Teacher Sues Students Over Teddy Bear Film Allegedly Defaming Him

White Rain

Reaction score
INDIANAPOLIS -- A math teacher whose name is used in a student film featuring an evil teddy bear that orders other stuffed animals to kill a teacher is suing the four children who made it, alleging it defamed him.

Daniel Clevenger's lawsuit, filed May 16 in Henry Superior Court, is the second round of legal action related to the 78-minute film "The Teddy Bear Master."

Two months ago, school officials settled a federal lawsuit filed by three of the students to fight their expulsion from Knightstown Intermediate School.

The lawsuit claims the film mocked the teacher's appearance and mannerisms by portraying a math instructor named "Mr. Clevenger." It also contains "graphic depictions of violence" and the eventual murder of Clevenger and his wife, Christine, the lawsuit said.

"The defendants intentionally created the 'Teddy Bear Master' and intentionally used the plaintiff's name in such a way that would provoke a reasonably foreseeable emotional disturbance or trauma," the lawsuit states.

The boys worked on the movie from fall 2005 through summer 2006.

A description of the film in previous documents said that the teddy bear ordered the stuffed animals to kill the teacher because he had embarrassed him, but that students battled the toy beasts.

Jackie Suess, an attorney for the ACLU of Indiana who represented one of the students during their federal lawsuit against the school, said the group would be representing at least one of the students again. (more at link)
http://www.wsbtv.com/education/13428217/detail.html

Well, that's one way to teach kids. In court.

Suing elementary school kids. It's a wonder the students weren't arrested and jailed for the insinuations of violence in the film. Sounds like the students don't like the math teacher and surely there was an adult supervising the film that could told the kids to change some things.

wow. i'd be kind of po'd if i was the teacher too i guess - the murder of him and his spouse? wow... intermediate school is middle school, right? pretty sick stuff for a bunch of jr. high kids.

I couldn't help but notice that the children's attorney was Jackie Suess. If he has his doctorate, they are being represented by Dr. Suess.

I agree with the teacher. The classroom is for teaching, but there is a line to be drawn. Teachers can cross it, but so can students. A film depicting the murder of a teacher and his wife is crossing the line.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back