1133 users online (212 members and 921 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CT - Ann Simmeck, 72, Middlefield, 1999

Her estranged husband was still mowing her lawn and her utilities were still on, since 1999! Unbelievable!!!! With friends and family such as this, who needs enemies???

http://www.wfsb.com/news/13473195/detail.html?cnn=yes

MIDDLEFIELD, Conn. -- The skeletal remains of an elderly woman were found Friday in her home, more than seven years after neighbors last reported seeing her.

Ann M. Simmeck apparently died of natural causes, according to an autopsy conducted later Friday. She would have been 79 years old.

The autopsy could not determine the year and date of her death, believed to have occurred several years ago inside her split-level ranch home.

The home, which bears a strongly worded "no trespassing" sign, still had working electric service. Calendars and food inside the freezer were dated 1999 and earlier, neighbors who talked with investigators told The Hartford Courant.
    "Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."~ Plato
    ~The above reflects only my opinion...

Good Lord--This is the second time we've read about this sort of situation--last time was the guy dead in front of the TV--didn't neighbors notice anything after so many years?

Did this lady have kids or any other family? Why didn't neighbors report her missing or something after they noticed that she was not around?
    Happy New Years

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    Did this lady have kids or any other family? Why didn't neighbors report her missing or something after they noticed that she was not around?
    From the article:
    Officers visited the property Friday and found Simmeck's skeletal remains after a family member became concerned about Simmeck's absence and called police.

So it took several years for this family member to become concerned about her absence?

Oops, I only skimmed the article and somehow I missed that. Why would you wait years to start wondering what happened to dear ole grandma, Aunt Betty, Cousin Sue, etc?
    Happy New Years

I know this is pretty heartless to say but when I heard the story on the news this morning my first thought was 'her utilities are still on!' Whenver I'm even a month late they threaten to cut them off.

I know that most of us think of some sweet elderly grandmother when we think of the elderly, but based on the "strongly worded No Trespassing sign" I think that in part this women brought this on herself.

Not all elderly are sweet nor kind.. some infact (like people of any age) alienate others and become rather mean.
    I am not saying that is worthy of being left ignored for 7 years but you have to ask just what would prompt family or friends to never look in on her in all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I know that most of us think of some sweet elderly grandmother when we think of the elderly, but based on the "strongly worded No Trespassing sign" I think that in part this women brought this on herself.

Not all elderly are sweet nor kind.. some infact (like people of any age) alienate others and become rather mean.
    I am not saying that is worthy of being left ignored for 7 years but you have to ask just what would prompt family or friends to never look in on her in all this time.
    Amraann, You've got a point. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I should take down the card on my front door that says:

"We have a church. We donated at the office. We do not want to buy anything. Thanks Anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by angelwngs View Post
    Amraann, You've got a point. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I should take down the card on my front door that says:

"We have a church. We donated at the office. We do not want to by anything. Thanks Anyway."

I would not consider that strongly worded angelwngs!! Also it does not at all indicate that you do not wish visits from family or friends

I actually like the sign on the door!!

Out of all of those people, I wonder why the estranged husband didn't question never hearing from her or seeing her. Did he just drive by and decide the grass needed to be cut and assume that she expected him to do it? Perhaps that was their arrangement and he just did it. I know she could have direct deposit and automatic bill payment to keep utilities on etc, but what about her mail? She could have had a post office box but even that would have backed up. How many years worth of mail would the post office keep there if she never came to retrieve it?

around here, strongly worded no trespassing signs are common. and few people dare to trespass in certain places. there are a few joking ones, like 'trespassers will be shot. survivors will be prosecuted.' in big red letters. even if we think its a joke, we still hesitate.

its sad what happened to this lady. i wonder who was paying her electric bill.

I would not consider that strongly worded angelwngs!! Also it does not at all indicate that you do not wish visits from family or friends

I actually like the sign on the door!!
    Spring brings out the pine straw peddlers and the lawn maintance and tree cutting guys... I got so tired of stopping to see who was ringing my doorbell, that I put the card on the door to put a stop to it.

It's worked, too! Front doorbell hasn't rung once since the card was put up!

(I just ordered the plastic engraved version of this, , (like a desk name plate), from our local office supply store! The girl on the phone cracked up, but said she was going to order herself one as well! LOL)

I didn't know you knew my mother, Amraann, but I doubt she will appreciate being described so accurately on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I didn't know you knew my mother, Amraann, but I doubt she will appreciate being described so accurately on the internet.
    LOL, Nova! This reminds me of my former MIL. She always had a prominent "No Solicitors" sign on her front door. The first time I met her she informed me she had never wished for a daughter (smugly, since she had 3 boys). She spoke in her native tongue, not English, whenever I was around and when I was putting on make-up one morning in her home she came in and turned out the lights, saying I was using too much electricity. I was married to her son by then and handed her a dime and said I thought that should cover it, as I turned the lights back on. Of course, now we are divorced but it didn't end there. The last time she saw me she informed me that I was getting "fat," and when she was introduced to my new husband she said, "My son's a GOOD man, too!" (Ialmost told her what I thought of THAT assessment but what's the use?

Eve

So where was the mail? Where were her social security checks going? And how did the utilites get paid? Who paid the taxes on the house?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast