1215 users online (220 members and 995 guests)  

Websleuths News

Thumbs up Boy who slept in trash bin is student of the year

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18825202/?GT1=9951

*from article:

DECATUR, Ala. Eleven-year-old D.J. Graffree didn't realize he was a child.
    For much of his life, he was a cocky kid who didn't need any adults to look after him or tell him what to do. He was always in and out of schools in his small town outside of Jackson, Miss. He spent a lot of times out on the streets.
    At one point, he slept in a trash bin to stay warm.

Yet two weeks ago, D.J. was named Decatur City Schools' Elementary Student of the Year.
    D.J.'s face was bewildered when the honor was announced at the school system's annual breakfast May 10. His cousin and guardian Patti Lewis' face was first joyful, then tearful.

*End snip- more at link above

I am so happy that the schools gave him this honor! This is exactly what it takes to keep him driving on. Kudos!
    ~*~Think Globally, Act Locally! Please Recycle! ~*~

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I love this story. He has worked hard to turn himself around. Thank God for the kind cousin who took him in even though he was a handful at first.

Kudos to D.J. and his cousin and her husband!

thanks ember, this is a great true life story. Sadly,I dont think it will get many comments or much real life attention. Most people prefer to use their past as an answer for why they can't rise to the occasion later, character wise. This kid is making a clear statement by his actions. His statement is that our past doesn't rule our future, we do. Most people are not comfortable taking that much responsibility in life.

Good for him though! And I agree with sewingdeb on kudos for his cousin for lending a hand of support!
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

What an honor. Congrats DJ!

Quote Originally Posted by ember View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18825202/?GT1=9951

*from article:

DECATUR, Ala. Eleven-year-old D.J. Graffree didn't realize he was a child.
    For much of his life, he was a cocky kid who didn't need any adults to look after him or tell him what to do. He was always in and out of schools in his small town outside of Jackson, Miss. He spent a lot of times out on the streets.
    At one point, he slept in a trash bin to stay warm.

Yet two weeks ago, D.J. was named Decatur City Schools' Elementary Student of the Year.
    D.J.'s face was bewildered when the honor was announced at the school system's annual breakfast May 10. His cousin and guardian Patti Lewis' face was first joyful, then tearful.

*End snip- more at link above

I am so happy that the schools gave him this honor! This is exactly what it takes to keep him driving on. Kudos!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

I love good news stories! This is very inspirational. Congrats D.J.!

Stuff like this brings tears to my eyes..... Congrats to DJ! His cousin sounds like a wonderful lady!

What a precious story.

aww this little boy just brought tears of joy to my eyes. God bless him and his wonderful cousin for having the courage and love in her heart to take this young man in.

This story made me cry. I am so happy for this young man, I hope he continues down the right path.
    Happy New Years

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Aww Good for him!! He should be so very proud of himself! G0d bless his Cousin for giving him this chance!

WOW!!!! D.J.'s Cousin probably never thought that she would literally change this little boys life. Simply amazing.

This article should be sent to Oprah. She is the type of person who would honor the cousin for taking this boy and his brother to raise. She also would honor this young man. He needs someone to step forward and give him a scholarship!!

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    This article should be sent to Oprah. She is the type of person who would honor the cousin for taking this boy and his brother to raise. She also would honor this young man. He needs someone to step forward and give him a scholarship!!

I agree!!!!

Great Story !!

Way to go DJ and kudos to his sweet cousin who took him in.