1199 users online (235 members and 964 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,289

    Texas Storms, 5 Dead 1 Missing

    I grew up in Killeen! Thankfully (as far as I know) no one I know fits these descriptions.
    Sadie Mae can you tell us how it's going there?!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070526/.../plains_storms
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    202
    I live in Fredericksburg where someone went around a barracaide and as far as I know still hasnt been found. Everyone in this area knows that that particular low water crossing is VERY low and is closed every time we have heavy rains.

    The sad part in all of this is that there was another road that Im sure he knew about, and if he would have backed up and gone down that road, he would not have hit a low water crossing.

    From what I have found out from friends, we were expecting rain but no one expected 8 inches from around 6 pm to 2 am. I have lived here since 1979 and this is the most water that I have seen flowing in the creeks and rivers. Creeks that normally are semi-dry/barely flowing were up about 25 feet. Its almost like---where did this water come from??

    The people here know that when the creeks have risen, you should try to stay at home because even though you were able to get out of the house and make it to town, you may not be able to get back to your house later in the day.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,415
    My thoughts and prayers are with the familys that have lost loved ones, and I pray that no one else is killed or hurt and that the storms subside.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nestled Deep in Southern Hospitality
    Posts
    20,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Txmom View Post
    I live in Fredericksburg where someone went around a barricade and as far as I know still hasn't been found. Everyone in this area knows that that particular low water crossing is VERY low and is closed every time we have heavy rains.

    The sad part in all of this is that there was another road that Im sure he knew about, and if he would have backed up and gone down that road, he would not have hit a low water crossing.

    From what I have found out from friends, we were expecting rain but no one expected 8 inches from around 6 pm to 2 am. I have lived here since 1979 and this is the most water that I have seen flowing in the creeks and rivers. Creeks that normally are semi-dry/barely flowing were up about 25 feet. Its almost like---where did this water come from??

    The people here know that when the creeks have risen, you should try to stay at home because even though you were able to get out of the house and make it to town, you may not be able to get back to your house later in the day.
    More people lose their lives because of the raging water than the actual storms themselves.

    LE constantly tell the citizens do not go across any running water. It can be swift and much deeper than we expect and the road underneath it can be washed away.

    My heart goes out to these families.

    imoo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,289
    Here are some picture my friend in Killeen took. There is a ditch that divides the road in front of her house.

    this is the ditch filling up with water:
    http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...iemt/ditch.jpg

    and heres another:
    http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...eruptoroad.jpg
    Last edited by MissieMt; 05-27-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: removed pic of Ft.Hood, to keep my ex-military hubby from having a heart attack
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,822
    BF and I just got back from a 1 hr motorcycle ride - took it out to go see some of the rural roads, etc. We're a little north of Killeen. He's a firefighter and was on duty yesterday - they had several high water calls yesterday morning.

    We have 2 main roads to get to "town;" - one is closed due to flooding. I should have taken a camera. The road/bridge/corresponding fields and pastures are just one big lake. Unreal. Found several other roads closed - and many people were down surveying the scenes.

    What's so weird is that less than 2 months ago it was looking like 2007 was going to be another drought year here. Last year was just so sad, the farmers and those with livestock have been struggling to find hay, etc. There's a pasture just a mile away from here that has a pond/tank for their livestock. Last fall it was completely dried up (first time I've ever seen it dry) - so much so that they came in and bulldozed it, worked on the surface, etc. Well, it's flooded the banks now...


    As posters were mentioning those who drive in unsafe areas, one of our local
    TV stations has now coined a new saying when they're doing the weather: "Turn around, don't drown." At first I thought it was kinda cheesy - but honestly, if it helps anyone!!! think more about what they're doing in these types of situations, then good for them.
    Last edited by DEPUTYDAWG; 05-27-2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: bad grammar, LOL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by MissieMt View Post
    I grew up in Killeen! Thankfully (as far as I know) no one I know fits these descriptions.
    Sadie Mae can you tell us how it's going there?!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070526/.../plains_storms
    Yes, hope Sadie Mae checks in!

    Killeen/Belton/Bell and Coryell Counties have really received the brunt of the worst. More rain in store for the next few days, but I think the chances of rain are tapering off after today. At the moment (!) it's better and the sun is popping out right now - becoming nice and humid.

    Guess San Saba and that area have also received a tremendous amount. And it looked like areas between Bryan and Houston were getting slammed this afternoon.

    Hope everyone is paying attention to their local surroundings.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,295
    The flash flooding freaked me out so much when we lived in Austin for two years. I knew where all the flood spots in Houston were from growing up there--but Austin, I didn't know all the low spots, and I was a nervous wreck when it rained.

    The "Turn around, don't drown" was coined by the National Weather Service or one of those government agencies, to stop people from driving through flood barricades.

    As little as 6 inches of moving water will lift a car and move it.

    We have a couple of low spots that will flood in our neighborhood, but I make a big deal of turning around and talking about it so my kids will know that we never, never drive through water, even if we think we know we can make it.
    I want them to regard that as one of the 11 Commandments!

    And even a little bit of water will cause damage--Mr. Texana drove through some higher water last summer, got stuck in traffic at a low spot, and while his car made it through, it warped the rotors on his brakes to the tune of a new brake job.

    I'm sad for the lives that were lost--

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Texana View Post
    The flash flooding freaked me out so much when we lived in Austin for two years. I knew where all the flood spots in Houston were from growing up there--but Austin, I didn't know all the low spots, and I was a nervous wreck when it rained.

    The "Turn around, don't drown" was coined by the National Weather Service or one of those government agencies, to stop people from driving through flood barricades.

    As little as 6 inches of moving water will lift a car and move it.

    We have a couple of low spots that will flood in our neighborhood, but I make a big deal of turning around and talking about it so my kids will know that we never, never drive through water, even if we think we know we can make it.
    I want them to regard that as one of the 11 Commandments!

    And even a little bit of water will cause damage--Mr. Texana drove through some higher water last summer, got stuck in traffic at a low spot, and while his car made it through, it warped the rotors on his brakes to the tune of a new brake job.

    I'm sad for the lives that were lost--
    Oh, okay...I didn't know that's where it came from. So far, I've only heard it on our ABC station. Thanks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    About 40 miles outside of Dallas, we've had pretty much rain for days and days. We've had to open the spout on the pool twice. Very good for my lawn though!!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dumpwater, Arkansas..LOL
    Posts
    5,338

    Post

    Please send some my way. We need rain! My grass is already dying. I don't water it, because I wouldn't be able to afford my water bill! Jeana!
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

    The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Txmom View Post
    I live in Fredericksburg where someone went around a barracaide and as far as I know still hasnt been found. Everyone in this area knows that that particular low water crossing is VERY low and is closed every time we have heavy rains.

    The sad part in all of this is that there was another road that Im sure he knew about, and if he would have backed up and gone down that road, he would not have hit a low water crossing.

    From what I have found out from friends, we were expecting rain but no one expected 8 inches from around 6 pm to 2 am. I have lived here since 1979 and this is the most water that I have seen flowing in the creeks and rivers. Creeks that normally are semi-dry/barely flowing were up about 25 feet. Its almost like---where did this water come from??

    The people here know that when the creeks have risen, you should try to stay at home because even though you were able to get out of the house and make it to town, you may not be able to get back to your house later in the day.
    I was just in Fredericksburg a couple of days ago - the waters were rushing unbelievably high and rough - we saw them from the major highway. We still climbed Enchanted Rock and all; I think we came in after the rains had hit; but we were plenty careful. Y'all and san Antonio were hit the worst I think.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by DEPUTYDAWG View Post
    Yes, hope Sadie Mae checks in!

    Killeen/Belton/Bell and Coryell Counties have really received the brunt of the worst. More rain in store for the next few days, but I think the chances of rain are tapering off after today. At the moment (!) it's better and the sun is popping out right now - becoming nice and humid.

    Guess San Saba and that area have also received a tremendous amount. And it looked like areas between Bryan and Houston were getting slammed this afternoon.

    Hope everyone is paying attention to their local surroundings.
    I have family in Bryan and they have had nonstop rain for days! In Austin we got a break! My backyard is a huge mud pit though for the dogs....so nice...grrrrr.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,543
    I talked to a friend of mine last night in Killeen she said more rain is coming! She was telling me about a lady who was driving with her 4 kids and the water was too deep she managed to get out and save two of her kids but the other two didnt make it. This happened one street over from her house. She said also they are looking for a man who was helping his neighbor park their car when the water took the car away with the man inside. The car has been found but the man is still missing. I lived in Killeen for 7 years I don't remember it ever being so bad ..Man I really pray for everyone in Texas right now it seems they really need it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,822
    A lady who lives about 4 miles from me drowned on Sunday - on her way to church, going through an area that had been blocked off. I just don't get why someone risks their life like this.

    So, now 6 confirmed deaths....

    P.S. Saw on the news that Milam County is basically saying if one drives through a blocked-off area (and actually survive, as our newscaster pointed out) and get caught, it's a Class B misdemeanor. Depending on the circumstances (they didn't give all the details), might not be a bad idea at all, considering how many other people risk their lives trying to find the person who may need rescuing. IMO

    This is my commute route! Well, not for a few days now! 4 hours later, where I was standing then flooded, another 1/4 mile is now blocked off. Just 3 months ago, the river was soooo low and dry that it was just ugly and brown...and sad to look at. Well, not anymore.
    Last edited by DEPUTYDAWG; 05-29-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 07:16 PM
  2. Replies: 141
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 10:54 PM