Scam Targeting Military Families

Levi

Reaction score
Jun 05 2007 6:43PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The American Red Cross was warning military families on Tuesday to be aware of a new scam targeting their personal information.

According to a press release issued by the Red Cross, someone has been calling military spouses claiming to be with the Red Cross. The person says their husband, who is not identified by name, was wounded in Iraq and they need his social security number and birth date to verify his identity, the release said.

For the rest of the article GO HERE: http://10tv.com/?sec=news&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200706/1579351943.html

Talk about a low life tragedy pimp! This is the most disgusting thing I've heard all day!

They are psychopaths who obviously have no moral decency. I hope the responsible for this, get hard JAIL TIME.

While scummy, I'd think that very few would fall for this. (I'd hope!) Surely most people know that if they were to get such a call, the military would give their loved one's service number? Social Security was *NEVER* meant to be used as identity anyway, for this very reason. Makes me mad that it is a sort of identification now, even though it's illegal. :banghead:

ETA: Adding, the first call they would be getting wouldn't be from the Red Cross, it'd be some kind of notice from their loved one's military branch! The Red Cross isn't in charge of notifying families that their loved one is injured, or dead, is it? As far as I know, they aren't.

I can see how military dependants could fall for this. The Red Cross are the only people allowed to contact a military member about his or her family emergencies. It wouldn't be that hard to convince next of kin that it works the other way around, too. (It doesn't. Next of kin are notified of casualties by the member's service command.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back