Timeline

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Short version of a time line:
April 1, 1971 Rose ran away, she was found and release to mother's custody (Flint, MI)
April 2, 1971 Court Date (Flint, MI)
April 21, 1971 Rose was assigned a parole officer (Lois Sullivan)
Sent to Jackson Juvenile facility
Sept. (?) 1972, at the age of 15, she was sent to Synanon Foundation in Oakland, CA by order of the Flint MI court
Oct 15, 1972 First letter from the Synanon
Nov 17, 1972 Second letter from the Synanon
Dec 15, 1972 Third letter - She indicated that she had ran away from the Synanon
Dec 23, 1972 Wrote Fourth letter - Her 16th Birthday
Jan ?, 1973 Sent a post card to her step mother.
Feb 3, 1973 Mailed fourth letter - "Sorry but I just got a stamp!", she wrote.
Jan 4th 1974 Petition to the court of Michigan was granted to drop all charges, she was 17
(This petition stated that Rose was present at the hearing...but one one had seen or heard from her since her last letter in 73. Was she in Flint or was this a coverup by the court???)

03-26-2006, 12:30 PM
HeartofTexas

She visited a ranch in Tomales Bay. She describes the place as beautiful and peaceful. She also called it a Boot Camp. She was interviewed to be sent to live there but only wanted to visit. She lived at the Center.

Rose and a girl named Ruth were the youngest ones in Oct 15, 1972. They visited the ranch together.

Fall of 1972. William "Buckwheat" Thomas from the Little Rascals visited the Center. She makes reference to this in another letter. Buckwheat dedicated most of his life to help kids on drugs around the CA area.

You know Chirstine, there is something that has been bugging me for a long time. We have seen reference made to Rose & "Ruth" being the youngest memebers at Synanon more than once. The people who have provided information about Synanon never remember them. That just doesn't set well with me. Being the youngest females there would definitely stand out so why doesn't anyone remember Rose? I also wish that we could find out more about Ruth, Why was she there? Did her and Rose runaway together? Did they keep in touch with each other? Somebody should know who this "Ruth" is.

You know Chirstine, there is something that has been bugging me for a long time. We have seen reference made to Rose & "Ruth" being the youngest memebers at Synanon more than once. The people who have provided information about Synanon never remember them. That just doesn't set well with me. Being the youngest females there would definitely stand out so why doesn't anyone remember Rose? I also wish that we could find out more about Ruth, Why was she there? Did her and Rose runaway together? Did they keep in touch with each other? Somebody should know who this "Ruth" is.

GMTA...I was thinking earlier, how could they have been the 'youngest' members??? We have seen many pictures of children there, what am I not understanding?

The reason Rose and Ruth (I am Ruth) were the youngest there is because there were two different types of residents in Synanon at that time: the drug addicts and the "lifestylers." Lifestylers sometimes had their kids with them. For troubled kids, 15 years was the youngest they would take us. Rose and I were both 15 at that time.

Unfortunately, I don't remember Rose, wish I did. I was there because I was a young alcoholic and drug addict, and my mother and grandparents thought they were doing a good thing (keeping me out of trouble, off the streets) by sending me to Synanon. They didn't know it was a cult, and had just started the Boot Camp at Tomales Bay (which was the beginning of their sort of "militarization" and violence). I did go live at Tomales Bay, and I'm guessing that Rose didnt.

I'm traveling now, but when I get home, I will go through the letters I wrote when I was in Synanon (brief period, from summer '72 thru Jan/Feb '73) to see if I mentioned Rose.

So, I'm Ruth Rinehart, and I was 15 yrs old when I worked in the kitchen in the Oakland Synanon facility in 1972. I'm sure I'm the one Rose referred to her in her letter. I wish I could help, but I don't really remember her. I'm sure we visited Tomales Bay and the Boot Camp the same day. I went to live in Tomales Bay, but i don't think Rose did. Not that I can help much, but you can contact me at ruth @ threetrusts.com.

Again thank you for joining us, Ruth! I do have a few questions though:

While you were at Oakland or Tomales Bay did you know or hear about a guy named Rick? Rose mentioned him in one of her letters to her stepmother as the guy who "gamed" her and prompted her to run away from Synanon. I feel details about him might be important later.

Are you still in contact with anyone else at Synanon who may have had dealings with Rose? If yes, do you think any of them might be interested in sharing anything they remember with us? Even anonymously?

And I realize this may be a touchy issue, but would you be willing to post anything from your old letters from 1972 on this website? Even a short summary would be fine. Anything that may shed some light on this case!

And would you have any old photos, fliers, or anything else that might be relavent? You never know what might be the clue we're all looking for!

Thanks again!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back