Avoid toothpaste made in China, FDA says

Dark Knight

Reaction score
The government warned consumers on Friday to avoid using toothpaste made in China because it may contain a poisonous chemical used in antifreeze.

Out of caution, the Food and Drug Administration said, people should throw away toothpaste with labeling that states it was made in China. FDA is concerned that these products may contain diethylene glycol.

The agency is not aware of any reports in the United States of poisoning from toothpaste, but it did find the antifreeze ingredient in a shipment at the U.S. border and at two retail stores: a Dollar Plus store in Miami and a Todo A Peso store in Puerto Rico.

Officials said they are primarily concerned about toothpaste sold at bargain retail outlets. The ingredient in question, called DEG, is used as a lower-cost sweetener and thickening agent. The highest concentration of the chemical found in toothpaste so far was between 3-4 percent.
"It does not belong in toothpaste even in small concentrations," said the FDA's Deborah M. Autor.

The FDA increased its scrutiny of toothpaste made in China because of reports of contamination in several countries, including Panama.

The agency is particularly concerned about chronic exposure to DEG in children and in people with kidney or liver disease.

Agency officials said they had no estimate of how many tubes of tainted toothpaste might have made it into the U.S.

"Our concern today is potentially about all toothpaste that comes in from China," Autor said. "Our estimate is that China makes up about $3.3 million of the $2 billion U.S. toothpaste market."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070601/ap_on_he_me/chinese_toothpaste&printer=1

On the Net:

Import Alert from FDA: http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia6674.html

Thanks DK

Thankfully we use Tom's of Maine toothpaste. I did hear Crest was American made. Colgate I read before was not american made.

The Chinese are totally out of control! I'm about to boycott the whole lot of them.... products, restaurants and all! And I LOVE chinese food! :bang:

The Chinese are totally out of control! I'm about to boycott the whole lot of them.... products, restaurants and all! And I LOVE chinese food! :bang:

We eat organic so thankfully our foods are made in the usa. We make chinese food at home all the time. Its really easy and you can alter the ingredients to make it just the way you like it. Most rice is made in china. California makes some rice. Lundberg's rice is made in california but mostly the others are made in china but they are labeled U.S. since the box comes from here.

We eat organic so thankfully our foods are made in the usa. We make chinese food at home all the time. Its really easy and you can alter the ingredients to make it just the way you like it. Most rice is made in china. California makes some rice. Lundberg's rice is made in california but mostly the others are made in china but they are labeled U.S. since the box comes from here.
I have been buying some things lately that are "organic" but its so expensive. I paid like 4$ for half a gallon of milk. I dont mind but dang its high, lol...

If only we could all live on our own little farm and grow our own vegetables and fruit and have our own chickens for eggs etc. It's getting to the point we don't know what's comming next that may be contaminated!

If only we could all live on our own little farm and grow our own vegetables and fruit and have our own chickens for eggs etc. It's getting to the point we don't know what's comming next that may be contaminated!
I know its scary.

There IS nothing wrong with that. I have raised my own veggies for years, and we have chickens too. I think if milk keeps going up like they say (sorry, $5 for a gallon of milk is just rediculous) we'll end up with a cow before long.

I find it odd that farmers in this country are struggling to make ends meet -- and make enough to feed all of us, and yet we have to worry about CHINA and the food they send over here...

I have been buying some things lately that are "organic" but its so expensive. I paid like 4$ for half a gallon of milk. I dont mind but dang its high, lol...

I know, since we eat gluten free also. $8 for a tiny bag of pretzels, $6 for one cake mix, $9 for six ice cream cones. I buy our meat local and save money by buying a cow at a time, it comes to $3 a pound . They also sell eggs there. I buy alot of my organic veggies and fruits at walmart. If you cant do organic always I would try and stick to farmer's markets or coops where you can talk to them about where they get their feed from and their pesticides. Meijer's carries their own organic milk close to $3 a half gallon. To me its an investment to our health. Money either spent on groceries or spent in dr bills and prescriptions in the future. I do spend quite a bit on groceries but Im a vegan so I consume alot of veggies and fruit.

Honestly, you dont need milk or dairy products. Not even for calcium. If you have to much protein it will cause osteoporosis and the protein from milk adds to depleting calcium since you only at best absorb 30% of it.

The Chinese are totally out of control! I'm about to boycott....

I am too but it's nearly impossible. Everything it seems is being made there these days. I remember reading somewhere that if you buy clothes made in China you should always wash them first. Don't remember why exactly....and maybe I don't want to know!:eek:

I spend some time with my parents every summer and they have a great garden. I couldn't believe how different a tomato tastes - no comparison to store bought!

I am too but it's nearly impossible. Everything it seems is being made there these days. I remember reading somewhere that if you buy clothes made in China you should always wash them first. Don't remember why exactly....and maybe I don't want to know!:eek:

Wow I havent heard that before, but I always do anyways. Im sensitive to chemicals from dyes and I wash them off before wearing them to get as much as I can of it off.

I'm learning to knit. One of the suggestions for knitting baby things was to buy organically grown cotton. Sure enough, when I went to our knitting store, there it was.

Organic products here in Hawaii are sooooooooooo expensive! But my boyfriend insists on them. Luckily, he pays for them too. Just some examples....a dozen eggs $6.00....same for a quart of 1/2 & 1/2 and a 1/2 gallon of milk...give or take .50 cents. A 16 oz. jar of organic peanut butter...over $7.00!

Autumn2004...I'm so impressed with your lifestyle. I wish I were disciplined enough to do it....but I'm not.

ETA: My family grows rice in Louisiana. ;)

I've avoided buying anything made in China for years now if possible, but didn't realize that they were importing toothpaste and other things. How do we know, is it on the label ? I don't understand why the U.S. is allowing this to happen.

I spend some time with my parents every summer and they have a great garden. I couldn't believe how different a tomato tastes - no comparison to store bought!
--Exactly--Our neighbors here in Florida have an orange tree--when you pick an orange right off the tree,and then eat it right away,its incredibly sweet--much better than any orange bought in a supermarket,whether its from Florida, California, or Brazil

Does anyone get the feeling that the Chinese are out to get us? Hmm, first through our pets and now our teeth? :waitasec:

I'm learning to knit. One of the suggestions for knitting baby things was to buy organically grown cotton. Sure enough, when I went to our knitting store, there it was.

Organic products here in Hawaii are sooooooooooo expensive! But my boyfriend insists on them. Luckily, he pays for them too. Just some examples....a dozen eggs $6.00....same for a quart of 1/2 & 1/2 and a 1/2 gallon of milk...give or take .50 cents. A 16 oz. jar of organic peanut butter...over $7.00!

Autumn2004...I'm so impressed with your lifestyle. I wish I were disciplined enough to do it....but I'm not.

ETA: My family grows rice in Louisiana. ;)

I knit a little. I have carpal tunnel so I use a loom. Mainly I knit blankets, scarves, hats and gloves. I need to get a rectangle loom since I would like to make my daughter some sweaters. She has 3 knitted sweaters that my great grandma made for me and they fit her perfectly and are still in wonderful shape. She loves them, especially the white one since my great grandma knitted pink flowers in them. My favorite knitting material is alpaca, it is so soft and warm and its what I hope to make a nice warm blanket out of for this winter for my daughter.

Your making me blush :blushing: honestly the reason why Im so healthy now is because of years of eating badly and feeling horrible. If I didnt have the health issues I have now I wouldnt be so strict with myself. I follow the mcdougall program but I also stay away from all grains too except brown rice.

Growing rice is alot of work! Im impressed about that! Everything I have found is expensive in hawaii, my cousin was stationed in the marines in hawaii for 2 years. He spent some major cash down there.

Absolutely. We use an aerogrow garden for growing tomatoes. Refrigeration for a tomato just sucks out the flavor.

I've avoided buying anything made in China for years now if possible, but didn't realize that they were importing toothpaste and other things. How do we know, is it on the label ? I don't understand why the U.S. is allowing this to happen.

I believe its the all mighty dollar. I bet good communication might have a part to it too. Although if you ask me its very poor communication since we have to threaten them to get any information.

Ummmmm, why are we still trading with China????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back