668 users online (84 members and 584 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Contestants Vie for Kidney on Dutch Reality TV

For most patients around the world in need of a kidney, life is an interminable waiting game for an elusive matching donor.

The Netherlands is no different. According to Bert Elbertse, publicity director for the leading Dutch health organization, NIGZ, waiting lists for a kidney stretch to a grueling four and a half years, on average.

But for one Dutch citizen, the wait just got shorter.

This Friday three patients will compete to receive a kidney from a terminally ill young woman, 37-year-old "Lisa."

Dutch TV channel BNN and the producers of the controversial U.K.-based reality show "Big Brother" have come together to produce "Big Donor Show."

The program, which will be broadcast live on BNN this Friday, will show the three "contestants" (each of whom is a match for Lisa's organs) vying for one of her kidneys. <snip>

http://tinyurl.com/2zdw5s

What will they think of next?

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

When ABCNEWS.com contacted Laurens Drillich, BNN chairman, he acknowledged that "the program is tasteless." But, he added, "the reality of having to wait years for organs is much more tasteless, in my opinion."
    I'm really on the fence about this one.
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

Don't have time to read the link right now, but I hope the article also states that most people in the NL are against this show, with even a member of parliament trying to block it, the Dutch donor organisation does not agree (even though they're happy with some publicity about the need for donors ) and BNN is a small TV station known for their weird antics.

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    I think it's tasteless, but-- I also think it will work in terms of raising awareness.

Organ donation is such an easy thing to do, and so many don't do it. I'd like to see it be an opt-out program, instead of opt-in as it is now. (at least in the US, I really don't know about other countries)

I think that there are other ways to raise awareness... I think this "show" is cruel and heartless. How would one feel to have to compete at a chance for a kidney donation on TV? I can't imagine the heartache and stress that these people, who don't need this in their lives at this time, will go through.... especially after they lose?!?! This could mean life or death to each and every one of these people... or even someone who isn't given the opportunity to be on this show.

I really find this "show" in appalling!

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    How would one feel to have to compete at a chance for a kidney donation on TV? I can't imagine the heartache and stress that these people, who don't need this in their lives at this time, will go through.... especially after they lose?!?!
    I know what you're saying but they signed up for it themselves, so they know what they're in for.

I find the concept disturbing......whats next?

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    I find the concept disturbing......whats next?
    Disturbing is what BNN exists for.

(Sorry, have to every time I mention BNN. )

Quote Originally Posted by JanetElaine View Post
    I know what you're saying but they signed up for it themselves, so they know what they're in for.
    It just may mean that they want a kidney very much and will do anything, including going through this farce, to try and get one. It doesn't mean they realize the impact losing will have on their morale or their lives.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    I don't like the idea of the whole thing, but what do these people have to lose? They either get jumped to the head of the line, or they stay where they are on the list.

If it raises awareness, maybe this will turn out to be a good thing. I don't know if the end justifies the means or not. I do know that people die everyday waiting for organs, and people die everyday that take their organs with them to the grave because they weren't signed up. (Next of kin may or may not be notified in time, or their decision at such an emotional time is to say no.)

Disturbing is what BNN exists for.

(Sorry, have to every time I mention BNN. )
    LOL..Ouch.
    Apparently in some countries (here anyway)this would never happen as cancer patients are not permitted to donate organs....something to do with secondary transfer?
    Makes you wonder just how successful this donation will be.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=270182

that's sick. and frankly - #@ck!d up.

Here is some more info about BNN and founder Bart de Graaff, who suffered from kidney disease and received a kidney transplant himself. This kidney was rejected and he needed another transplant, which he did not get in time, and he died on May 25, 2002 of kidney failure at age 35. The show comes at the 5th anniversary of his passing away. Unfortunately I can't find a link in English with info about Bart, just about BNN. Just a little background info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNN_(television)

Quote Originally Posted by pedinurse View Post
    that's sick. and frankly - #@ck!d up.
    I couldnt have said it better myself

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    I couldnt have said it better myself
    Hahaha! Yep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast