GA GA - Arlie Horne, Vidalia, 30 May 2007

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
No age listed, but his elderly...step daughters are upset, feel not enough being done by LE to find him.

arlie.jpg

Snips

Two weeks ago, a Vidalia man disappeared. So did the older truck he drove for hunting or around town. Two issues of Vidalia's weekly paper sit untouched at the door to Arlie Horne's apartment. His step daughters say his sudden disappearance makes them think the worst.

One of the step daughters, Gayle Drake, says police at first treated Arlie's disappearance as a surprise vacation. She doesn't think police have taken the case as seriously as they should. "No one has told me anything and I'm the one that initially called the FBI, I called the GBI.," she stated.

She said, to her knowledge, Vidalia Police had not sought assistance from the GBI, the sheriff's department or any other agency.

Vidalia police disagree. Chief Frank Waits said they've worked with those two agencies and others. He says Vidalia detectives entered Horne and his truck in state and national data bases while they look for him closer to home.

"With the help of a Georgia State Patrol helicopter Friday, we searched, by air, Toombs County, Tattnall County, Candler County and Montgomery County looking at the hunting clubs that Mr. Horne was known to frequent with nothing found," countered Chief Waits.

Waits also said he can't provide case information to those outside blood relatives; instead he's continually updating Horne's brother in Florida.

While his step family fears for his safety, they and police hope he comes back soon to end the worry his disappearance has caused.

If you've seen Arlie Horne or his 1986 Gray Ford F-150, call Vidalia police at 912.537.4123, the GBI's Eastman office at 478.374.6988 or your local authorities.

From the Project Jason website at http://www.projectjason.org/dpforum/thread.php?id=971

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...0_amber11m.html

Investigators Find a Clue Inside of Missing Man's Truck

The search for a missing Toombs County man continues. Arlie Horne's truck was found on the side of a road near the Hard Luck Hunting Club yesterday. And today, police say they found a suicide note, but continue to scour the wooded area nearby.

Four wheelers plow through dirt roads surrounding the hunting club, as a family waits patiently. "Mother asked us to look after him after she passed away and we've done so," said Arlie Horne's stepdaughter Gayle Drake.

For the last 34 years, Gayle Drake has tried to keep the promise she made. But today she stands near the pickup truck, boxed in by crime tape, that belongs to her stepfather Arlie Horne. He has been missing since May 30. "This is an area that Arlie loved, and he's obviously here somewhere," said Drake.

Drake said Arlie would come to these grounds to hunt and enjoy nature. But it's the very same woods she is now so desperately looking through to find clues to his whereabouts.

"I knew Arlie and I felt this is where he'd be," said Drake.

That is the very same notion Toombs County sheriff Alvie Kight had, and is why he and other searchers have spent time combing through a five mile area on ground, in the air and in the water. And today, they got another break.

Sheriff Kight said a suicide note found today has provided another twist in this investigation. "That's one piece of evidence, and sometimes with a suicide you have a suicide note. And we found one, but usually when you find the suicide note, you find the person that committed suicide. But we have not found him yet," said Kight.

But searchers are determined to bring closure for the family. "We're going to continue to look and search the area until we do find him," said Kight.

Sheriff Kight said at this point they are still treating the case as a search and rescue effort.

and

http://www.vidaliacommunications.com/news.html

Search Called Off for Horne

July 12-- After three days of looking, the search has been called off for a Vidalia man missing since May 30. Toombs County Sheriff Junior Kight says searchers scoured the area around Pendleton Creek in east Toombs County where the truck of 66-year-old Arlie Horne was found by a member of the Hard Luck Hunt Club. Boats, divers, dogs and flyovers were employed before the search was called off Thursday. The sheriff earlier confirmed an empty holster and apparent suicide note were found in the truck. Meanwhile, the case remains open and anyone with information on Horne is asked to contact the Toombs County Sheriff's Department.

I need to follow up on this when I come up for breath.

Just keep swimming.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back