763 users online (104 members and 659 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bullying Teen Gets Public Punishment

Hooray for this mom! I wish there were more out there like her!

TEMECULA, Calif. - A seventh-grade girl got suspended from school for a week for bullying another student. Then Mom got involved, and things got worse for Miasha Williams.
    During the suspension week, the 12-year-old's mother, Ivory Spann, made her daughter stand outside various schools with a poster reading: "I engaged in bullying behavior. I got suspended from school and this street corner. Don't be like me. Stop bullying."
    "I don't want that kind of environment at the school my child attends, or the school any child attends," Spann said. (more @ link)
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18729564/

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    Hooray for this mom! I wish there were more out there like her!

TEMECULA, Calif. - A seventh-grade girl got suspended from school for a week for bullying another student. Then Mom got involved, and things got worse for Miasha Williams.
    During the suspension week, the 12-year-old's mother, Ivory Spann, made her daughter stand outside various schools with a poster reading: "I engaged in bullying behavior. I got suspended from school and this street corner. Don't be like me. Stop bullying."
    "I don't want that kind of environment at the school my child attends, or the school any child attends," Spann said. (more @ link)
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18729564/
    If there were more of her we would have less school shootings I cant imagine the teasing she will get from this
    Good Job Mom!

oh that is AWESOME! I would absolutely love to see this happen more often.
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

Now THAT is good parenting. Kudos to this mother.

They showed this on our local news. I thought, 'Good for you, mom!'

They filmed a couple of the times she was having to hold the sign up as school was going in or out for the day. She had to appear at a number of schools. I hope with this punishment, the message registered in some of these other students minds.

When the reporter spoke to the daughter, of course she was asked if she would bully again. "No," was her answer. I think she meant it.

My hat is off to this Mom, she takes being a mom seriously.

JMHO
    fran

Am I naive to think that kids who bully really have low self-esteem? Wouldn't this act make the child's self-esteem even worse? I hope that this girl gets some counseling to figure out why she bullies and ways to deal with her unacceptable behavior.

ETA: Another thought is this girl bullies because she has been bullied. Her mother's behavior could just be another sign of a harsh mother who continues to humiliate her daughter.

**I do not condone bullying. I'm just trying to look at the situation from a different angle.

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    Am I naive to think that kids who bully really have low self-esteem? Wouldn't this act make the child's self-esteem even worse? I hope that this girl gets some counseling to figure out why she bullies and ways to deal with her unacceptable behavior.

ETA: Another thought is this girl bullies because she has been bullied. Her mother's behavior could just be another sign of a harsh mother who continues to humiliate her daughter.

**I do not condone bullying. I'm just trying to look at the situation from a different angle.
    Nah, no need to overanalyze this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Nah, no need to overanalyze this one.
    LOL - That's what my husband would say!!

LOL - That's what my husband would say!!
    I'm getting married in September, so I'm brushing up on my husband-speak.

I wouldn't put too much thought into this one. Some girls are just plan mean spirited!!!!! Good for this mom now maybe her daughter won't grow up to be a nasty adult.

Well, best of you to you; and congratulations to the groom-to-be! I hope that you are very happy for the rest of your lives!!

P.S. You are doing very well on your husband-speak. I should know because I hear similar phrases quite a bit.

allow me to help. i will be married 14yrs in Nov. these things have helped my husband a great deal.

1. yes dear.
    2. i'm sorry.
    3. it's my fault.
    4. i love you.

grats and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    allow me to help. i will be married 14yrs in Nov. these things have helped my husband a great deal.

1. yes dear.
    2. i'm sorry.
    3. it's my fault.
    4. i love you.

grats and good luck.
    Hmmm...

Mine are more along the lines of, "Doesn't it get boring always being wrong?" or "Don't start; I don't feel like getting into that again." or as he is focused on a sports program, "Could you repeat what you said again?" or "You are so lucky that I saved you from the life you were leading." or "You are so lucky to be married to me."

Bear in mind, most things are said in jest; and I say the same things to him, too. Isn't it wonderful to be married??

Hmmm...

Mine are more along the lines of, "Doesn't it get boring always being wrong?" or "Don't start; I don't feel like getting into that again." or as he is focused on a sports program, "Could you repeat what you said again?" or "You are so lucky that I saved you from the life you were leading." or "You are so lucky to be married to me."

Bear in mind, most things are said in jest; and I say the same things to him, too. Isn't it wonderful to be married??
    depends when u ask..... kidding. you will love it Paladin.

I think I'm more excited about being a good parent, or aiming to be. The fiance is worried I'll be more of a friend to our kids than a parent and that she'll have to be "the mean one."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast