Identified! PA - Philadelphia, LIVING HispMale Child 794UMPA, 4 Mos, Purchased in Mexico, Feb'99 - Name withheld

outofthedark

Lyle Stevik's FB Hostess
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Unidentified White / Hispanic Male
  • The victim was discovered on February 23, 1999 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • Alive and Abandoned Child

Vital Statistics
  • Estimated age: 4 months old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 1'11" (58 cm) ; 14 lbs (6 kg).
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes.

Case History
This white/hispanic child was found in the company of an adult male who had no birth documentation for the child. The child was believed to be born in Mexico on or about October 1998. The child was then brought to Van Nuys, California where he may have been purchased by the adult male. In mid-February 1999, the adult male then transported the child to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The child's identity is not known.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
215-418-4000

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
NCMEC #: NCMU400010
NCIC Number:
N/A

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

This child is at least 8 years old right now- I wonder if he's living with a family like Paloma is

http://doenetwork.org/cases/794umpa.html

any more information on the guy that had the baby? Is he out of the picture now, or in jail, or what???

I'd say somewhere near adoption- if there has been no legal information found on him, then he can't be legally adopted and would have to live with a guardian or guardians.

I'd say somewhere near adoption- if there has been no legal information found on him, then he can't be legally adopted and would have to live with a guardian or guardians.

In most states abandoned babies aged less than 1 year whose parents or relatives can't be traced are "adopted" by the state, a procedure which grants them official status including US citizenship by way of Jus soli (birthright) and that even if they weren't born in the US since there is no way of knowing that. In the old days these babies were given the name of the current Governor of their state (or that of his wife for girls) until they were adopted and given a new name by their adoptive parents. Once a baby becomes a state pupil the state assumes parental rights and the child can be legally adopted by a qualified couple. In some states abandoned babies were entrusted to the Episcopalian or Catholic Church for guardianship until adoption, but they were still state pupils. As far as I know those laws are still valid even though this is a much less common occurrence as it used to be since the huge majority of babies are now born in hospitals rather than at home. These laws were enacted to avoid having someone live in legal limbo for the whole of their lives. In the few states that had no such laws abandoned babies could not be adopted and had no legal rights so most of the time they ended up spending their lives in state mental hospitals even if they were perfectly sane, because declaring someone (even a non citizen) officially insane was the only way to ensure that the state would provide livelihood for them since they couldn't be legally employed. I believe that federal regulations put an end to these situations. A long time ago I read a biography of someone who had lived through such an ordeal, I believe it was in Tennessee and had happened during the 1930's and 1940's.

The child is still listed in Doenet. I suppose even if he was adopted and is now living a normal life, they'd still want to know about his origins.

I wonder if this is the sort of young child case the DDN might be willing to take on? Maybe not, if the risk is discovering the parent(s) sold the child rather than him being adbucted by a stranger.

I'm very glad we don't know this person's name, but I'd love to know about his life! That's the hard thing about this...my wish for the Turpin survivors and others is that we never know anything about them, but I'd love to know something!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back