960 users online (191 members and 769 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?

AR - Clifton Kurk, 18 mos, dies in dishwasher, Romance, 30 May 2007

Baby Found Dead In Dishwasher 'Tragic Accident'

A 13-year-old White County boy makes a shocking discovery. He finds his baby brother dead inside a running dishwasher. Detectives say right now they consider it a tragic accident, but they are still questioning family members.

It's being described by detectives as one of the worst death scenes in their careers.

Detectives say what they found inside the Romance mobile home on Snowbird Road was 18-month-old Clifton Kurk dead, covered in severe burns.

Clark says Kurk's mother was at work and his father asleep when his 13-year-old brother made the gruesome discovery.

Deputies believe the toddler had been inside the running dishwasher, set on high heat, for as long as 15 minutes, but no one is sure exactly how he got inside and closed the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Baby Found Dead In Dishwasher 'Tragic Accident'

A 13-year-old White County boy makes a shocking discovery. He finds his baby brother dead inside a running dishwasher. Detectives say right now they consider it a tragic accident, but they are still questioning family members.

It's being described by detectives as one of the worst death scenes in their careers.

Detectives say what they found inside the Romance mobile home on Snowbird Road was 18-month-old Clifton Kurk dead, covered in severe burns.

Clark says Kurk's mother was at work and his father asleep when his 13-year-old brother made the gruesome discovery.

Deputies believe the toddler had been inside the running dishwasher, set on high heat, for as long as 15 minutes, but no one is sure exactly how he got inside and closed the door.

Oh Dear Lord....how could this happen???

I think they need to take a very good look at the brother and dad. Every dishwasher I ever saw had to be completely closed from outside before it would run. No way that baby could have closed it from inside. Reminds me of the case a few years ago where a teenager put his little sister in a clothes dryer and turned it on.

OMG!!!!

Something doesn't sound right about this. How could the baby have closed the door. In order for most dishwasher's to run the lock has to be engaged. There is absolutely no way that the baby could have done that himself. Maybe whoever latched and turned on the dishwasher was unaware of him being inside. How horrible!!

I dont know what to say.

OMG this is no accident IMO! How horrible....

Thats what Im thinking Sassy.......how would you not know there was an 18month baby in the dishwasher....the dishwasher would have had to be empty for the baby to fit in it
    Am I the only one who usually checks to make sure everything is where it should be in the dishwasher before I turn it on.
    As much as I hate to say it I think we will be hearing more about the 13year old who was proberly left to babysit while dad slept.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    This is what another article says about the dishwasher:

The dishwasher was empty when the child got inside, police said. Investigators said the dishwasher was a Maytag model that automatically started when the door closed.

"The death of any child is tragic," said Monica Teague, a spokeswoman for Whirlpool Corp., which makes Maytag dishwashers.

Teague said Whirlpool's appliances are certified for child safety through an independent product testing corporation.

"All our appliances go through rigorous testing," Teague said.

This wasn't an accident. This poor kid...

Why would you want a dishwasher to start automatically when you shut the door...Maytag have a lot to answer for.

I'm having trouble understanding how an 18 month old would be able to pull the door closed. Don't dishwashers have to be locked with a latch type lock to start?

I recall drilling a parents choice lock designed for something else onto my dishwasher...... slide type.

So many accidents with kids getting out doors and getting into cars.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    Why would you want a dishwasher to start automatically when you shut the door...Maytag have a lot to answer for.
    Something not right here... I do not know of any dishwasher that just turns on...

I am thinking maybe the older brother put him in there as a joke maybe...and it just went too far. imo only

Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    Hmm. It still seems fishy to me. I have seen dishwashers that don't have to be "latched", per se, but you have to really close the dishwasher for it to operate. It's not like you just close it. You have to close it until it latches on the inside and you hear a click. It's not like closing a cabinet door or something.

What a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellee View Post
    OMG!!!!

Something doesn't sound right about this. How could the baby have closed the door. In order for most dishwasher's to run the lock has to be engaged. There is absolutely no way that the baby could have done that himself. Maybe whoever latched and turned on the dishwasher was unaware of him being inside. How horrible!!

Kellee,
    Yep, I agree. There's no way someone closed the door on the dishwasher without seeing the baby. Think about this: doesn't everyone look inside the dishwasher before starting it? I mean, it's almost an automatic impulse.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast