1008 users online (176 members and 832 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?

AL-1977 victim identified as Bobby Kellum

A thread about this case is located in the Cold Cases forum.

On May 18, 1977, in Marshall County, Alabama, (article contains autopsy photo) a man's body was found burned, spray painted and with his throat slashed in the Martling Cemetery. The victim had been covered in yellow paint, his throat had been cut from ear to ear, and a liquid had been poured on him that burned off his fingerprints.

After publicity on the case's 30th anniversary, a Limestone County family believed they knew who the victim was - their son and brother, Robert (Bobby) Kellum, who had never been reported missing.

The former Coroner agreed with the family and samples of bone and teeth recently underwent DNA testing, confirming thatthe identity of the man found murdered 30 years ago is indeed Bobby Kellum.

LE knows who killed him, how they did it and why they did it, but those people will not spend one day in jail for their crime. Reporter George Jones has written an excellent in depth article about this case.

Why would you not report a loved one missing? I just don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
    spazkat, I have often wondered that myself. It's very sad.

Given the time frame and the fact that he is male, The family probably just considered him a runaway and didn't think they could report it.

Or, as much as I hate to say it, some people are not loved and cared about. Sad, but true.

Hoppy

True hoppyfrog that sadly is ofter the case.
    I personally am just never suprised that these missing kids from the 70's weren't reported b/c it was the trend to hitchhike and runaway for kids back then. Plus, many parents were naive to the dangers of runaways and missing kids back then. for most it wasn't until the late 70's early 80's that they realized how dangerous it was. I suspect that many of our John and Jane Does are simply teens and early adults who ranaway or who's abduction was not taken seriously by authorities.

The link for the in depth article mentioned earlier is no longer valid. Just updating here with info on his murderers and a current link.

Kellum of Athens was employed at the Fraternal Order of Police Fair in Anniston between May 2-14, where he met a 17-year-old girl who lived two blocks from the fairgrounds. Kellum and the girl left Anniston just before the fair left town, the sheriff said, and traveled to Kellum’s home in Athens, where they spent a couple of days.

The two returned to Anniston on May 15, 1977, where they were picked up walking down Alabama Highway 21 by the girl’s father, DeWitt Thrash, and a man named Brooks, also of Anniston, Walls said. Thrash and Brooks took the girl home and told the family they were going to take Kellum back to the highway or to his home in Athens.

Walls said the men returned to Marshall County, where they picked up a man by the name of Barnes, and drove to the Martling community. The sheriff said all the men had been drinking heavily, including Kellum.

When they arrived at the Martling Cemetery, Walls said, Thrash pulled a knife and slit Kellum’s throat.
    Last edited by miamaia; 03-25-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: better link

Quote Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
    He was a legal adult and was in trouble over writing some bad checks. If he were reported missing, that would probably screw up his probation and he'd have to go to jail.

was he related to the Kellums around Jacksonville fl?

you would think they would have reported it

that's horrible

I suspect you are correct esp in the 70's

sad but true

you would still think they would have tried.

sad they got away with it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast