1396 users online (265 members and 1131 guests)  

Websleuths News

China is at it again with poisoning.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18899092/

Nicaraguan police seized 6,000 tubes of a Chinese-made toothpaste suspected of containing a chemical that killed at least 51 people in nearby Panama last year, the health minister said Sunday.All U.S. imports of Chinese toothpaste were halted last week to test for diethylene glycol a chemical commonly used in antifreeze and brake fluid.

At least 51 people died in Panama since October after taking medicine contaminated with diethylene glycol. The substance was found in cough syrup and other medications made in a Panama government laboratory from a falsely labeled shipment that workers thought was glycerin. The chemical was traced to a Chinese company.

Diethylene glycol, or DEG, is a thickening agent used as a low-cost but frequently deadly substitute for glycerin, a sweetener commonly used in drugs.

DEG was blamed for the deaths of at least 51 people in Panama last year after it was mixed into cough syrup, another case with possible ties to China.

Why isn't china being prosecuted for this or at least banning their food imports????
    Once I can see but three times? This is obviously intentional!
    Last edited by Autumn2004; 05-28-2007 at 12:11 PM.

I read that last week- Crest posted a statement that their toothpaste is made in the USA-- guess it is Cresst for us now-

I believe the Chinese are excusing the toothpaste with the explanation that you're not supposed to swallow toothpaste but spit it out. Not sure how that flies for cough medicine because spitting it out would be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2004 View Post

Nicaraguan police seized 6,000 tubes of a Chinese-made toothpaste suspected of containing a chemical that killed at least 51 people in nearby Panama last year, the health minister said Sunday.All U.S. imports of Chinese toothpaste were halted last week to test for diethylene glycol a chemical commonly used in antifreeze and brake fluid.

At least 51 people died in Panama since October after taking medicine contaminated with diethylene glycol. The substance was found in cough syrup and other medications made in a Panama government laboratory from a falsely labeled shipment that workers thought was glycerin. The chemical was traced to a Chinese company.

Diethylene glycol, or DEG, is a thickening agent used as a low-cost but frequently deadly substitute for glycerin, a sweetener commonly used in drugs.

DEG was blamed for the deaths of at least 51 people in Panama last year after it was mixed into cough syrup, another case with possible ties to China.

Why isn't china being prosecuted for this or at least banning their food imports????
    Once I can see but three times? This is obviously intentional!
    I'm wondering the same thing.

We just went to Panama and Costa Rica in February, glad we didn't buy any toothpaste or cough syrup there, but who knows what else it could've been in or will be in in the future?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

I will see if I can track down the link, because I am not sure of the country. I do recall that toothpastes purchased at Dollar Stores are usually imported from other countries and the concerns for massive fluoride were a serious issue, so this doesn't surprise me much. Fluoride just kills you a little bit slower

I read the other day that many children in some countries had died in the past years after taking poisoned medication syrups. What a tragedy and inexcuseable.