Media Criticized In Slaying With Racial Overtones

White Rain

Reaction score
I, for one, haven't heard anything about this murder and the sexual assault on the victims.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - In a powerful demonstration of the way the Internet has opened up the mainstream media to intensive second-guessing, bloggers are charging that news outlets have ignored the rape and murder of a young Knoxville couple because of the racial implications of the story.
The two victims were white; the five defendants are black.
The critics include mainstream conservatives, such as the National Review, and white supremacists. They have drawn comparisons to the Duke lacrosse rape case and wondered why the killings of Channon Christian, a 21-year-old University of Tennessee student, and her 23-year-old boyfriend, Christopher Newsom, are not getting the same attention from what the bloggers regard sneeringly as the liberal media.
"Oh, that's right, the victims were WHITE!" several conservative blogs have observed.
Or as National Review columnist Jack Dunphy commented online: "Uh oh, we're not supposed to talk about such things, are we." (more at link)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18745632/

I've been reading up on it in the Crimes in the News section, here's the LINK to the thread.

I, for one, haven't heard anything about this murder and the sexual assault on the victims.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - In a powerful demonstration of the way the Internet has opened up the mainstream media to intensive second-guessing, bloggers are charging that news outlets have ignored the rape and murder of a young Knoxville couple because of the racial implications of the story.
The two victims were white; the five defendants are black.
The critics include mainstream conservatives, such as the National Review, and white supremacists. They have drawn comparisons to the Duke lacrosse rape case and wondered why the killings of Channon Christian, a 21-year-old University of Tennessee student, and her 23-year-old boyfriend, Christopher Newsom, are not getting the same attention from what the bloggers regard sneeringly as the liberal media.
"Oh, that's right, the victims were WHITE!" several conservative blogs have observed.
Or as National Review columnist Jack Dunphy commented online: "Uh oh, we're not supposed to talk about such things, are we." (more at link)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18745632/

Of course, they must point out that the critics are all conservatives, and even white supremacists! Marginalizing the critics, as always.

The only news network that has done any reporting on this nationally was Fox News. They said they had got a lot of emails about the case. They mentioned the suspects were in court & the DA hasn't decided to seek the death penalty. Then they overtly covered up the facts & said they wouldn't go into detail about the murders because they are to "gruesome."

I can tell you if the races were reversed the media would be wondering "what is going on down south." & the details would be all over the national news. And the civil rights groups would be all over the talk shows claiming the south is still full of racism etc etc.

But since the victims were white, there is nobody speaking for them. The prosecutor hasn't even decided if this is a death penalty case or not.

I gotta to agree with the article. I haven't heard a thing about this crime. However I'm betting if it 5 whites brutally sexually assaulted, tormented and killed 2 black teens.....this would have been all over the news. With Jessie Jackson and Rev. Sharpton shouting it from the rooftops.

But since the victims were white, there is nobody speaking for them. The prosecutor hasn't even decided if this is a death penalty case or not.

OMG that is a travesty. :doh:
The is so a death penalty case.

I gotta to agree with the article. I haven't heard a thing about this crime. However I'm betting if it 5 whites brutally sexually assaulted, tormented and killed 2 black teens.....this would have been all over the news. With Jessie Jackson and Rev. Sharpton shouting it from the rooftops.

There is NO doubt about that! This could have been just another random murder, with the victims in the wrong place/wrong time, or whatever...but you better believe had the victims been black and the perps white it would have turned into this HUGE racial issue, RE, they were murdered because they were black and for that reason only.

thanks...SieSie, what do you think about this if you don't mind my asking?

Hi, White Rain, sorry I'm just getting back to this thread...

I'm not really sure what to think. I don't think that it was a racially motivated crime (at least I hope not), I think these animals were just plain evil and the 2 college students were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. However, I do see that if the shoe were on the other foot, and it was 2 black students killed by 5 white students, that it would've had Sharpton and Jackson and the likes shouting it from the rooftops.

I just wish that skin-color and religion and political affiliations, etc... didn't have to play a part in society, I personally hate all the "labels" (Liberal, Conservative, Black, White, Gay, Straight....) - we're all just HUMAN, but that's just MO and I know that there's no getting around it sometimes.

I hope that the death penalty is sought for this crime, as I can't imagine a more horrendous suffering than those 2 innocent victims went through.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back