9 Year Old Dies In Apt. Fire, Went Back In For A Toy

White Rain

Reaction score
"Several people saw him going back into the apartment." He's a 9 year old kid!!! Why didn't someone stop him! And why wasn't his family with him to start with? This kid died senselessly! I'm so angry. :banghead:

CLARKSTON, Ga. -- Firefighters have found what is believed to be the body of a 9-year-old boy who went into a burning apartment building yesterday -- apparently to retrieve a toy.

SLIDESHOW CENTRAL: Fatal Apartment Fire
DeKalb County Fire officials searched for Devont'a Stokely for hours after a fire that started at the Lake Shore apartment complex just before 5 p.m.
Shortly after midnight, they say they found a body of what appeared to be a child. While fire officials have not confirmed the body is Devont'a's -- friends say the family was told that it was him.
The boy’s father told Channel 2’s Tiffani Reynolds he was visiting friends at the apartments on Brockett Road.
Fire department Captain Eric Jackson said the fire scene was so hot that it was difficult to search it for hours.
Flames had devoured three-quarters of the roof of the building when firefighters arrived.
When they got there, several people told them they saw the boy going back into the apartment. Searchers had held out hope the boy may have exited through a back door or window.http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13417338/detail.html

My little boy is nine years old. Beau Beau would know better though, but this little fellow, aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww who are the witnesses? Could this be suspicious in anyway?

It doesn't make sense that reasonable adults were standing around and didn't stop him from entering into the fire.

It's natural that people have a sense of self-preservation to not follow someone into a burning building. The kid could have gone in there so fast that there was nothing the witnesses could do about it.

It's hard for me to get angry about this without really having all of the facts.

Sounds like the child was visiting the family that lived there, that's why his family wasn't around. He could've run in there so fast no one had time to get him. This is so sad.

"Several people saw him going back into the apartment." He's a 9 year old kid!!! Why didn't someone stop him! And why wasn't his family with him to start with? This kid died senselessly! I'm so angry. :banghead:

CLARKSTON, Ga. -- Firefighters have found what is believed to be the body of a 9-year-old boy who went into a burning apartment building yesterday -- apparently to retrieve a toy.

SLIDESHOW CENTRAL: Fatal Apartment Fire
DeKalb County Fire officials searched for Devont'a Stokely for hours after a fire that started at the Lake Shore apartment complex just before 5 p.m.
Shortly after midnight, they say they found a body of what appeared to be a child. While fire officials have not confirmed the body is Devont'a's -- friends say the family was told that it was him.
The boy’s father told Channel 2’s Tiffani Reynolds he was visiting friends at the apartments on Brockett Road.
Fire department Captain Eric Jackson said the fire scene was so hot that it was difficult to search it for hours.
Flames had devoured three-quarters of the roof of the building when firefighters arrived.
When they got there, several people told them they saw the boy going back into the apartment. Searchers had held out hope the boy may have exited through a back door or window.http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13417338/detail.html

That is so horrible. I bet anyone in that family / rescue team would have bought him another toy - I wonder what it was?

How terrible......

My son is 8 and he likes his bedroom door closed at night. I always open it after he is asleep for fear he will run into his closet in case of a fire. A crazy fear I have.

New

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back