1112 users online (245 members and 867 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AL - Two tellers killed, 2 injured in Bessemer bank robbery, 14 May 2007

He just walked in and started shooting the tellers... one was pregnant

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/05/..._death_in.html

That pregnant teller should count for two counts of murder. Just horrible.
    I am in Alabama, about 90 min. from Bessemer, so this makes me extra-sick.

This is awful. This was my hometown. I was raised less than a mile from this bank. I read news stories about it earlier today but I didn't realize which bank in Bessemer that it was. I just wish I had the names of all the people hurt in this thing. I'm very worried now. I don't live near Bessemer now, but I have a ton of friends and family that live there. Oh man.

I just called my sister who lives in the area. My mom was supposed to be at that bank this morning! Something happened where she didn't go, Thank the Lord! I have to call my mom now.
    Last edited by sillygoose; 05-14-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: addition

aww thats so sad I wonder what kind of shape the robber is in?

And man hearing this sure does make me want to never go inside a bank again! I always feel uneasy walking to/from the bank as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
    This is awful. This was my hometown. I was raised less than a mile from this bank. I read news stories about it earlier today but I didn't realize which bank in Bessemer that it was. I just wish I had the names of all the people hurt in this thing. I'm very worried now. I don't live near Bessemer now, but I have a ton of friends and family that live there. Oh man.

I just called my sister who lives in the area. My mom was supposed to be at that bank this morning! Something happened where she didn't go, Thank the Lord! I have to call my mom now.
    SG, let us know if you find out any other info. Praying for everyone in Bessemer, here in Auburn/Opelika.

Though I'm an overnight pro gun kind of guy, I still think that locations like, banks, sporting events, large stores, etc should have metal detectors at the door. Though it helps if your average store employee scrutinizes an alarm detected. I walked into the local drug store after coming from the gun range with my snub-nosed 38 in my pocket. I had a bag full of perscription drugs in the other hand. I set the alarm off and the girl just looked up and said, "I see your perscription drugs. That must be it". A lot of good that did...

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh View Post
    SG, let us know if you find out any other info. Praying for everyone in Bessemer, here in Auburn/Opelika.
    Thanks. I just talked to my mom. She was actually at the hospital across the street at the time of the robbery. You can see the top of the hospital in the picture in the link that Melly posted. Anyway she said that they didn't bring those injured into that hospital but airlifted them to Birmingham. That means the injuries are pretty bad. We still don't know if we know anybody involved or not. There is supposed to be a press conference tonight at 5:00 central time, so I hope to find out more then.

I just can't get over that the guy walked in and just started shooting... it makes no sense! I am a Wachovia employee, though I don't work in a branch, and this just makes me so sad for my co-workers and their families.

We have a bunch of relatives in that area. I wonder who the gunman was. There is no info about him. The article said he was shot. I'm assuming he survived.

Saying prayers for all touched by this terrible event in Bessemer. Yes, this is so very horrible. My dad is a retired regional auditor for Wachovia, worked 38 years for Wachovia. I'm thankful he's out of the 'ratrace' now! And, sillygoose, I am so thankful your mom is ok! She definately had a guardian angel watching over her. God's comfort for all involved there!

Quote Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
    Thanks. I just talked to my mom. She was actually at the hospital across the street at the time of the robbery. You can see the top of the hospital in the picture in the link that Melly posted. Anyway she said that they didn't bring those injured into that hospital but airlifted them to Birmingham. That means the injuries are pretty bad. We still don't know if we know anybody involved or not. There is supposed to be a press conference tonight at 5:00 central time, so I hope to find out more then.
    Keep us posted, so glad your mom is safe!! I'm about to watch our 6 pm news out of Montgomery and see what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    I just can't get over that the guy walked in and just started shooting... it makes no sense! I am a Wachovia employee, though I don't work in a branch, and this just makes me so sad for my co-workers and their families.
    I sent this story to a friend of mine in Ohio who has a criminal justice background and he said the guy was out to kill, not steal money, and it may end up being a personal vendetta against the bank, or against one of the tellers, more than a robbery attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh View Post
    I sent this story to a friend of mine in Ohio who has a criminal justice background and he said the guy was out to kill, not steal money, and it may end up being a personal vendetta against the bank, or against one of the tellers, more than a robbery attempt.
    yeah, that was my thought as well...

sillygoose, so glad your mom is okay

It does sound like he was aiming to kill people not rob the place. I hope the pregnant mom wasn't his intended target. (not sure why it matters...but it makes me sad for some reason).

prayers for the victims and their families. What a horrible thing.

Here are more details, including the names of the victim and bank robber:

Bessemer bank robber identified as Birmingham man

Posted by Birningham News staff May 14, 2007 5:53 PM

Authorities this evening announced a Birmingham man, William Merriweather Jr., 30, has been charged with capital murder in the slaying this morning of two women banker workers in Bessemer.
    The two women who were shot to death inside a Wachovia branch bank during the holdup have been identified as Sheila McWaine and Eva Hudson.
    Two other people were wounded, when a gunman entered the bank shortly after it opened and unleashed a barrage of gunfire. The robber, now identified as Merriweather, briefly took the bank manager hostage. The robber was shot by lawmen when he tripped on the curb outside the bank. He was treated for a wound to the groin.

</I></B></EM></STRONG>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast