FL - Chey'nia Joseph, 22 mos, dies in hot car, Port St Lucie, 10 June 2007

Shadow205

Reaction score
PORT ST. LUCIE — A 22-month-old girl died Sunday, about an hour after her mother found her overheated in the family car parked in the driveway, police said.
Paramedics responded to the home at 152 S.W. Pilsner Circle at 1:30 p.m. Parents of the girl called 911 to report the toddler was having a seizure.
Chey'nia Laytrice Joseph was rushed to St. Lucie Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead at 2:34 p.m.
<snip>
Between 30 minutes to an hour before they found the girl in the car, police say, the parents had brought all the kids into their rooms and went to take a shower.
"We believe the child walked outside her bedroom, opened up the car door and got into the car," said Port St. Lucie police spokesman Robert Vega.

more at the link http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2007/06/11/0611baby.html

Sad, sad, sad. This is the time of year we hear of more and more deaths of children left in cars. It's a preventable death. :(

She wasn't left in the car, at least. She wasn't being watched that closely, from what it sounds like, and got into the car herself. :( I thought this was going to be one of those "forgot I had a child in the car" stories, philamena. You are right, it's that time of year. :(

I don't get people, it's so simple to keep your kids out of the cars. Lock em up and put the keys where they can't get em.

I live in a community where so many don't lock their doors, cars or otherwise. I've seen em go into big stores and leave windows down!

I always lock my doors of my cars, esp at home.

How terribly sad. She must have gotten in and either fell asleep, as heat makes you sleepy, or couldn't figure out how to get the door open again. Poor soul.

And before a ton of people start jumping on the parents, kids will get gone in a flash of an eye. This sounds like an accident, preventable or not, I suppose these people never thought in a million years their child would go get in the car.

How does a 22 month old baby open a car door? My 3&1/2 year old nephew cant open up a car door yet. It must of not been closed for the baby to be able to climb in and then it probibly closed on her. Sad indeed. :(

How does a 22 month old baby open a car door? My 3&1/2 year old nephew cant open up a car door yet. It must of not been closed for the baby to be able to climb in and then it probibly closed on her. Sad indeed. :(

That is exactly what I was thinking - how does a 22 month old open a car door - let alone close it?????

A very sad tragedy. I do hope it was an accident. I don't know how a 22 month old can open a car door, perhaps another child did and let her in?

My 4.5 yr old just learned to open the car door from the outside. I don't know if he can from the inside. He's on the taller side, and he can't yet wrap his hand around the round front door handle. I always keep the car door locked. Besides not just for him, but we have tons of kids playing in our parking lot all the time, and I keep a small box of toys in the car. I would not want to risk someone else's kid climing into my car and getting stuck inside.

Maybe this baby had help from one of the other children?

That is exactly what I was thinking - how does a 22 month old open a car door - let alone close it?????

This is truly tragic! I too wonder how she could open the car, unless if wasn't shut tight. I'm curious what type of car it was. I don't think the parents are at fault, just wish the car door had been locked. I know, I'm at fault for sometimes leaving my van unlocked.

Both of my children could open the car doors before they were two. They could open the electronic sliding doors (we have a minivan) AND the regular driver and passenger doors.

I in no way blame the parents for this heartbreaking accident, but when my kids were this age, I didn't feel comfortable taking a shower if someone wasn't keeping an eye on them. Kids really can get gone in a split second.

How sad. My son will be 3 next month and has just started being able to open the car door, but all kids are different, I guess it is possible that she could have done it herself.
I wonder what attracted her to the car. For my son, he likes to honk the horn (the neighbors love that) if only she'd honked the horn.

I agree, I never take a shower unless my husband is home... but it sounds like the dad was home...

We also don't always keep our car doors locked, it is something I will definitely start doing.

I hope this truly was an accident.

I have never had a kid or ever known a kid that went out of the house on their own other than to look for mom or dad. My grandson only goes out alone if he can't find me in the house [because I'm in the basement getting laundry]. Seems a little odd to me too that a two-year-old could even open a car door and then shut it. They don't think that way.

22 months is not even 2 yet so I find that suspiscious..
Further I find it odd that they say "parents" went to take a shower.
They could not take seperate showers so that one adult was watching the children?

Who the hell leaves a 22 month old unsupervised?
IMO an accident is something that happens through no fault of anyone...
This clearly is not the case when parents are simply stupid and neglectful.

22 months is not even 2 yet so I find that suspiscious..
Further I find it odd that they say "parents" went to take a shower.
They could not take seperate showers so that one adult was watching the children?

Who the hell leaves a 22 month old unsupervised?
IMO an accident is something that happens through no fault of anyone...
This clearly is not the case when parents are simply stupid and neglectful.
Ditto

My son is 22 months old. Even if he opened the doors via the remote (minivan) he wouldn't be able to climb in on his own and he is a tall little boy. I agree all children are not the same but something doesn't seem right about this story. It's tragic for the family, regardless.

We just lost a little 2 year old boy here in Hesperia about 2 weeks ago. Parents noticed him missing and found him in the car. He had walked out of the apartment, got in the car and accidently locked it. He couldn't open it. The investigators said the car's internal temperature reached 175 degrees. So sad. The parents we so distraught that they left town for a bit. Accidents do happen. I know that's it's hard to keep an eye on a 2 year old 24/7.

I have a 2 1/2 year old and she can open and close all my car doors and has been able to for a little while now. It scared me so I started locking them. That poor little girl. Its really sad and could have been prevented.

We just lost a little 2 year old boy here in Hesperia about 2 weeks ago. Parents noticed him missing and found him in the car. He had walked out of the apartment, got in the car and accidently locked it. He couldn't open it. The investigators said the car's internal temperature reached 175 degrees. So sad. The parents we so distraught that they left town for a bit. Accidents do happen. I know that's it's hard to keep an eye on a 2 year old 24/7.

That is not an accident either!! A 2 year old!! You lock the front doors (with keyed deadbolts if your 2 YO is a little Houdini) and you child proof and WATCH them..
IN the story you told it was not a mere 5 minutes the child was out of site.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back