ID - Officer Lee Newbill, 48, & 2 more killed in shooting spree, Moscow, 19 May 2007

Shadow205

Reaction score
MOSCOW, Idaho (AP) - Police in the small college town of Moscow, Idaho, say they think they have a gunman cornered in a church after two law officers and two civilians were wounded in bursts of automatic weapons fire overnight.

Police aren't releasing the condition of the victims or saying much about the incident yet. Assistant Police Chief David Duke identifies two of them as a city police officer and a county sheriff's deputy. They were wounded after somebody began shooting at the county courthouse late last night.
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=75480

<snip>

About 75 shots were fired in the attack and law enforcement officers surrounded the nearby First Presbyterian Church, where they believed the shooter or shooters are still inside, said David Duke, Moscow's assistant police chief.
Duke said the attack was apparently an ambush, with the shooter firing into the Latah County Courthouse to lure people into the line of fire.

<snip>

The incident began around 11 p.m. Saturday, when someone began shooting at the courthouse, Duke said. The courthouse, which includes the sheriff's office, was evacuated, Duke said. More than 30 shots were fired into the sheriff's dispatch center, but no one was injured, Duke said.
The final shot from inside the church was heard about 1 a.m., Duke said.
Officers have had no contact with the person in the church, he said.

more at the link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274013,00.html

It sounds like the gunman has probably already committed suicide.

Where is IM and CZ?????????????????????????????????????

Let us know you and yours are OK, PLEASE! :angel: (sorry, but beyond a little cautious this week...you all understand, I'm sure....) ;)

(CZ just replied to my email. She is safe and well.)

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2007/05/20/668070.html&cvqh=itn_idaho

MOSCOW, Idaho - An officer who was shot responding to a gunman spraying bullets at a courthouse died of his injuries Sunday, police said.

Law enforcement officers stormed the church Sunday where the gunman hid after shooting three people, including the officer, in an ambush late Saturday, police said. They found the body of the likely gunman and another man, police said.

Where is IM and CZ?????????????????????????????????????

Let us know you and yours are OK, PLEASE! :angel: (sorry, but beyond a little cautious this week...you all understand, I'm sure....) ;)

(CZ just replied to my email. She is safe and well.)

Hi Angelwings-

All's well here. We're in the southwestern part of the state and Moscow is in northern Idaho, pretty close to the Canadian border.

This is such a senseless crime. I'm just shaking my head, trying to understand what was solved by doing this. :(

Hi Angelwings-

All's well here. We're in the southwestern part of the state and Moscow is in northern Idaho, pretty close to the Canadian border.

This is such a senseless crime. I'm just shaking my head, trying to understand what was solved by doing this. :(

Thank You, IM! Whew....Can breathe a sigh of relief now...

It was insanely senseless! Makes me so angry...

I am thankful that you and yours are ok! TY for letting us know...

Moscow police officer killed in the line of duty

MOSCOW -- Police Officer Lee Newbill was a former Army Officer, a married father of three children, avid outdoorsman and now the first officer in Moscow, Idaho history to be killed in the line of duty when he was shot by an unknown assailant overnight near the Latah County Courthouse.

Lee Newbill, a self-proclaimed Marine Corps "Brat", came to North Idaho in the late 70s as a transfer student to the University of Idaho from the Northern Virginia Community College in Annadale. He was seeking a degree in Wildlife Management and also joined the Army's Reserve Officer Training Corps.

more:
http://www.kxly.com/news/?sect_rank=1ion_id=559&story_id=11185

What a waste of a good human life! Why???

Snippets:

MOSCOW -- Paul Bauer, the sexton of the First Presbyterian Church in Moscow, was killed overnight in an ambush that took the life of a Moscow Police Officer and the shooting suspect and left two others wounded.

Bauer had been a member of the church for two years and was very devoted to the church and its members, according to Reverend Fowler.

Bauer lived alone in an apartment on the church grounds and was a night owl and was often up late night at working on various projects.

http://www.kxly.com/news/?sect_rank=1ion_id=559&story_id=11187

Another good man, gunned down for no apparent reason.

MOSCOW -- Jason Hamilton, the gunman who killed three people and wounded two others before taking his own life in Moscow over the weekend, had a violent history and once told a psychiatrist if he were to commit suicide he would take a large number of people with him.

Moscow Assistant Police Chief David Duke said Monday morning that Hamilton, 36, had a long criminal history and had undergone a court-ordered mental evaluation in February in Lewiston. During that evaluation Hamilton talked about his thoughts on homicide and suicide and said that if he did commit suicide, he would try and take a large number of people with him.

After authorities confirmed Jason Hamilton’s identity troopers with the Idaho State Police went to his home at 1020 Julienne Way to conduct a welfare check on his wife Crystal. Inside a bedroom they found Crystal dead from a single gunshot wound to the head.

more at the link http://www.kxly.com/news/?sect_rank=1&section_id=559&story_id=11220

I didn't know that he had started off by killing his wife. This guy sent up flags all over the place and yet he was out walking the streets. It is a shame and it is happening way to often.

I heard earlier today that this disturbed man's motive was to off his wife. How awful that he did just that but even worse that he felt compelled to take others out in the process.

It's odd to me that he was sent to Lewiston for mental health care. I would think there would be plenty of good mental health care providers right there in Moscow, with Gritman Hospital being there.

Has anyone heard how the other wounded officer is doing? Heard he sent his wife home from his hospital bedside from day one, so she could go care for their 16 month old baby. He told her to lock the door; don't answer it; and unplug the phone. Thank heavens, at least he survived

~snip~once told a psychiatrist if he were to commit suicide he would take a large number of people with him.

Additional quote from the article:
"On September 10, 2006 he was arrested for felony strangulation for strangling his girlfriend..."

It's bad enough that people who could become violent (ie the VTech shooter) aren't mandated to accept some type of mental health treatment because they haven't actually harmed anyone. This whack-job made it clear that he wanted to take innocent bystanders with him and had a documented history of violence, but was still on the street.

How many chances does our legal system hand out? I guess the judge in the strangulation case figured that since Hamilton didn't actually kill her, he only needed a few months to rehabilitate. And don't do it again!

Got the answer to the question I posted above, on last night's news. The other injured Moscow PO was up walking around in the hospital yesterday, assisted by a cane.

Also, saw more coverage and that shooter really scared the heck out of quite a number of people in Moscow. The poor little dispatcher said she thought for sure she was going to be killed, right then and there. Her vehicle got pretty shot up, along with a number of other police cruisers.

A guy in a neighborhood a couple blocks away heard all the shooting, grabbed his gun and went to see if he could assist somehow. He ended up getting shot two or three times; and pretty traumatized to boot.

It's just a plain shame this tragedy had to happen in such a beautiful little college town!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back