1147 users online (240 members and 907 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Doctors say roller shoes injuring kids

Trendy wheeled sneakers that let kids zip down sidewalks, across playgrounds and through mall crowds could also send them rolling into emergency rooms on a stretcher, say doctors who blame a rash of injuries on the international craze.

It's called "heeling," named after Heelys, the most popular brand. They're sold in 70 countries and are so hot that their Carrollton, Texas, maker, Heelys Inc., recently landed atop BusinessWeek's annual list of fastest growing companies.

But doctors from Ireland to Singapore have reported treating broken wrists, arms and ankles; dislocated elbows and even cracked skulls in children injured while wearing roller shoes.

Over a 10-week period last summer, 67 children were treated for injuries from Heelys or strap-on wheels called Street Gliders at Temple Street Children's University Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, according to a report in the June edition of Pediatrics.

From September 2005 through December 2006, one death and at least 64 roller-shoe injuries were reported to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, a spokesman said last week.

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070604/ap_on_he_me/roller_shoe_injuries&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Wow, my 7 year old son has been asking for these. His two closest friends have them, and they always try rolling around in my house, which would give me a heart attack until I finally asked them not to use them at all at my house.
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

I smell a class action lawsuit.

I don't see why this warrants an article. 1 death out of millions of kids. Seem like pretty good odds to me. Roll on!

My son (11) and several of his friends have them. I will say they have all taken some nasty falls from them. The problem is rolling in the streets on them. They were all playing out in front of our houses with them and even the smallest pebble in the street will send the kids flying into the air. They started sweeping the street before rolling.

They all got them about 6 months ago. The novelty has now worn off. I can't even tell you the last time he's warn them - which is fine with me. Now he's on to skateboarding. But, with that, he does wear all the protective pads and helmet.

When I told our Ped that we bought our two son's (age 12 and 15) roller blades she shook her head and went "yeah". There are enough injuries with roller blades(with safety equipment) and now these things. Kids are not going to use safety equipment with these "shoes" and accessories. The novelty of the roller blades wore off in a week. Thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I don't see why this warrants an article. 1 death out of millions of kids. Seem like pretty good odds to me. Roll on!
    The amount of serious injuries is far higher.

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Doctors say roller shoes injuring kids

Duh!
    shoes with rollers.....or should i say wheels...lol
    Last edited by close_enough; 06-04-2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: to add

Quote Originally Posted by close_enough View Post
    Doctors say roller shoes injuring kids

Duh!
    shoes with rollers.....or should i say wheels...lol
    LOL!!!!! I think they point they're trying to make it to have the kids wear helmets and pads just like when roller skating. And these are even harder to use, apparently.

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    LOL!!!!! I think they point they're trying to make it to have the kids wear helmets and pads just like when roller skating. And these are even harder to use, apparently.
    lol...ok DK...i should have read the entire article.....it just 'hit me' that way, when i read the title, lol

less0305 is offline The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!
    My 25 year old daughter bought her step-son a pair of these and she put them on to try to help him figure out how they work, etc. She took a HORRIBLE fall on them. The problem was when you do whatever it is you do to stop - it's so abupt and you're going so fast - it just flung her forward and down she went hitting on her chin first and then the rest of her body followed. She had to have stitches in her chin, her whole chest, knees, everything had serious asphalt burn/scrapes. She promptly took them off and returned them. She didn't want to be responsible for her step-son getting hurt. And my daughter is very, very proficient at roller skating. But she said these things were killers!!!
    It's my own two cents. You don't have to read or like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    The amount of serious injuries is far higher.
    And if they aren't on roller shoes, the kids would probably be rolling around on something else. It's a matter of circumstance and being careless. The roller shoes don't necessarily facilitate this. If some kid doesn't get hurt or killed on these shoes, they'll get hurt somewhere else if they aren't paying attention or being careless.

my kids have these. i dont let them do anything crazy on them like jump ramps. i watch them with them like i would any type of skate. until we keep our kids in padded rooms i figure i watch them and try to be careful, just like on their bikes and roller skates and roller blades and skateboard.... any thing with wheels has a learning curve and risk,

I HATE THESE THINGS!!!

No offense to parents who supervise their kids but I cannot tell you how often I am in the busy grocery store and some little monster is rolling around ... the parents totally oblivious to the fact that their little angel is tripping over someone's grandmother.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast