MI - Fathi Cullen for attempted rape, Grand Haven, 2007

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
From http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-36/1181051262120950.xml&coll=6 :

(You might need to enter a zip code to access article.)

When he was 12, a Grand Haven Township boy landed on the state's juvenile sex-offender registry after he assaulted a woman at the Meijer store in Georgetown Township last year.

The victim from the Meijer assault said the boy left her scared and shocked after he approached her in the store and said "Hey, you're hot," before he started grabbing for her breasts and groin area.

"I was hysterical. I was freaking out," recalled the woman, who did not want to be named. "I ended up punching him in the face to get him to stop."

She said [Fathi] Cullen, less than 5 feet tall, was sitting on a bench when she entered the store and he followed her.

(The name of this thread is the headline from the newspaper article, and not of my own making.)

Is he a sexual predator? Heck, yeah! Look at all of the sexual assaults he has comitted so far! He is sick and dangerous. Most likely,imo, the assaults will only escalate as he ages unless he is stopped by LE.
No way can his behavior be compared to normal sexual experimentation. Very sad, but this boy can never be trusted not to hurt someone else. IMO

Susan

This kid is a serial groper lol--but seriously he needs to be locked up in Juvy Hall and then get some treatment by a shrink--Maybe it'll help but it probably won't

Let's see -- He is convicted of 4th degree sexual assault at age 12 - undergoes sex offender treatment - accesses sexual websites in violation of probation - inappropriately touches school personnel - follows a woman to her home and sexually assaults her - and is finally arrested trying to grope two other girls! My guess is -- YEP -- AND his behavior is escalating -- Time for some serious lockdown, IMO!

omg yes he needs to be on the registry. he needs to spend a few years locked down in a mental hospital.

Let's see -- He is convicted of 4th degree sexual assault at age 12 - undergoes sex offender treatment - accesses sexual websites in violation of probation - inappropriately touches school personnel - follows a woman to her home and sexually assaults her - and is finally arrested trying to grope two other girls! My guess is -- YEP -- AND his behavior is escalating -- Time for some serious lockdown, IMO!

and let me guess - they will probably let him go to school with OUR children!

This boy is really brazen. I'd like to know how a kids can be sexual offenders. Could there be some underlying mental illness, psychopath, low intelligence, or a combination of things combined with rage. I know that some kids who are sexually abused will try and act out towards other children, but kids like this one who show predator tendencies must have something else going on.

I think this kid needs to be committed to a mental hospital for evaluation. I would think that he has been the victim of some sexual abuse. Not especially that he was groped, raped, etc. but that maybe he has been witnessing this type of horror all his life and thinks that this is normal behaviour.

I pray that either way he is taken off the streets.

http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6934241

"A judge in the case of a 13-year-old accused of attempted rape ruled the teen is competent to stand trail and his case will move forward on all five counts he faces.

"Fathi Cullen will be tried as a juvenile in family court, but is eligible for adult punishment if he's convicted. That includes prison.

"He's facing five charges, from attempted rape to home invasion.

"Cullen has a criminal past that already includes sexual assault, indecent exposure, and probation violation."

Hate to say it but this kid needs to be locked up forever. He not only is a sexual predator, who will never be rehabilitated, but he most likely was molested himself.

How freakin sad is it that a 13 yr old is a sexual assaulter and pervert?!!

http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6934241

"A judge in the case of a 13-year-old accused of attempted rape ruled the teen is competent to stand trail and his case will move forward on all five counts he faces.

"Fathi Cullen will be tried as a juvenile in family court, but is eligible for adult punishment if he's convicted. That includes prison.

"He's facing five charges, from attempted rape to home invasion.

"Cullen has a criminal past that already includes sexual assault, indecent exposure, and probation violation."
no way will this kid get life. i wish he was because i doubt he will ever stop. somehow at such a young age his mind has become so warped that he is a danger to every female he comes in contact with. when he gets out he will be bigger and more angry. he will have learned from older rapist how to hide his crimes better. he will be worse than he is now. i hope they lock him up for as long as possible. it is the difference from him creating new victims in 10 years or 20.

I've never heard of anyone being tried as a juvenile, but facing adult sentencing. Anyone here ever hear of this???????

I've never heard of anyone being tried as a juvenile, but facing adult sentencing. Anyone here ever hear of this???????

NO. But possibly it means his sentence will include adult prison time once he is of age?

I guess my concern about this case is what the hell is going on in this child's home life?
This is not one instance so where the heck are his parents??
This is just the first thing I wonder when someone sooo young is already so messed up.

NO. But possibly it means his sentence will include adult prison time once he is of age?

I guess my concern about this case is what the hell is going on in this child's home life?
This is not one instance so where the heck are his parents??
This is just the first thing I wonder when someone sooo young is already so messed up.

Well someone mentioned that he faces "life" in prison. That is not in the juvenile sentencing guidelines. Even if he stayed in the juvenile prison until his 18th birthday and moved to an adult prison until the age of 21, which is the guideline for some states, he would HAVE to be released at the age of 21.

Well someone mentioned that he faces "life" in prison. That is not in the juvenile sentencing guidelines. Even if he stayed in the juvenile prison until his 18th birthday and moved to an adult prison until the age of 21, which is the guideline for some states, he would HAVE to be released at the age of 21.
Hate to say it but this kid needs to be locked up forever
no way will this kid get life
if this is the part where you saw life i can only speak for myself. i posted noway he would get life because of the post before it. i "think" the post about locked up forever was what they hoped.

maybe this link will explain better what he faces. http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/328551648172022.bsp

Accused of criminal sexual conduct, Fathi, of Grand Haven Township, is lodged in the Ottawa County Juvenile Detention Center and may face adult sentencing if a judge approves a petition to designate him as an adult.
On June 6, Ottawa County Assistant Prosecutor Jennifer Kuiper petitioned Juvenile Court Judge Mark Feyen to designate Cullen as an adult. With this designation, the boy would be afforded the same protection as an adult, giving Feyen the option to sentence Cullen as an adult, Kuiper said. The judge still has the option to sentence the boy as a juvenile or impose a delayed sentence.
"The reason we're asking for designation in this case is due to the serious nature of the crime, the juvenile's history, and in order to make sure our community is safe," Kuiper said Monday afternoon. "We feel if the community is at risk by allowing a certain person to be out and just on juvenile probation, then we have to do something like this to ensure the safety of the community."
At hearing scheduled for 10 a.m. Wednesday, Feyen is expected to decide on the petition for adult designation. A competency hearing to see if Fathi Cullen is legally competent and criminally responsible is scheduled to happen prior to the designation hearing.

a few of you have said the child must have been abused. this was at the link i posted above.
Before the Cullens adopted him, Fathi was neglected and abused by his biological parents, court records show. Both biological parents were battling substance abuse and mental problems.
In previous foster care, a foster sibling also sexually abused Fathi.

wasn't cody posey tried like this? at the end it could have went either way? i find it hard to remember but i thought he could have been sentenced as a adult or child in the end.

a few of you have said the child must have been abused. this was at the link i posted above.

Lovely, so this child never really had a chance and the foster care system that should have protected him only exposed him to further abuse.
He was obviously treated worse then an animal and now he is displaying what his upbringing taught him.

I am not defending what he did... But I do think it is a sad waste of human life. None of the adults in this child's world are accountable.
All of this falls on the head of a very young seriously messed up child.
Are his parents in prison?? Or any one from child services or how about the Foster parents who did not prevent sexual abuse in their home?
All of those adults who created this mess and only the 13 YO has to answer for it.
There is simply noway in light of his upbringing that he has the decision making skills of a normal 13 yo.

How do you unlearn abuse? Sad to say this kid is damaged...he needs to be separated and watched. Probably for the rest of his life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back