Komodo dragon kills child

LisainWV

Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19026658/

JAKARTA, Indonesia - A Komodo dragon attacked and killed an 8-year-old boy in eastern Indonesia, the first recorded deadly attack on a human by one of the giant lizards in 33 years, a national park spokesman said Monday.

How horrible for that little boy....his final minutes must have been horrendous:(

“A fishermen, who just happened to be the boy’s uncle, threw rocks at the lizard until it let the boy go and fled,” he said. “The boy died from massive bleeding half an hour later.”

I cant imagine how much he suffered :(

horrible indeed--killed by a dinosaur--I always heard that the Komodo Dragons were dangerous and now this sickening thing happening has really confirmed it

Didn't a Komodo dragon attack some actress's husband at a zoo a couple of years ago?

Didn't a Komodo dragon attack some actress's husband at a zoo a couple of years ago?

Sharon Stone's husband at the time had his foot bitten at a zoo several years ago. Komodo's are EXTREMELY dangerous. Even Steve Irwin wouldn't tangle with them and often had to run for his life from them.

Thanks DK for letting me know that my memory wasn't totally off on that. I couldn't remember who it was but I remember a lot of talk about it.

Those things are known to hunt and eat deer, yeah they are dangerous to humans.

I pretty much dislike lizards of any sort- but these things terrfiy me!

How sad the village had no hospital and the little boy died-

Sharon Stone's husband at the time had his foot bitten at a zoo several years ago. Komodo's are EXTREMELY dangerous. Even Steve Irwin wouldn't tangle with them and often had to run for his life from them.

And that's saying somethin'!!

Generally, Komodo Dragons attack and bite an animal--any animal or human they can and then leave it alone if it is large enough to give a good fight. But, that is not the end of it. The Komodo Dragon has evolved to have copious amounts of deadly bacteria that is significantly more pathogenic than what is found in any other animal's mouth. The prey/victim dies, usually after around three grueling days, due to bacteremia(blood poisoning by bacteria). Then the komodo(s) eat whatever it was that it killed. Small prey is usually eaten more quickly. Komodos are also cannibalistic. They won't hesitate to eat one of their own if it isn't too big so as to give them a good fight. I respect them as I respect all animals. But, I wouldn't want to get too close to one. That poor young boy. I feel so sad for him and his family.

Lion

And that's saying somethin'!!

No kidding! When the man who wrestles salt water crocs won't tangle with something, that something is one bad mother, LOL! I still remember that episode with him and the kimodos well.

No kidding! When the man who wrestles salt water crocs won't tangle with something, that something is one bad mother, LOL! I still remember that episode with him and the kimodos well.

I think I've seen snippets of it but not the whole episode

I've seen these things before though- they're like a huge goanna, and goannas are scary enough!

http://www.kidcyber.com.au/topics/goanna.htm

I think any monitor lizard would be formidible. Although I've never seen one stand on it's hind legs like that before! :eek:

Me either - lol- and I don't want to!

You don't see them unless you are in the country- they get quite vicious I hear- and have heard if you stand there still they climb up you like they would a tree ripping you to shreds :eek:

You reckon that's true Dingo?? (I know Dingos not on, but she might see this next time she's on and can verify that for me- she goes camping alot)

That poor little boy! I can't even imagine the pain he suffered. We were recently at a zoo and they had a komodo dragon. My dh is fascinated w/ certain lizards and was excited to see one and also explain to our dd just how dangerous this lizard is. Like LionRun stated, these lizards have deadly bacteria in their mouth that causes blood poisoning.

Here's a couple pictures from our recent zoo trip. The pictures were taken through glass, so they're a little cloudy looking.

100_9265.jpg

100_9264.jpg

Here's some interesting info on komodo dragons.

http://www.honoluluzoo.org/komodo_dragon.htm

Just searching the web and found this picture. I can't even imagine this coming at me.

komodo_dragon_01tfk.jpg

Me either - lol- and I don't want to!

You don't see them unless you are in the country- they get quite vicious I hear- and have heard if you stand there still they climb up you like they would a tree ripping you to shreds :eek:

You reckon that's true Dingo?? (I know Dingos not on, but she might see this next time she's on and can verify that for me- she goes camping alot)
It is true Narla.....number one rule if you are being attacked by a goanna (shudder)is to lay down....they will try to climb a person like a tree with horrific results.
The Goannas mouth is full of bacteria aswell making for a very slow and painful death if medical help is not recieved.

Kahskye those pics really bring a sense to the real horror this little boy must have went through......rest his poor little soul.

So sad!

I remember Sharon Stone's husband tussle with one, but always thought he was a totall chucklehead for having the zoo closed down to get into the cage with it...:loser:

But this little boy is a whole different story. Our zoo has a Komodo dragon. I did not know they were so dangerous.

It is true Narla.....number one rule if you are being attacked by a goanna (shudder)is to lay down....they will try to climb a person like a tree with horrific results.
The Goannas mouth is full of bacteria aswell making for a very slow and painful death if medical help is not recieved.

Geez, so it was true-

Didn't know that Dingo-

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy