OH - Joshua Lunsford for sexual conduct w/ 14yo girl, Springfield, 2007

Shadow205

Reaction score
SPRINGFIELD, Ohio -- The brother of 9-year-old rape and murder victim Jessica Lunsford was in a Clark County courtroom on Friday facing criminal charges.

Joshua Lunsford, 18, pleaded not guilty to charges of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. The charges stem from an alleged incident that occurred in March with a 14-year-old girl outside the Upper Valley Mall.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/13392593/detail.html

Another article:

May 28, 2007
Lunsford Charged With Sex Crime
An animal abducted, raped and buried Jessica Lunsford alive. Few people in this nation are capable of such monstrous behavior. To put teen sex or any act in the same category as Jessica or Megan diminishes the brutal deaths of these precious children.
In her name, Jessica's Law has spread like wildfire across the United States, calling for residency restrictions, tougher registration laws, increased notifications and even the death penalty. How sad that her own brother, hardly a man himself, will now be subject to a lot of these regulations, restrictions and nightmares (for consensual teenaged experimentation) in his dead sister's name. On May 27, 2007 this was the headline:
Brother Of Jessica Lunsford Faces Sex Charges
In Springfield, Ohio 18 year- old Joshua Lunsford stood before a Clark County judge facing criminal charges of unlawful sexual conduct with a 14 year-old. He pleaded not guilty and his bond was set at $5,000. Today’s roster does not show him as being an inmate in the county jail but his nightmare is just beginning

more at the link http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=28162

I feel for Mark. He is caught between a rock and a hard place.
Are we not getting through to kids that there is a huge difference between 14 and 18? That just because their body has changed, doesn't mean they are 'ready'? And to the girls that having an 18 yo boyfriend, doesn't make you cool? It is limiting them, and can cause them major problems when they get involved in things they aren't ready to be responsible for?

Maybe this woman should keep her 14 year old at home or chaperon her to skating rinks and the movies. Why was her 14 yr old allowed to date an older boy anyway?

She imo is in this for her 15 minutes of fame. She's well aware of the hell this family has gone through. Her daughter consented to whatever occurred. The mom should have handled this by keeping her daughter under control and by speaking to Mark personally. Shame on her for not controlling her daughter and for causing Mark more grief.

Joshua is 18 and the girlfriend is 14 and they have been dated for a significant period of time (for teenagers).

The girl's Mom had to have known the situation; i.e., his age, their dating activities, her daughter's behavior, etc...

Many girls look and act older than they really are. I know I did and I dated older guys.

Twenty or thirty years ago this story would not have been a big issue.

In the "olden days" older men married much younger women, usually in their teens, and that was thought of as normal.

I believe Mom is taking advantage of the Lunsfords....As if they had not been through enough.

From everything else in the story, Joshua sounds as though he is a good kid. The girl was not upset and seemed happy to be with him.

I have to wonder why nothing was done with regard to the girl's Father strangling and threatening Joshua in public in April. Seems as though some charges should have been filed from that incident.

Angel, according to the article linked above, "The girl's father pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct."

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBKYVT3B2F.html

My heart goes out to Mark. He certainly doesn't need this grief.

Angel, according to the article linked above, "The girl's father pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct."

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBKYVT3B2F.html

My heart goes out to Mark. He certainly doesn't need this grief.

Thanks for pointing that out, Liz! See what happens when I am sleepy! :crazy:
Well, now I have to wonder if the complaint against Joshua is a little bit of pay back....Hmmm.

I don't think that the boy should be charged with a crime if the two had been going together for quite awhile and if he had done this last year, maybe he wouldn't be charged with a thing. I had an older boyfriend when I was a teen but wouldn't have allowed my own daughters to go out with a boy at age 14 at all. I'd like to know how the parents know that there was fondling outside the skating ring. Sounds like they may have been sitting there spying while smooching was going on, and just watching for a wrong move to be made.

This just makes me sick. I have to let my sixteen yr old son read this, because apparently in America now, you cannot even be a normal teen anymore. That poor boy.

I think her f'ing parents need to be brought up on child endangerment charges, since they allowed their daughter to date him in the first place. Were they supposed to break up midnight the moment he turned legally 18??

I can only pray this case gets dropped.

Maybe this woman should keep her 14 year old at home or chaperon her to skating rinks and the movies. Why was her 14 yr old allowed to date an older boy anyway?

She imo is in this for her 15 minutes of fame. She's well aware of the hell this family has gone through. Her daughter consented to whatever occurred. The mom should have handled this by keeping her daughter under control and by speaking to Mark personally. Shame on her for not controlling her daughter and for causing Mark more grief.

Amen!

When a child of 14 shoplifts, the child of 14 gets in trouble. Why in a case like this is the boy the only one in the wrong? I dated an 18 year old boy when I was 14, and believe me, I was the one in total control of the entire relationship. Poor kid didn't stand a chance against me.

This is so sad. If you think in terms if high school. It was senior dating a freshman. How sad that if he is convicted of this he will have to register as a sex offender. This is one case where I think things got way out of hand and now the boy is being punished. I just wish this mother would think about the long term effects of what this charge can do to him long term have a friend who for seven years was a registered sex offender. He was 18 she was 15. They dated his senior year of high school and she was sophmore. They snuck out one night (while they were both still in high school). Mike's parents grounded him for a month.. the girls mother pressed statutory rape charge as a means to keep her daughter away from Mike. He recieved a year of probation but unfortunately was forced to register a sex offender for 7 years because of the conviction. BTW Mike and Sara are married today and have 3 children. They have been married for 9 years together for 15.

In all actuality, most kids are totally unaware of the laws governing their sexual activity. Oh, they may know about 'jail bait', but ask them the exact law, restrictions, activities that meet the guidelines for sexual misconduct or rape, and penalties and they would be hard pressed to name them. Perhaps greater education should be given to our young people about the legal ramifications of underage sexual activity.

That being said, it is certainly ironic that this has happened to Mark's son. I find it suspicious that the father of the girl was arrested for his physical attack on Joshua and only afterward was the report made alleging sexual misconduct on Joshua's part. If this incident happened in March, the physical altercation in April, why was the report not made until May? Something doesn't sit right with me.

I feel for Mark. He is caught between a rock and a hard place.
Are we not getting through to kids that there is a huge difference between 14 and 18? That just because their body has changed, doesn't mean they are 'ready'? And to the girls that having an 18 yo boyfriend, doesn't make you cool? It is limiting them, and can cause them major problems when they get involved in things they aren't ready to be responsible for?

My heart just dropped to the floor when I read this, I agree about putting Mark between a rock and hard place.

I didn't read the article yet, must do that right off, but if this was a boyfriend girlfriend thing, I find that much different than the pedophiles out there.

I know 18 is considered an adult, but they are still babies. It's hard to explain to these kids if their parents have an age gap that it's okay for them but not for you.

The age gap lessen as we age.

Anyway, I maybe speaking out of turn, but I'm rambling because people are just going to want to hit Mark with this instead of the important issues at hand, like the monster that killed Jessie.

When a child of 14 shoplifts, the child of 14 gets in trouble. Why in a case like this is the boy the only one in the wrong? I dated an 18 year old boy when I was 14, and believe me, I was the one in total control of the entire relationship. Poor kid didn't stand a chance against me.

I had to LOL when I read that, I know exactly what you mean!!!

And my son is going to be 18 Saturday and is totally under the thumb of a 15 year old girl. I bite my tongue because I figure it is Karma biting me in the butt.:doh: I just warn him that things like this case can happen to him.

This is a payback to him for the other charges unfortunately. I would not want my daughter at the age of 14 dating and 18 year old or even a 17 year old. There is just too much difference maturity wise and sexually. I know I would not have been ready for this kind of a relationship at 14 years old.

I would have done everything I could have to stop the relationship completely even if it required threatening them with pursuing legal issues even if I wouldn't just to put a stop to it, but honestly I dont think I would pursue anything legally if its consensual. Although my daughter is 3 and I would change my mind if I thought she would runaway and I would be more fearful of something happening to her. If they did date for a period of time and the parents knew about it and their ages there is no reason for them to be able to have charges pressed against him.

I feel bad for Mark and I feel like this might be the reason he decided against running for state legislation.

I always dated older guys also. When I was 12 a 17 year old, when I was 14 a 19 year old and as you said I was in total control of those relationships. Would I allow my daughter to do it? No, but I did and I knew what I was doing.

One thing that I fail to grasp, is that this young man knew the parents did not want him dating their daughter because of the age difference. The Father even attacked the young man. But at 14 a child is still a child. At 18 you are an adult, you can vote, sign legal documents, be arrested as a adult, drive, serve in the armed forces. Hence you are an adult. But at 14 you are a child in need of protection. You cannot vote, drive, sign legal documents, are arrested as a child, cannot serve in the armed forces and are under the care and control of your parents. 14 is still 14.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back