917 users online (180 members and 737 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Child kidnapper fights sex offender label

http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pb...WS02/705150332

By BILL HUGHES
    THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: May 15, 2007)
    Jack Moore admits that he kidnapped a 2-year-old girl during a botched home invasion 32 years ago in New Rochelle.
    The 53-year-old North Carolina resident, who served 20 years for the crime, said as much at a March court hearing in White Plains.
    What he can't understand is why New York state wants to label him for life as the most dangerous type of sex offender for the crime, which he maintains was simply a kidnapping for money.
    "There was no sexual component to this crime. There was never any suggestion that there was a sexual component to this crime," said Jeanne Mettler, one of Moore's court-appointed lawyers who is fighting to get his Level 3 sex offender designation rescinded.
    Under the state's Sex Offender Registration Act, anyone convicted of kidnapping a minor who is not his own child must register as a sex offender regardless of the circumstances.

click to read the rest.

Should'nt this guy be grateful he is out at all ?

ok what i got from this article was that law makers added child kidnappers to the list for 2 reasons. 1) the fact you did not sexual assault the child could just be luck because we caught you so quick. 2) it is the best way to notify the schools and public that some1 capable of stealing your child is in your area.

i personal think he should have a choice. put your name on the list or stay til the end of his sentence. he was given 20 to life. if he wants to stay in jail til he is dead he should not have to register imo.

I understand the argument, of course, but really???

It does make you think, though... I'm much more concerned about tracking people who commit crimes against children in any form (i.e. abuse, murder, and sex assault) than I am about tracking those who commit crimes against adults (even rape...)

And what's his main problem? That he can't get a job at a school? GOOD!!! That if he's asked in an interview about his registration he has to explain "Oh, I didn't have sex w/ a child, I just tried to rob her home and then took a 2 year old... not as big of a deal, really..." !!!!!

He needs to crawl back under his rock.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Ang50 View Post
    And what's his main problem? That he can't get a job at a school?
    I doubt that. It's probably because of harassment issues. While I have little sympathy towards kidnappers-for-money I have even less sympathy for child abusers/molesters even when they are the victim's parents. I can see why this man wouldn't want to be labeled as the latter. In a way it's like making someone pay for someone else's crimes. As far as I know this guy has neither molested nor harmed the child physically and he has done his (deserved) time for the kidnapping. He has never been charged with nor convicted of a sex crime so logically, he shouldn't be labeled as a sex offender, which is certainly worse than being a 'simple' ex-con, which he is. The sex offender registry shouldn't be used for other purposes than that of keeping track of a category of criminals (sex offenders) who are prone to re-offend and therefore constitute a specific threat the community needs to be aware of. Other than those, marginalizing other categories of criminals who have paid their debt to society will hamper their rehabilitation and could pressure them into reverting to a criminal lifestyle therefore creating a new threat rather than neutralizing one. The way things go I wouldn't be overly surprised if someday unpaid parking tickets will be all it takes to label one as a potential sex offender and add his/her name to the list 'just in case'.

with out him on the registry there is no way to stop him from working in a school. driving your kids on a bus. living next to a school. we have to protect a kid right to be safe over a kidnappers right to pick how he is labeled.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
    I doubt that. It's probably because of harassment issues. While I have little sympathy towards kidnappers-for-money I have even less sympathy for child abusers/molesters even when they are the victim's parents. I can see why this man wouldn't want to be labeled as the latter. In a way it's like making someone pay for someone else's crimes.
    Nah, this guy preys on kids. If you're willing to kidnap a child, you're one step away from killing the child.

Too bad that he doesn't want to be lumped in as a pervert. I want him on the registry as someone that victimizes children, whether sexually or not.

We can rename it, as far as I'm concerned. Call it "Sick Exploitative Freaks who Target Kids Registry".

I would be disagreeing if a state was trying to be too broad with the registry so that it would lose its ability to scare people and be a big punishment. But that's not the case here.

We can rename it, as far as I'm concerned. Call it "Sick Exploitative Freaks who Target Kids Registry".
    works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    with out him on the registry there is no way to stop him from working in a school.
    I wouldn't send my kids to a school that hires ex-cons but fortunately I do not know of any school that would do that.

I would be disagreeing if a state was trying to be too broad with the registry so that it would lose its ability to scare people and be a big punishment. But that's not the case here.
    It works for me too. My ex-BIL kidnapped & threatened to murder his own children to get back at my sister for leaving him. He was sentenced to 25 years for aggrivated kidnapping in TX - this translated to 12 years under the Texas prison system. Well, a case against another agg. kidnapper was thrown out & my BIL's case was reviewed. He pled & got out last September, after 7 years. TX is making him register as a level 3 as well, at least until the end of his sentence, from my understanding.

This guy kidnapped the child with the implied threat to kill the child unless he was paid to return them. He is lucky to be out at all.

I wouldn't send my kids to a school that hires ex-cons but fortunately I do not know of any school that would do that.
    florida school for the deaf and blind hires them for site work such as building repairs and such. this is a link to that story. http://ability.aol.com/ability/index.php?ID=528

Nah, this guy preys on kids. If you're willing to kidnap a child, you're one step away from killing the child.

Too bad that he doesn't want to be lumped in as a pervert. I want him on the registry as someone that victimizes children, whether sexually or not.
    People who do time on a regular basis for beating their kids to a pulp or even murdering them don't end up on the registry either, as long as they haven't been convicted of sexual abuse. If you want to put other categories of criminals on the sex offender registry then don't call it a sex offender registry. Criminal records exist for a reason.

People who do time on a regular basis for beating their kids to a pulp or even murdering them don't end up on the registry either, as long as they haven't been convicted of sexual abuse. If you want to put other categories of criminals on the sex offender registry then don't call it a sex offender registry. Criminal records exist for a reason.
    Actually - please see the post regarding my Brother in Law - he is on the registry in TX for agg. kidnapping of his own children. There was never any implied sexual abuse in his case. He held a gun to the head of his six year old daughter while she was on the phone with my sister, screaming that he was going to blow her F____ING brains out if she did not get her A$$ down there.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    florida school for the deaf and blind hires them for site work such as building repairs and such. this is a link to that story. http://ability.aol.com/ability/index.php?ID=528
    The fact that a school's stupid idea ended up on the news is a good indication that this is not common practice.

i thought the registry existed to keep kids safe. so that the public would know if some1 who is known to cause harm to children is in the area.
    Westchester District Attorney Janet DiFiore declined to comment on the case, citing the continuing appeals process, but in court transcripts from the hearing Assistant District Attorney Judith Berger argued that while Moore claimed he never intended to harm the child, he also claimed he never intended to kidnap the child, which he ultimately did.
    Berger also argued that the law is clear on requiring the registration of child kidnappers as a public safety interest. Schools and other types of facilities with "vulnerable populations" have a valid right to be informed that a convicted kidnapper is living, "in their midst," she said in court.

a four-judge panel with the state's Appellate Division found that the kidnapping of children by strangers is, "a frequent precursor to a sex offense," and that "the absence of a sexual element from the kidnapping may be the merely fortuitous result of the interruption of the offender's plan."
    The panel also ruled that the title of a law was "of little significance," as long as the wording of the actual law was not ambiguous in its meaning.
    "Whether in common parlance the defendant is a sex offender, or his offense is a sex offense, is of no legal significance where, as here, the Legislature has rationally chosen to categorize him or his offense as such," the panel ruled.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast