Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    KMouse, I'm thinking CYA on the part of the police because if they had taken the girlfriend seriously, this case could've been closed 26 years ago? I'm not sure either though ... it is confusing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:

I am assuming there is a lot of stuff about the girlfriend that didn't make it to trial???

The girlfriend says she saw Candace a couple of times around the neighborhood. So then I was wondering if Grant was with the girlfriend any of these times. That was not asked of the gf on the stand. I am going to assume it was asked way back when and then again for this trial.

But I do not understand what significance any of the girlfriend testimony is. All it did was get it out there that Grant had escaped on an unrelated charge and that their relationship ended when he was apprehended on the unrelated charge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMouse For This Useful Post:

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    or maybe even she could've been saved, if they had done more questioning earlier ...

ETA: never mind the above - I think I need to do more reading to interpret her testimony and the police reaction to it
    Last edited by LadyL; 02-01-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: eta

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:

That's the golden question we will never know.

Now we are dealing with older memories, old notes if they exist, on top of the difference in forensics.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMouse For This Useful Post:

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=WinnipegHome
    Updated: Thu Feb. 03 2011 13:26:21

ctvwinnipeg.ca

The jury at the Candace Derksen murder trial heard more complex scientific testimony when proceedings resumed on Thursday morning.

Mark Edward Grant faces a charge for first-degree murder in the case, which dates back to November 1984.

He has pleaded not guilty.

The case has focused largely on DNA evidence so far, and the lawyers on both sides argued about the reliability of the scientific investigation into the death of 13-year-old Derksen almost 26 years ago.

Testimony began Thursday with Arlene Lahti, a scientist who specializes in mitochondrial DNA and who was a founder of a company called Molecular World.

In spring of 2007, Lahti received samples from the Derksen case. They were blood samples taken from numerous people, she testified.

That group included Dave Wiebe and Audrey Fontaine, who have previously testified about being suspects years ago in the Derksen case.

In cross examination, defence lawyer Saul Simmonds questioned Lahti about the possibility of contamination of mitochondrial DNA.

Simmonds also asked Lahti about the data that can be learned from mitochondrial DNA, which can rule out a person as a match to another DNA sample, but cannot specifically single out one individual as a match, without the use of additional information.

DNA expert accused of 'wing it' approach

By DEAN PRITCHARD, QMI Agency

WINNIPEG - Scientists entrusted to analyze DNA evidence allegedly connected to accused killer Mark Grant played loose with procedural protocols and wasted valuable evidence that could never be tested again, Grant's lawyer alleged Friday.

On Thursday, DNA scientist Curtis Hildebrandt told court seven hairs found on Candace Derksen's clothing and in the shed where she died shared the same DNA profile as Mark Grant.

On Friday, defence lawyer Saul Simmonds suggested Hildebrandt had a vested interest in developing a DNA profile that would connect Grant to the murder, as Hildebrandt had bought stock in his publicly traded employer, Warnex PRO-DNA.

read more:http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/20.../17165496.html

GUILTY!
    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/20.../17336486.html
    Guilty verdict in 1984 schoolgirl murder

By DEAN PRITCHARD, QMI Agency

Wilma and Cliff Derksen outside the courtroom after Mark Grant was found guilty of second degree murder in the death of Candace Derksen more than twenty years ago. (Chris Procaylo, QMI Agency)

WINNIPEG - After 26 years, a five-week trial and three days of tension filled deliberations, Wilma and Cliff Derksen finally know who killed their daughter Candace.

Before a courtroom packed with relatives, friends and media, jurors convicted Mark Edward Grant of second-degree murder

"We'll lay down roses and we are going to cry again and we are going to move on. Start something new. Start a new life," Wilma said.

Jurors deliberating Grant's fate did so with no knowledge of his violent criminal past, which included three convictions for rape in the past 23 years.

Grant will be sentenced at a later date to life in prison. The only question to decide is when he will be eligible for parole.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

"No one believes a word out of your mouth, why do you keep talking?" --Ryan Owens (ABC News)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KMouse For This Useful Post:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-sentence.html
    Mark Edward Grant, the man convicted of murder in the death of Winnipeg schoolgirl Candace Derksen, won't be eligible for parole for 25 years, Manitoba Chief Justice Glenn Joyal ruled Thursday.

Grant, 47, was found guilty of second-degree murder by a Queen's Bench jury on Feb. 18, following a five-week trial that focused on DNA evidence.

More to come

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

New.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/11/1...e-derksen-case

"Prosecutors fighting to uphold the conviction of Mark Grant in the 1984 murder of 13-year-old Candace Derksen brought their case to Canada's highest court Friday.

Manitoba Justice is appealing a ruling by Manitoba's Court of Appeal ordering a new trial for Grant.

Grant, 50, was convicted of second-degree murder in February 2011 following a lengthy jury trial. The Crown's case relied heavily on DNA evidence it said positively linked Grant to the killing"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

"Mother ‘just stunned’ after new trial ordered for man convicted in 1984 murder of her teen daughter"

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/03...teen-daughter/

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JusticeWillBeServed For This Useful Post:

I so hoped the SCC would uphold the original verdict, but it was a 7-0 decision to order a new trial. I don't know how this family keeps going, but the parents are representative of a masterclass in how to cope and go on after losing a child to murder. I've read both of Wilma Derksen's books, "Have You Seen Candace" and "This Mortal Coil" and I highly recommend both. The latter is especially gripping as Derksen goes through all the evidence and comes to terms with what she believes actually went on in the shed in Candace's final hours.

I wish the "second girl" would just admit once and for all that she made up her abduction and was just a 12-year-old girl looking for attention. I was a 12-year-old girl once (a long time ago) and can relate to her motives. Derksen's entire case hinges on this girl (now woman). I just can't believe the SCC didn't see the girl's case for what it was. This ruling is going to open a huge Pandora's Box for other accused people to bring up the idea of an "unknown third party" when it really shouldn't apply.

Whatever happens, I truly hope Wilma and Cliff Derksen can find peace...whatever that looks like for them.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Razor For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2