Children's exposure to pesticides

Autumn2004

Inactive
Reaction score
"The regulations are inadequate. In the vast majority of cases, people who didn't follow the laws received at best a $400 fine," said Margaret Reeves, a scientist with the Pesticide Action Network, a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco.

How can this be possible when it can cause paralysis, birth defects and death?? I always thought I was safer to stay with produce from usa but it might be just as bad as foreign coutries pesticides when I couldnt have access to organic. Its all about the dollar anymore :mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070516/ap_on_re_us/pesticides_schools;_ylt=Agr04FTj8jUOH5IZ9eYnkwEXIr0F

If they would just warn the schools or better yet do such things on the weekends or based on the direction of the wind it would be easy to avoid these accidents.

In most of the stories listed it was only one or two people so I wonder why more were not affected?

We need pesticides. If you look at the countries that do not use them they have a much higher rate of diseases like Malaria which certainly kill more children then a rare few accidents like described in the article.
Not to mention the destroyed crops which would run food prices up and cause a shortage (which is also why many children starve in countries that can't afford or banned pesticides)

If they would just warn the schools or better yet do such things on the weekends or based on the direction of the wind it would be easy to avoid these accidents.

In most of the stories listed it was only one or two people so I wonder why more were not affected?

We need pesticides. If you look at the countries that do not use them they have a much higher rate of diseases like Malaria which certainly kill more children then a rare few accidents like described in the article.
Not to mention the destroyed crops which would run food prices up and cause a shortage (which is also why many children starve in countries that can't afford or banned pesticides)

True, Im fortunate to be able to afford organic foods. It's better now than when ddt was used. They should have a certain area where crops need to be sprayed which are far enough away to not have to worry about children and others being affected. Didnt they list it before with ddt on the news when they were being sprayed? I remember some people would tape up windows and doors before they sprayed.

I hope they increase the fines to keep a fear instilled of the high cost of not following the law.

Wow... don't like this story at all. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get my produce at Wal-Mart. I've always wondered about pesticides used on the same produce. I live in a area that still has some suburbia left. On the occasion, I can buy tomatoes from an old guy selling from his truck. Looks like I need to support my local farmers a hell of a lot more...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back