654 users online (87 members and 567 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

School Defends Serving Gin to 6th Graders

School Defends Serving 6th-Graders Gin

AKRON, Ohio An Ohio charter school that emphasizes African history and culture served gin to sixth graders at a graduation ceremony and state education officials said they plan to investigate.
    Four students were given a teaspoon of gin mixed with water in a ceremony modeled on a Ghanian rite of passage event, said Kwa David Whitaker, a Phoenix Village Academy official.
    The ritual was intended to teach truthfulness, said Whitaker, who oversaw the Tuesday ceremony.
    The students were blindfolded, giving them the uncertain feeling that goes with moving from one stage of life to another, he said. Each student was given a teaspoon of water and a teaspoon of the gin-water mix, and then asked to identify which contained water.
    The students recognized that the gin wasn't water and spit it out before swallowing, Whitaker said. The point is to teach the children to be honest, he said.

More at link
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shar...hol.html?imw=Y

Maybe next, we'll give them Peyote to honor an ancient Native American rite of passage event!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I read this this morning and went

Who thought this was a good plan?

These people need to go to some sort of common sense training with the other idiot teachers from this year - the "pranksters" who told the campers about an armed gunman on the loose, the woman who wrote a love letter to her 12 yo student, the children's book author who offered to sign a child's forehead if she stood naked on a table, the sub who screened Brokeback Mountain for 8th graders...I'm sure there are more.

It was a tiny amount of gin and I'm sure it didn't harm anyone, but WHY??? Why would a teacher think this was a good idea? Are people just that stupid?

OKay I am not real sure how excited I am about this. but either which way, anything controversial should have been cleared by parents..no matter what it is.

Probably not a great idea by the school, but we're talking about a teaspoon. I don't think I'd lose any sleep over my kid partaking in the festivities.

This is my issue with charter schools.

They don't have to play by the "rules" of public schools but they get tax dollars.

Any middle school principal would be reassigned over something like this.

Even if it was "harmless" in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrity View Post
    Probably not a great idea by the school, but we're talking about a teaspoon. I don't think I'd lose any sleep over my kid partaking in the festivities.
    Me neither. How much alcohol does cough syrup have in it? Couldnt have been much different than this.

I didnt read the original article, but of course it shouldve been cleared with the parents.

A TEASPOON of gin that the kids spit out. Didnt even swallow. heh..it wouldnt have bothered me in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Maybe next, we'll give them Peyote to honor an ancient Native American rite of passage event!
    Why not? It's legal for church members!

No, I don't advocate giving any child drugs...ever. But mine have tasted beer. The difference being, their father gave them a sip. Never at a school sponsored event...well it could be, we home school lol

For the record, I hate beer...and thankfully so did my kids!

I prolly wouldn't have gotten upset as long as I was told first. Children in Europe drink watered down wine from a young age. Not saying it's right but it's not such a huge issue.

I wouldn't want anyone giving my kids alcohol since I don't drink, teach them not to ever drink, and my religious preference doesn't believe in drinking. Gin is alcohol that is sold to the public, is a drug, tastes horrible, and kids' cough mixtures aren't usually made with any alcohol. The school was teaching telling the truth, but were very unethical, probably illegal, and as usual whether charter or public, a school that thinks they have every right to do as they please with no consequences.

tastes horrible indeed--I can't believe the kids didn't throw up--Gin is nasty stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton View Post
    tastes horrible indeed--I can't believe the kids didn't throw up--Gin is nasty stuff
    Well they all spit it out. Nobody swallowed the teaspoon full.

I can think of a few different ways to teach "honesty" and none of them require GIN.

What would a parent be charged with had this been done in the home and someone reported them to LE? Those teenage brats that taught their younger relatives how to smoke pot (and taped it) are still in jail, right? What's the difference between introducing pot (besides pot being illegal) and introducing alcohol to a minor?

Taximom,
    I agree. I don't want anyone offering alcohol to my kids. It doesn't matter if it was a teaspoon or not. Kinda like someone telling kids they can kiss but not have full on sex. I think the school crossed the line.

I'm pretty sure giving ANY alcohol to a minor is illegal.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    It was a tiny amount of gin and I'm sure it didn't harm anyone, but WHY??? Why would a teacher think this was a good idea? Are people just that stupid?

Yep. I'm beginning to think they are.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    While I wouldn't want the local schools to give my children alcohol, I have let them (almost 17 & 6) have a sip from my wineglass or whatever other drink I might be having. The only thing my 6 year old thought was a little tasty was ice wine (really sweet) and even then he only got some on his lips and licked it off. He thinks every thing else is gross. My daughter on the other hand likes daquiris, so she gets none alcohol ones. She doesn't care for the taste of beer or wine.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast