819 users online (173 members and 646 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #2

Continue discussion here

I'd just like to know how an Federal agent with a job to do and didn't even do due diligence was conned? Let me rephrase that, an FBI agent who didn't do
    ANYTHING?

OD

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dominion View Post
    I'd just like to know how an Federal agent with a job to do and didn't even do due diligence was conned? Let me rephrase that, an FBI agent who didn't do
    ANYTHING?

OD
    Thats what I am saying too--- how do you get conned when you do no digging?

My question is this:

Did they really just have one agent leading this whole investigation?

I find it so amazing/hard to believe that no one else said, "Hey, do you think we could have been off on the description? Do you think it's possible Mayfield could be our guy? Do you think we should look at him one more time just to rule him out?"

And that H-back would have the weight to say no without it coming back to bite him in the butt.

Really???

Who else worked on this?

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    My question is this:

Did they really just have one agent leading this whole investigation?

I find it so amazing/hard to believe that no one else said, "Hey, do you think we could have been off on the description? Do you think it's possible Mayfield could be our guy? Do you think we should look at him one more time just to rule him out?"

And that H-back would have the weight to say no without it coming back to bite him in the butt.

Really???

Who else worked on this?
    You hit the nail on the head.

Where were his supervisers? Why couldn't another agent go over H=bach and say, hey, I think H-bach is overlooking an obvious candidate?

Yes, it is true that there was only one agent assigned to this case.

When the crime first happened, every agent in Portland helped the first few days. Eventually, after about one month, h-bach was the only agent still assigned to the case.

H-bach was never, ever, rotated off this case. No cold case squad. Nothing.

In my mind, another huge error by the FBI, was when H-bach retired.

After h=bach retired, a new agent was assigned to this case. So, the FBI did not just want this case to go away.

The new agents, were also very, very lazy.

When a tip would come in. The new agent, this is after 1980, would simply call H-bach at home, give H-bach the tip, and H-bach would say,"we already looked at him, don't waste your time" (anybody want to take a guess and see if h-bach was paid as a "consultant" by the FBI in addition to his pension.)

the new agent, never, ever, did start from the beginning.

the new agent would simply investigate new leads, but, only "brand new names", not names which had already been called in.

That is a huge, huge, flaw.

Also, don't forget. The Seattle office also had an agent in charge of the investigation in Seattle. So, h-bach could have thought the Seattle office blew it, Cooper was dead, or other things.

left

Quote Originally Posted by j2mirish View Post
    Thats what I am saying too--- how do you get conned when you do no digging?
    But he did. Once he got a tip about a logger, who retired at 45, and started a new business. the guy had no criminal record, no skydiving experience, wasn't a pilot, etc.

But, H-bach did do his job. He asked the guy where he was that night. the guy had an alibi, h-bach checked it out, and eliminated him

left

Quote Originally Posted by leftcoast View Post
    But he did. Once he got a tip about a logger, who retired at 45, and started a new business. the guy had no criminal record, no skydiving experience, wasn't a pilot, etc.

But, H-bach did do his job. He asked the guy where he was that night. the guy had an alibi, h-bach checked it out, and eliminated him

left
    I meant digging on YOUR guy !!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dominion View Post
    ANYTHING?

OD
    This case was solved by us in 2001. But, we still have people who are not convinced.

I have one lady who used to date Ted, who "insists" he is not capable of such an act. Is he capable of armed robbery? then, he is capable of hijacking a jet.

Another man told me that he "never knew Ted to smoke". Well, I guess we should eliminate Ted.

Another told me Ted is too short. I guess we should eliminate him.

another told me "he is too obvious".

And people wonder why this case has made me crazy.

left

I meant digging on YOUR guy !!
    does make you wonder.

Is this stupidity, tunnel vision, or worse.

Heck, Ted even assisted the FBI with the investigation.

HE was nice enough to let the FBI look through his records, and h-bach would even call Ted and ask him about certain suspects, and TEd would identify the suspects.

One guy Ted helped identify was in jail. Gee, I wonder how he knew him?

And people wonder why Ted never fled. He knew within two hours after the crime that he probably had gotten away with the crime. He had no idea that 35 years later, people would still be looking for him. That is why he might have placed that money on the bank of the Columbia, hoping the fBI would think Cooper drowned, and the case would be closed. It's either that, or the money was hidden that night, on the way home, and the three packets settled into the sand, and he couldn't find them when he returned. Don't forget, he never did count the money on the plane. He could have assumed that the fbi shorted him.

left

does make you wonder.

Is this stupidity, tunnel vision, or worse.

Heck, Ted even assisted the FBI with the investigation.

HE was nice enough to let the FBI look through his records, and h-bach would even call Ted and ask him about certain suspects, and TEd would identify the suspects.

One guy Ted helped identify was in jail. Gee, I wonder how he knew him?

left
    and I wonder why h-bach felt so comfortable asking for his help???
    I dont know lc........I think h-bach & teddy might be much better friends than ever thought---

and I wonder why h-bach felt so comfortable asking for his help???
    I dont know lc........I think h-bach & teddy might be much better friends than ever thought---
    We have not ruled anything out in this case.

We have considered all scenarios from the beginning.

We know we have Cooper, but, is that the entire story?

left

We have not ruled anything out in this case.

We have considered all scenarios from the beginning.

We know we have Cooper, but, is that the entire story?

left
    maybe not........perhaps just chapter one !

maybe not........perhaps just chapter one !
    Yep.

One thing I have learned from solving this case, is that when you are unsure, write down points for both sides of the argument

for example, play devil's advocate.

If you think someone is guilty, write down the possible reasons why they may be innocent. And vice versa.

However, there are times when someone will look guilty, and is simply not.

And there are times when someone looks innocent, and is guilty.

left

Did anyone ever find the IE segment online?

Quote Originally Posted by Jodibug View Post
    Did anyone ever find the IE segment online?
    JOdi

I checked with IE, it is not on the web right now. I requested them putting it up, but I can't guarantee it.

I have an associate in media, and I will ask that person to post it to youtube, or a seperate file. I just don't know when this person will be able to do it.

left

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast