1177 users online (194 members and 983 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,288

    Chicago Cop Allegedly Attacks 15y.o.

    This is a shame!
    From the link:
    CHICAGO A police officer has been arrested in the off-duty beating of a 15-year-old high school student, the Chicago Police Department said Sunday.

    more at:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275737,00.html
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    816
    Well isn't he a big man. Explain to me why his son was unable to defend himself if needed?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by sleuthin4fun View Post
    Well isn't he a big man. Explain to me why his son was unable to defend himself if needed?
    His son shouldn't have to defend himself, any more than the rest of us should, when attacked by a mugger or blackmailer. But the attack isn't right either - it should be handled properly, through the cops (that is, the on duty ones), and courts, if something serious was going on.

    Just a pet peeve, quite likely not related to this, that kids are expected to deal with assaults from other kids on their own. We wouldn't take it if it were adults, kids shouldn't have to deal with that under the label of bullying either.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    816
    :HappyBday
    Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    His son shouldn't have to defend himself, any more than the rest of us should, when attacked by a mugger or blackmailer. But the attack isn't right either - it should be handled properly, through the cops (that is, the on duty ones), and courts, if something serious was going on.

    Just a pet peeve, quite likely not related to this, that kids are expected to deal with assaults from other kids on their own. We wouldn't take it if it were adults, kids shouldn't have to deal with that under the label of bullying either.
    I agree that bullying in this country is out of hand but, this father was way out of line. It sounded like this altercation between the two boys was totally verbal and that the boy who was beaten was walking away. I agree that parents and others need to get involved I think that most times there is not enough done in these situations but, thsi man did not act as a police officer or as a father, he acted just like all of the other punks he's just older. Not handled well at all in my opoinion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by sleuthin4fun View Post
    I agree that bullying in this country is out of hand but, this father was way out of line. It sounded like this altercation between the two boys was totally verbal and that the boy who was beaten was walking away. I agree that parents and others need to get involved I think that most times there is not enough done in these situations but, thsi man did not act as a police officer or as a father, he acted just like all of the other punks he's just older. Not handled well at all in my opoinion.
    Yeah, no question he was out of line, criminally so - just questioning the idea that the son should be able to defend himself if needed. That's not the answer - if we're talking a physical fight, the boy shouldn't have to defend himself, authorities, whether teachers, police, or whatever should step in, and charges should be filed. Too often society thinks it's OK for a couple of kids to just be having a fight, boys will be boys - that's what I'm disagreeing with.

    Being purely verbal may not mean anything - for a pure hypothetical, what if the one kid were a bully (purely hypothetical - I've seen nothing to suggest the kid beaten up was in the wrong), and the verbal bit was him promising a severe beating later, or telling him he'd just beaten a friend of his. The cop is alleging some type of threat.

    None of this excuses the cop, and nothing solid says the boy beaten up did a single thing wrong. I'm just talking hypotheticals. An equally likely hypothetical is that the cop's son is the bully, and threatened the kid that if he didn't cough up his lunch money or whatever, he'd get his father to beat him up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    816
    Details, I am definitely talking about him defending himself verbally. I also don't agree with the "boys will be boys" mentality. We don't really know enough to know exactly what was said in this "verbal altercation". What I take issue with is the father getting physical with the other boy. He set a horrible example of how to resolve conflict.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2013, 09:04 PM
  2. Man attacks own lawyer
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 03:18 PM