962 users online (192 members and 770 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kevorkian to be freed Friday

LANSING, Mich. -- For nearly a decade, Dr. Jack Kevorkian waged a defiant campaign to help people kill themselves, prompting battles over assisted suicide in many states.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ationworld-hed

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

My how time flies. I so remember when Dr. K first became popular, how I hated him. I have to say that now, after watching 2 family members practically disappear before my eyes from the ravages of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease, I definitely understand Dr. K and the patients he assisted.

I'm happy to hear he's finally being released. He never belonged there in my opinion.

Agree--He never should have gone to prison in the first place--These are desperate people who are suffering terribly and in a hopeless situation--He is only trying to make their exit easier

Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    My how time flies. I so remember when Dr. K first became popular, how I hated him. I have to say that now, after watching 2 family members practically disappear before my eyes from the ravages of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease, I definitely understand Dr. K and the patients he assisted.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    I'm happy to hear he's finally being released. He never belonged there in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    Agree--He never should have gone to prison in the first place--These are desperate people who are suffering terribly and in a hopeless situation--He is only trying to make their exit easier
    could not agree more---
    philamena, sorry for what you had to go thru- glad it helps you to understand him

i have always had great sympathy for what Dr. Kevorkian was trying to do, which was to relieve suffering in those with a terminal, hopeless illness. he assisted only those who asked for his help. i was angry that he went to prison and i am thankful that he is to be released, but sad it will be as an old man. i will always feel that in keeping with the Physician's Oath, he did no harm.

i have personal experience with the long final illness of a loved one, and i know the agony of watching that person suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyB View Post
    i have always had great sympathy for what Dr. Kevorkian was trying to do, which was to relieve suffering in those with a terminal, hopeless illness. he assisted only those who asked for his help. i was angry that he went to prison and i am thankful that he is to be released, but sad it will be as an old man. i will always feel that in keeping with the Physician's Oath, he did no harm.

i have personal experience with the long final illness of a loved one, and i know the agony of watching that person suffer.
    There is nothing harder or more heart breaking.

I have always felt that assisted suicide should be legal. We are kinder to animals than we are to humans. As a matter of fact, technology has kept people exisiting longer and suffering longer. How sad.

Quote Originally Posted by j2mirish View Post
    could not agree more---
    philamena, sorry for what you had to go thru- glad it helps you to understand him
    j2mirish,

Thanks for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by csds703 View Post

I have always felt that assisted suicide should be legal. We are kinder to animals than we are to humans. As a matter of fact, technology has kept people exisiting longer and suffering longer. How sad.
    csds703,
    Wise words! Wise words indeed.

Having watched my Father go through painful, terminal illness, I couldn't agree more. For some reason I thought he had already been released.

Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    I can relate. I struggled with this and now feel that I understand in a much bigger way. I recently lost my grandmother and it could have been so much easier for her if the medical profession were more open minded to the reality of dying.
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    I can relate. I struggled with this and now feel that I understand in a much bigger way. I recently lost my grandmother and it could have been so much easier for her if the medical profession were more open minded to the reality of dying.
    Yes, medically assisted death should be an option for those who are suffering and are terminal. It's inhumane to allow our loved ones to suffer.

One problem and doubt that I had about Kevorkian was when he helped a younger woman with fibromyalgia to kill herself. The woman was overweight, depressed, and her husband was in agreement about it all. I know that fibromyalgia is painful and there's no cure at this time, but it's not terminal and there is some good pain and other medications out there that can help somewhat. I really did not agree with Kevorkian helping someone with this disease and was very suspicious about the husband and just what type of encouragement this woman was given to end her life and if she was denied pain killers by doctors back then.

Having worked in the animal medical field in some capacity or another for almost 24 years now, euthanasia has always been a loving thing for those terminally ill and I've always wished it was something humans could do as well. I DO see the risks of that because certainly people have asked to put to sleep pets out of convenience as well (all my vets refused). There would have to be very strict regulations set forth and a review by professionals, but I wish they could figure some way for at least terminal people who have to be kept so drugged they can't even enjoy visits to pass.

I always tell people struggling with putting a pet to sleep that just because medical science can prolong life, doesn't mean it always SHOULD. When the things that make your pet who he/she is are mostly gone, what kind of life are they having? Life isn't the heart, lungs etc working, it's the SOUL.

My mother died of Anaplastic Astrocytoma of the right temporal lobe of the brain in 2002. She lived in my home for her last year.

There are many things worse than death.
    "Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."~ Plato
    ~The above reflects only my opinion...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast