Greta just announced another young person died on an overseas vacation

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
Another Natalie Holloway type situation is what this sounded like. Greta will be talking about the details in a few minutes. This is the first I had heard this today.

An 18 yr old American found dead in a hotel swimming pool. Our FBI has been called in.

An 18 yr old American found dead in a hotel swimming pool. Our FBI has been called in.

I thought NG covered this one w/the parents last week? I wish I could remember her name. She was on a peace mission (I think) with some other classmates. Typical situation, not enough appropriate chaperoning...IMO.

Is this the young lady that went on a mission trip with classmates to Ghanna? It sounds like no one can account for her for 11 hours after she was last seen alive leaving the pool. Then later was found in the pool and the autopsy showed that she had not been in the pool for an extended period of time.

Girl Dies On High School Trip
A New Jersey couple is demanding answers in the mysterious death of their teenage daughter, who died during a high school trip to Ghana. Randall Pinkston reports. |

I don't remember hearing anything about this. Parents will be on Greta in just a couple minutes.

This is another sad case of a young American woman dying while in another country. Her parents were on Greta tonight....they were somber yet sweet. They said the ME said the COD was accidental death. But how long was she in the pool before she was discovered? Her parents said the kids were up all night and were wandering in and out of each others room.

Prayers to her family.

This is another sad case of a young American woman dying while in another country. Her parents were on Greta tonight....they were somber yet sweet. They said the ME said the COD was accidental death. But how long was she in the pool before she was discovered? Her parents said the kids were up all night and were wandering in and out of each others room.

Prayers to her family.

Did they say if pool water was in her lungs? Or was she already dead and then put in the water? It is sad. Lesson learned here. No trips for our kids without me or dh coming along.

Did they say if pool water was in her lungs? Or was she already dead and then put in the water? It is sad. Lesson learned here. No trips for our kids without me or dh coming along.
Taximom, they didn't say. I'll try to find the transcript and reread it just to make sure.

Oh I'm with you about senior trips. My 25 yr old only went to beach week her senior year with adult supervision. Luckily my 16 yr old is too young to bug me about going yet.:crazy:

Taximom, they didn't say. I'll try to find the transcript and reread it just to make sure.

Oh I'm with you about senior trips. My 25 yr old only went to beach week her senior year with adult supervision. Luckily my 16 yr old is too young to bug me about going yet.:crazy:

Thanks for checking, philamena!

I hate it when my 22 yr old daughter goes on mini-vacations with her girlfriends! We stay in touch by texting, but that doesn't ease my worry. They seem to think they are invincible. I see differently here, everyday. :(

I saw this on NG and Greta last night. Eventhough these kids were on a peace mission and the kids were, for the most part 18, the chaparones should have made them use the 'buddy system.'

The group was sitting around the hotel pool area and at 10:30 they were asked to leave. The chaparones made sure all the kids left the pool area then they went to their room and went to sleep.

No one saw this young woman since she left the pool area alone, to go back to her room. Even when the young people were going back and forth to each others rooms, they noticed she wasn't there, looked around a bit, but didn't say anything to anyone. WTHeck?

I hope the parents have a second autopsy in the U.S. The original autopsy said 'accidental.' She was in the clothes she left in with her bathing suit underneath.

Such a tragedy. My prayers go out to her family. I hope they can find out more that the FBI is involved.

JMHO
fran

I saw this on NG and Greta last night. Eventhough these kids were on a peace mission and the kids were, for the most part 18, the chaparones should have made them use the 'buddy system.'

The group was sitting around the hotel pool area and at 10:30 they were asked to leave. The chaparones made sure all the kids left the pool area then they went to their room and went to sleep.

No one saw this young woman since she left the pool area alone, to go back to her room. Even when the young people were going back and forth to each others rooms, they noticed she wasn't there, looked around a bit, but didn't say anything to anyone. WTHeck?

I hope the parents have a second autopsy in the U.S. The original autopsy said 'accidental.' She was in the clothes she left in with her bathing suit underneath.

Such a tragedy. My prayers go out to her family. I hope they can find out more that the FBI is involved.

JMHO
fran

Fran,
The details that you give here make it sound suspicious. I agree with you that a second autopsy would be a good idea. Where was she for all that time, and why was she in the pool with her clothes on? Seems like if she just decided to sneak back for a swim, she would have been in her swimsuit only. Plus, what 18 year old sneaks in the pool alone? That is usually a group activity.

Fran,
The details that you give here make it sound suspicious. I agree with you that a second autopsy would be a good idea. Where was she for all that time, and why was she in the pool with her clothes on? Seems like if she just decided to sneak back for a swim, she would have been in her swimsuit only. Plus, what 18 year old sneaks in the pool alone? That is usually a group activity.
The parents have had a second autopsy; their expert is the one that said she had not been in the pool very long. Ghana's LE has stated she died from accidental drowning. Her parents didn't believe it and had the autopsy done about a week later when the body was returned to the states. They asked for her clothes, etc. for testing but the Ghana officials are saying they were destroyed. Now, however, other Ghana officials are saying that is not the case, but have not produced the items. Other students saw the girl leave the pool area to go to her room to change her clothes. Her roommate went up a short time later to do the same and Phylicia was not in the room. Phylicia was found, however, wearing the same clothes she had at the time she left the pool. Her parents asked for further investigation and help from the FBI because they thought they circumstances were strange and proved she never made it to her room so there must have been foul play. The FBI has not been able to get involved until Ghana LE made a request, which it appears they finally did yesterday. It may be another case of inept investigation by local authorities that will make it very difficult to make a case against the perpetrator if he is found.

JMHO
fran

I heard that when her body was found that it had nto been in the water long. Her skin did not display the pruning or wrinkling you would find in someone who had been in the water long. Also never heard it confirmed that there was water in her lungs indicating she had drowned. Her parents do not beleive this was accidental. However they are struggling as Beth Holloway did with International relations and laws.. the methodology of the criminal investigation is not to the standards of the US and they are suspicious that this is not accidental and the clues to the real cause are being missed.

However they are struggling as Beth Holloway did with International relations and laws.. the methodology of the criminal investigation is not to the standards of the US and they are suspicious that this is not accidental and the clues to the real cause are being missed.

Another international nightmare. I pray they find the answers. At least Ghana requested the FBI's assistance. Of course, Aruba did too, but then they wouldn't let them do anything except 'observe.'

JMHO
fran

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans