769 users online (119 members and 650 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Teen Dies From Muscle Cream Overdose

A budding teenage athlete has died after 'overdosing' on a common topical muscle cream.
    The medical examiner announced on Thursday that the 17-year-old track star, Arielle Newman of Castleton Corners, N.Y., died from a toxic dose of sports cream, the Staten Island Advance reported.
    Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner's officer told the Advance that the Notre Dame Academy track star's blood contained lethal amounts of methyl salicylate, the active ingredient found in muscle rubs such as BenGay and Icy Hot.
    Borakove said the petite girl used the topical medication excessively, allowing the poisons to accumulate in her body over an undetermined amount of time.
    Newman was found dead in her home on April 3. The initial autopsy was inconclusive, which led to speculation her death was linked to a party she had attended the night before.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,279482,00.html

Oh my gosh, this is scary! I honestly didn't know you could die from something like that!

Gosh, over dose from a muscle cream? This is sad.. She is so young, too...

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

In similar cases, people have died from using too much benzocaine type numbing creams before leg waxing. Apparently they covered their entire legs in it and absorbed a lethal dose. There should be a black box warning telling how much is too much and how frequently you can use it.

I'd like to know how much is too much, we use Icy Hot all the time... my crusty old goat husband is always hurting himself.

Good Lord! Who knew such a thing was even possible! Prayers to her family.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    I'd like to know how much is too much, we use Icy Hot all the time... my crusty old goat husband is always hurting himself.
    I also did not know that this topical cream could be lethal. I love Icy Hot. In fact, when I was running marathons and training really hard "back in the day," I used to put that on my aching legs before my runs.

I'm not aware of any warning on the label. There should be one if there isn't one already.

I never knew this could happen either. That is scarey. My seventy-seven yr. old mom uses these products often. I'll have to warn her. I know it says it has a warning on the product but I wish they would stress that it could cause death. Poor girl.

The more I think about it, I think that her death was due to other factors. I just do not believe that she died from applying Ben Gay. They are searching for causes. It's just my opinion, but I am not altering my use of this product. I guess that you can die from anything if you really overdo it. As we all know, people have died from drinking too much water. So, I guess that balance is the key.