1125 users online (228 members and 897 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AZ - Maria De Los Angeles Martinez, 17, Phoenix, 13 Oct 1990

This did not get very much coverage but details are a little creepy. She advertised for a babysitting job at a local radio station and a man came and picked her up and she has not been seen again. Does anyone know anything else? I cannot believe she did not tell her parents where she was going or who she had been corresponding with. Her name was Maria De Los Angeles Martinez.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

This reminds me of another case. A girl put up an advertisement to babysit, went to meet a man who called her with a job, and was never seen again. I can't remember the girl's name or even the state where she disappeared. I'm sure they're not related, but the babysitting angle reminded me.

I graduated in '87, and I babysat all through the 80s. Back then, I would get calls from people I didn't know all the time who had heard of me from their friends. I would go to their homes, or they would pick me up if they lived out of my neighborhood. All I would say to my parents is a quick "I'm going to babysit" as I left the house. Nothing ever happened, but it strikes me how much times have changed.

My male cousin and I babysat as a team

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    This reminds me of another case. A girl put up an advertisement to babysit, went to meet a man who called her with a job, and was never seen again. I can't remember the girl's name or even the state where she disappeared. I'm sure they're not related, but the babysitting angle reminded me.

I graduated in '87, and I babysat all through the 80s. Back then, I would get calls from people I didn't know all the time who had heard of me from their friends. I would go to their homes, or they would pick me up if they lived out of my neighborhood. All I would say to my parents is a quick "I'm going to babysit" as I left the house. Nothing ever happened, but it strikes me how much times have changed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------ we walked to our babysitting jobs
    they were mostly neighborhood jobs and the people usually had more than two children so we worked as a team.

I guess if more teens worked as a team babysitting it may help somehow?

#789UMCO unidentified found The victim was discovered on September 8, 2004 in the Flat Tops, White River National Forest, Garfield County, Colorado
    Estimated Date of Death: No longer than 5 years prior to discovery he left a note to "LIB"
    PLEASE HELP me find out who this unidentified person is so he can be buried rightfully near his family...

I DO NOT TOLERATE HARASSMENT...

I agree, I babysat alot in the 80's as a teen and normally did it for neighbors and people my family knew. I don't think I ever posted ads in public. This is just an innocent thing that turned tragic.

If a total stranger called me from an ad I placed, I would not be comfortable just taking off with him. I think I would have had my parents talk to them first and screen them out and made sure we had a phone number and address, and verify there were even kids.

Times have changes so much. There is absolutely no way I would allow my child to run off an babysit for someone I did not know.

Or, why would you allow a babysitter - without knowing background - to stay with your kids?

Marie De Los Angeles Martinez, 17

I have heard nothing on this case at all locally. Sadly I think it got swept under the rug.

Back in 1990, wasn't there any way for authorities to trace the call so that they can determine whose house she was at?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...nez_maria.html

I would have thought phone calls could be traced in '90 for sure...
    Maybe this was done by a pay phone, just a thought.

Where do the bodies go...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    <snipped> This reminds me of another case. A girl put up an advertisement to babysit, went to meet a man who called her with a job, and was never seen again. I can't remember the girl's name or even the state where she disappeared. I'm sure they're not related, but the babysitting angle reminded me.
    Are you thinking of Margaret Fox? Her disappearance has many similarities...Margaret place an ad looking for a babysitting job, got off a bus at the location she was given and was never seen again.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...&highlight=fox

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel View Post
    Are you thinking of Margaret Fox? Her disappearance has many similarities...Margaret place an ad looking for a babysitting job, got off a bus at the location she was given and was never seen again.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...&highlight=fox
    That might very well be it. It was a case I saw on Unsolved Mysteries years ago.

Bump.

This month marks 20 years that Maria has been missing. Come home soon sweetie.

BUMPING! Such as sad tale, come home soon. We all will be here with open arms!

Meghan from the Charley Project just mentioned this case in her blog. What a sad case. Poor Maria's parents must be devastated. I wonder if they are still in Phoenix? Her name makes it very difficult to find info on as well. Also if her parents were illegals or did not speak english this makes the case even harder.

I wish a reporter in the Phx area would bring back some of these cases. So many get swept under the rug.

Somebody knows the the man who took this poor girl.

I can't imagine doing this, advertising for a job on the radio like that and then going off with a stranger. My guess is the person who did this-they had killed before. Such a creepy story. Someone should contact the phoenix sun paper and even the radio station and do a follow up

Bump.

There's really no more info on the web about this case than what the Doe Network tells us. However, look at all the different variations of her name on her Namus page:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/3906

I really think that this poor girl was just trying to innocently advertise her babysitting services on the radio in the hopes of earning some money and a very dangerous person answered the ad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast