245 members and 867 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    132

    AL - Two tellers killed, 2 injured in Bessemer bank robbery, 14 May 2007

    He just walked in and started shooting the tellers... one was pregnant

    http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/05/..._death_in.html



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,118
    That pregnant teller should count for two counts of murder. Just horrible.
    I am in Alabama, about 90 min. from Bessemer, so this makes me extra-sick.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    192
    This is awful. This was my hometown. I was raised less than a mile from this bank. I read news stories about it earlier today but I didn't realize which bank in Bessemer that it was. I just wish I had the names of all the people hurt in this thing. I'm very worried now. I don't live near Bessemer now, but I have a ton of friends and family that live there. Oh man.

    I just called my sister who lives in the area. My mom was supposed to be at that bank this morning! Something happened where she didn't go, Thank the Lord! I have to call my mom now.
    Last edited by sillygoose; 05-14-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: addition

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    514
    aww thats so sad I wonder what kind of shape the robber is in?

    And man hearing this sure does make me want to never go inside a bank again! I always feel uneasy walking to/from the bank as it is!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,118
    Quote Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
    This is awful. This was my hometown. I was raised less than a mile from this bank. I read news stories about it earlier today but I didn't realize which bank in Bessemer that it was. I just wish I had the names of all the people hurt in this thing. I'm very worried now. I don't live near Bessemer now, but I have a ton of friends and family that live there. Oh man.

    I just called my sister who lives in the area. My mom was supposed to be at that bank this morning! Something happened where she didn't go, Thank the Lord! I have to call my mom now.
    SG, let us know if you find out any other info. Praying for everyone in Bessemer, here in Auburn/Opelika.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    279
    Though I'm an overnight pro gun kind of guy, I still think that locations like, banks, sporting events, large stores, etc should have metal detectors at the door. Though it helps if your average store employee scrutinizes an alarm detected. I walked into the local drug store after coming from the gun range with my snub-nosed 38 in my pocket. I had a bag full of perscription drugs in the other hand. I set the alarm off and the girl just looked up and said, "I see your perscription drugs. That must be it". A lot of good that did...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh View Post
    SG, let us know if you find out any other info. Praying for everyone in Bessemer, here in Auburn/Opelika.
    Thanks. I just talked to my mom. She was actually at the hospital across the street at the time of the robbery. You can see the top of the hospital in the picture in the link that Melly posted. Anyway she said that they didn't bring those injured into that hospital but airlifted them to Birmingham. That means the injuries are pretty bad. We still don't know if we know anybody involved or not. There is supposed to be a press conference tonight at 5:00 central time, so I hope to find out more then.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    132
    I just can't get over that the guy walked in and just started shooting... it makes no sense! I am a Wachovia employee, though I don't work in a branch, and this just makes me so sad for my co-workers and their families.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,107
    We have a bunch of relatives in that area. I wonder who the gunman was. There is no info about him. The article said he was shot. I'm assuming he survived.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains
    Posts
    4,182
    Saying prayers for all touched by this terrible event in Bessemer. Yes, this is so very horrible. My dad is a retired regional auditor for Wachovia, worked 38 years for Wachovia. I'm thankful he's out of the 'ratrace' now! And, sillygoose, I am so thankful your mom is ok! She definately had a guardian angel watching over her. God's comfort for all involved there!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,118
    Quote Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
    Thanks. I just talked to my mom. She was actually at the hospital across the street at the time of the robbery. You can see the top of the hospital in the picture in the link that Melly posted. Anyway she said that they didn't bring those injured into that hospital but airlifted them to Birmingham. That means the injuries are pretty bad. We still don't know if we know anybody involved or not. There is supposed to be a press conference tonight at 5:00 central time, so I hope to find out more then.
    Keep us posted, so glad your mom is safe!! I'm about to watch our 6 pm news out of Montgomery and see what they have to say.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    I just can't get over that the guy walked in and just started shooting... it makes no sense! I am a Wachovia employee, though I don't work in a branch, and this just makes me so sad for my co-workers and their families.
    I sent this story to a friend of mine in Ohio who has a criminal justice background and he said the guy was out to kill, not steal money, and it may end up being a personal vendetta against the bank, or against one of the tellers, more than a robbery attempt.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh View Post
    I sent this story to a friend of mine in Ohio who has a criminal justice background and he said the guy was out to kill, not steal money, and it may end up being a personal vendetta against the bank, or against one of the tellers, more than a robbery attempt.
    yeah, that was my thought as well...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    sillygoose, so glad your mom is okay

    It does sound like he was aiming to kill people not rob the place. I hope the pregnant mom wasn't his intended target. (not sure why it matters...but it makes me sad for some reason).

    prayers for the victims and their families. What a horrible thing.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    132
    Here are more details, including the names of the victim and bank robber:

    Bessemer bank robber identified as Birmingham man

    Posted by Birningham News staff May 14, 2007 5:53 PM


    Authorities this evening announced a Birmingham man, William Merriweather Jr., 30, has been charged with capital murder in the slaying this morning of two women banker workers in Bessemer.
    The two women who were shot to death inside a Wachovia branch bank during the holdup have been identified as Sheila McWaine and Eva Hudson.
    Two other people were wounded, when a gunman entered the bank shortly after it opened and unleashed a barrage of gunfire. The robber, now identified as Merriweather, briefly took the bank manager hostage. The robber was shot by lawmen when he tripped on the curb outside the bank. He was treated for a wound to the groin.


    </I></B></EM></STRONG>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY CA - Misty Holt-Singh, 41, hostage killed in Stockton bank robbery, 16 July 2014
    By zwiebel in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-21-2017, 07:46 PM
  2. OK - 2 Dead, 2 Injured After Eufaula Bank Robbery, Shootout
    By wfgodot in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2016, 11:14 PM
  3. GUILTY NJ - 3 dead, 1 injured in robbery, sex assault at Newark school, 4 Aug 2007
    By cathieq in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 10:37 AM
  4. GUILTY PA - Two guards killed, one injured in Philly armored car robbery, 4 Oct 2007
    By Pocono Sleuther in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 02:00 AM
  5. GUILTY DC - Andrew Butler & Christopher Avery for bank robbery, Reading, 2007
    By Mommyofthree in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Tags for this Thread