Doctors say roller shoes injuring kids

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Trendy wheeled sneakers that let kids zip down sidewalks, across playgrounds and through mall crowds could also send them rolling into emergency rooms on a stretcher, say doctors who blame a rash of injuries on the international craze.

It's called "heeling," named after Heelys, the most popular brand. They're sold in 70 countries and are so hot that their Carrollton, Texas, maker, Heelys Inc., recently landed atop BusinessWeek's annual list of fastest growing companies.

But doctors from Ireland to Singapore have reported treating broken wrists, arms and ankles; dislocated elbows and even cracked skulls in children injured while wearing roller shoes.

Over a 10-week period last summer, 67 children were treated for injuries from Heelys or strap-on wheels called Street Gliders at Temple Street Children's University Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, according to a report in the June edition of Pediatrics.

From September 2005 through December 2006, one death and at least 64 roller-shoe injuries were reported to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, a spokesman said last week.

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070604/ap_on_he_me/roller_shoe_injuries&printer=1

ap_small.gif

Wow, my 7 year old son has been asking for these. His two closest friends have them, and they always try rolling around in my house, which would give me a heart attack until I finally asked them not to use them at all at my house.

I don't see why this warrants an article. 1 death out of millions of kids. Seem like pretty good odds to me. Roll on!

My son (11) and several of his friends have them. I will say they have all taken some nasty falls from them. The problem is rolling in the streets on them. They were all playing out in front of our houses with them and even the smallest pebble in the street will send the kids flying into the air. They started sweeping the street before rolling.

They all got them about 6 months ago. The novelty has now worn off. I can't even tell you the last time he's warn them - which is fine with me. Now he's on to skateboarding. :rolleyes: But, with that, he does wear all the protective pads and helmet.

When I told our Ped that we bought our two son's (age 12 and 15) roller blades she shook her head and went "yeah". There are enough injuries with roller blades(with safety equipment) and now these things. Kids are not going to use safety equipment with these "shoes" and accessories. The novelty of the roller blades wore off in a week. Thank goodness.

I don't see why this warrants an article. 1 death out of millions of kids. Seem like pretty good odds to me. Roll on!

The amount of serious injuries is far higher. :slap:

Duh!:slap:
shoes with rollers.....or should i say wheels...lol

Duh!:slap:
shoes with rollers.....or should i say wheels...lol

LOL!!!!! I think they point they're trying to make it to have the kids wear helmets and pads just like when roller skating. And these are even harder to use, apparently.

LOL!!!!! I think they point they're trying to make it to have the kids wear helmets and pads just like when roller skating. And these are even harder to use, apparently.

lol...ok DK...i should have read the entire article.....it just 'hit me' that way, when i read the title, lol:p

My 25 year old daughter bought her step-son a pair of these and she put them on to try to help him figure out how they work, etc. She took a HORRIBLE fall on them. The problem was when you do whatever it is you do to stop - it's so abupt and you're going so fast - it just flung her forward and down she went hitting on her chin first and then the rest of her body followed. She had to have stitches in her chin, her whole chest, knees, everything had serious asphalt burn/scrapes. She promptly took them off and returned them. She didn't want to be responsible for her step-son getting hurt. And my daughter is very, very proficient at roller skating. But she said these things were killers!!!

The amount of serious injuries is far higher. :slap:

And if they aren't on roller shoes, the kids would probably be rolling around on something else. It's a matter of circumstance and being careless. The roller shoes don't necessarily facilitate this. If some kid doesn't get hurt or killed on these shoes, they'll get hurt somewhere else if they aren't paying attention or being careless.

my kids have these. i dont let them do anything crazy on them like jump ramps. i watch them with them like i would any type of skate. until we keep our kids in padded rooms i figure i watch them and try to be careful, just like on their bikes and roller skates and roller blades and skateboard.... any thing with wheels has a learning curve and risk,

I HATE THESE THINGS!!!

No offense to parents who supervise their kids but I cannot tell you how often I am in the busy grocery store and some little monster is rolling around ... the parents totally oblivious to the fact that their little angel is tripping over someone's grandmother.

I HATE THESE THINGS!!!

No offense to parents who supervise their kids but I cannot tell you how often I am in the busy grocery store and some little monster is rolling around ... the parents totally oblivious to the fact that their little angel is tripping over someone's grandmother.

ME TOO!!!! I'm getting crochety in my old age.

I can't stand these things either... My kids want them really bad but I say NO WAY.. one of the neighbor kids has them and I can't stand it when he "wheels" around on my hard wood floors!

I think they are a "cute" idea.....but not a Great idea..... no one is going to think to wear a helmet or pads while wearing them....... DOH!

I HATE THESE THINGS!!!

Me too! Not like these kids aren't rude enough, now they are fly by rude! I've seen them bump into people, knock over displays, grab hold of people or things because they are going too fast and all the while mama is three feet ahead never turning back to check.

I'm afraid I'm rude right back. I just had surgery and have stitches all down my front, this kid used his hands to stop me from running into him. Never mind I didn't see him coming shooting down the lane. When he hit my stomach I nearly fell to the floor in pain. I told him if he would just walk things like this wouldn't have happened. His mama got pissy and I had a few choice words over her lack of parenting...needless to say, I hate the shoes and the parents who let kids use them in crowded stores.

My kids do rollerblades, skateboards and reg skates, with proper gear in the proper place. Why is that so hard to understand for some?

Trendy wheeled sneakers that let kids zip down sidewalks, across playgrounds and through mall crowds could also send them rolling into emergency rooms on a stretcher, say doctors who blame a rash of injuries on the international craze.

It's called "heeling," named after Heelys, the most popular brand. They're sold in 70 countries and are so hot that their Carrollton, Texas, maker, Heelys Inc., recently landed atop BusinessWeek's annual list of fastest growing companies.

But doctors from Ireland to Singapore have reported treating broken wrists, arms and ankles; dislocated elbows and even cracked skulls in children injured while wearing roller shoes.

Over a 10-week period last summer, 67 children were treated for injuries from Heelys or strap-on wheels called Street Gliders at Temple Street Children's University Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, according to a report in the June edition of Pediatrics.

From September 2005 through December 2006, one death and at least 64 roller-shoe injuries were reported to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, a spokesman said last week.

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070604/ap_on_he_me/roller_shoe_injuries&printer=1

ap_small.gif

I think it's a sad day when it takes an article quoting stats from a doctor to replace good ol common sense!

Article gets a BIG FAT DUH from me.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee