642 users online (125 members and 517 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Hand Sanitizer Can Be Dangerous To Children

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp

I have been meaning to post this for a while. Every parent needs to be aware of this.
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205 View Post
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp

I have been meaning to post this for a while. Every parent needs to be aware of this.

Oh, Lord. Not only is this scary for parents of young ones, but I guess now those with older kids will have to watch the sanitizer for signs of abuse. There just isn't anything safe anymore.

I have known a couple of kids to vomit after using the stuff. Having two small kids myself, I don't use it anymore than I have to on them. I use it on myself all the time though. They say that it's not a problem after 15 to 30 seconds, but if you use too much of it you could have a problem for much longer I would think.

It's scary that something like that -- that we willingly use on small children -- contains more alcohol than most hard liquors than we adults sometimes don't care to drink.

I agree that ALL parents AND TEACHERS need to be aware of using this stuff. And keeping it up away from all kids is a good idea. I know that many teachers have begun using this instead of going to the restroom before lunch to save time. Probably this will have them thinking again.

Another reason hand sanatizer is not safe is that it prevents children from being exposed to the normal everyday germs they use to be exposed to and they are not building up the natural immunities that children use to.

Colds, Flu's, sore throats and fevers are a normal part of childhood. Notice how much worse the flu seems these days? The number of children that have ahsma (sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    Another reason hand sanatizer is not safe is that it prevents children from being exposed to the normal everyday germs they use to be exposed to and they are not building up the natural immunities that children use to.

Colds, Flu's, sore throats and fevers are a normal part of childhood. Notice how much worse the flu seems these days? The number of children that have ahsma (sp?)

HMMMM... I had not thought about it, but it makes sense. My daughter had strep throat SEVEN times this past year in preschool (got her tonsils and adenoinds out last week of May). I think honestly it was because the teacher never REALLY made the kids wash their hands -- which is always the best way to keep the really bad stuff away.

She's been exposed to the lesser stuff, and I can handle that stuff, but there were many kids in the hospital with minor viral infections from her class that I honestly think had they been exposed to it younger they wouldn't have been so bad.

As far as I know, asthma is more of a hereditary / congenital type of thing. However, it can be made worse by colds and allergies, which is why many parents of kids with asthma try so hard to keep their kids away from them.

You make a good point Amraann.

The idea that sterility = healthy is a false one. Soap and water is still the best and healthiest way to go. I personally cant stand the hand sanitizers and dont use them. Same with antibacterial hand soaps. I go out of my way to find just plain ole soap!
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Me too on the soap!!!!! Why pay for all the antibacterial stuff when you don't need it? I will use the sanitizer or antibacterial if there is nothing else, though -- especially when I'm out with a group or something like that. I had thought about getting some and a travel dispenser to put in a ziploc though...

I think now would be a good time to teach all kids the "right" way to wash their hands. Most don't have a clue, I suspect.

I am also not a fan of hand sanitizers. I have eczema so the thought of putting something that will burn my hands is enough to keep me from using them. I work in a children's hospital and they have the dispensers all over the place. I will mention this info to the medical director.
    A little story...When my son was born (they have the purell dispensers in all the rooms) I did not want people using the alcohol based cleaner and then touching my newborn. I felt his skin was too sensitive. My monster in law came to visit us one day and I kept trying to re-direct her to the sink to wash her hands the old fashioned way. After repeating myself for the 3rd time that she could wash her hands in the sink "over there" she shot me such a wicked dirty look that I will never forget. Whenever I think of hand sanitizers it reminds me of that incident. Thanks for letting me share-now let me go wash my hands with soap and water!

I had once read an article about a study backing up what I posted above.

It was at least a year ago so I don't have a link.

Kygal I hope your daughter has recovered well

Sounds scarry about the viral infections going around the preschool class though.

I know that over the past few years my younger children have had teachers request hand sanatizer on the class supply list for all children.

I am glad you posted this Shadow. I've known about it for awhile. We dont use hand sanitizers in our house. We rub vinegar on our hands as an alternative. In fact I've gotten rid of all my cleaning supplies because of toxins because we have a 2 year old. I use baking soda and vinegar and it works just as good and it is a safer alternative.
    More info on vinegar:
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vin...old-germs.html
    http://www.vinegartips.com/

Thanks, my girl did much better than even I thought she would. Now she's eating me out of house and home (gained nearly 5 lbs since then, back up to normal weight for her age / height ).

I think the preschool we switched her to (for reason above) in the local elementary school doesn't use it, but they are right next to the bathroom. Actually, I don't think the teachers here use it much because they don't like it either. But they also believe that the five minutes it takes for kids to wash their hands is worth it -- and they have a 95 percent attendance rate. Hmmm... maybe there's a pattern here.

I'm a purest when it comes to cleanling. The best way to clean something is soap and water. My nursing teacher always said that was best too. Even the bar soap works great if you lather it up well. A little baking soda for the tough messes and simple green for household stuff. My skin is too sensitive for all that junk. I get rashes and my hands get so dry they are scratchy if I use to many chemicals....Mosy nasty stuff you can catch is viral anyways. Who needs the anti bacterial crap. It's overkill. The best way to build your immune system is to be exposed a little.

Not having it in the house also helps with my 3 yr old who likes to paint my 1 year old. He dumped a whole bottle of Softscrub on his head. Poor baby had an itchy rash for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by mammasweets View Post
    I'm a purest when it comes to cleanling. The best way to clean something is soap and water. My nursing teacher always said that was best too. Even the bar soap works great if you lather it up well. A little baking soda for the tough messes and simple green for household stuff. My skin is too sensitive for all that junk. I get rashes and my hands get so dry they are scratchy if I use to many chemicals....Mosy nasty stuff you can catch is viral anyways. Who needs the anti bacterial crap. It's overkill. The best way to build your immune system is to be exposed a little.

Not having it in the house also helps with my 3 yr old who likes to paint my 1 year old. He dumped a whole bottle of Softscrub on his head. Poor baby had an itchy rash for a week.

That sounds like something that would have happened in my house -- except my 2 yr old would have dumped on my 4 yr old.

I've gotten used to cleaning my house with a hand-held steamer for regular cleaning. If I deep clean, most of the time I use bleach or vinegar solutions. I have several chemical allergies that make cleaning with conventional cleaners hard to do.

Kygal I would not associate attendance with the health of the students or staff......

Sadly with today's dual working families many parents send their kids to school sick... Not only that but many schools are very harsh about attendance and parents often are afraid of their child missing to many days.

I have a steamer. It does not steam carpets but hard floors (something I definitely think is healthier than carpets when like us you have 4 kids and several pets)
    It also has attachments to clean just about any other surface in the house including upholstery.

Isn't it plain common sense to NOT let your children ingest hand sanitizer?
    Kinda like not letting them drink detergent. sheezeeeeee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast