Question regarding available resources and an idea.

TCMom

Reaction score
I've been interested in unsolved mysteries, if you will, for as long as I can remember.

I recently started working for one of the major dating/matchmaking websites and it sparked an idea.

Is there a resource that law enforcement (or anyone i guess) uses that provides a match between missing people and unidentified decedents? I'm aware of all the websites like the Charleyproject, the Doe Network, etc, but nothing that does matching like the dating websites.

It would be a database that stored all information on all of these missing people and uids and match them up based on percent match. So you could type in all the information for Princess Blue and come up with all of her matches to missing girls based on a percentage of matching known traits. I envision it working just like a dating website, only it would match up missing people and uids instead of males and females.

I am a computer geek, but not nearly smart enough to put all this together. I'm in QA so I don't really do any actual development myself. If there wasn't anything available like this, I'm wondering if we could get together enough skilled volunteers to undertake the project.

Have I lost my mind with this idea?

I've been interested in unsolved mysteries, if you will, for as long as I can remember.

I recently started working for one of the major dating/matchmaking websites and it sparked an idea.

Is there a resource that law enforcement (or anyone i guess) uses that provides a match between missing people and unidentified decedents? I'm aware of all the websites like the Charleyproject, the Doe Network, etc, but nothing that does matching like the dating websites.

It would be a database that stored all information on all of these missing people and uids and match them up based on percent match. So you could type in all the information for Princess Blue and come up with all of her matches to missing girls based on a percentage of matching known traits. I envision it working just like a dating website, only it would match up missing people and uids instead of males and females.

I am a computer geek, but not nearly smart enough to put all this together. I'm in QA so I don't really do any actual development myself. If there wasn't anything available like this, I'm wondering if we could get together enough skilled volunteers to undertake the project.

Have I lost my mind with this idea?

I think that theoretically, this is the idea behind the NCIC set up. A national computer database, although it is only as good as the information entired into it.

I think that is a great idea! NCIC is set up somewhat like that, but I think so much falls between the cracks there. Medusa is correct in saying it is only as good as the info entered into it. Now...how do we go about getting someone to take this idea seriously?

It looks like NCIC is only available to LE. If we got something like that set up for the general public, family members could enter data. I'd be willing to enter in all the information from all the UID sites and missing people that I could find.

(The weirdo in me has considered doing it in an Excel spreadsheet so that I could sort on different characteristics.)

That is interesting TCMom! I have seen some sites that have databases of things like tattoos, but I haven't seen matching by percentages. I have wondered about this kind of thing and the legalities of it. I just wondered if just anybody can post that kind of info. Or if it is copywrited or something. (photos and info on missing and undentified).

One thing that I would like to do is find connections between unsolved murders of children. I think many are connected and the killer is living free. :( (For ex. Riley Fox)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back