1157 users online (247 members and 910 guests)  

Websleuths News

Mother arrested for leaving baby at church

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19176130/

Now if you read the link you will see the baby was 18 months old but even still I am not so certain that women who do these things actually understand the age limit of the law.
    Furthermore, she was wanted on a parole violation and after leaving the baby turned herself in for that charge and the police put 2 and 2 together.

IMO this was a young mother who in trying to comply with a parole violation did what she thought would be best for her child..
    I am not looking at this like someone who dropped off their child to go on a crack binge.. I really think there is a big difference.

Amraann,
    I thought that this was a follow-up to the story that you posted but it is a different child.

WCAU-TV
    7:13 p.m. EDT June 11, 2007

Police said a toddler who was found abandoned in the parking lot of a Delaware hospital on Saturday had a note on him, but they did not release what it said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19178108/

Police Release Contents Of Note In Abandoned Boy's Diaper
    This link is for the slideshow, a note which was left with the baby is slide #9.
    http://www.nbc10.com/slideshow/news/...70/detail.html
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19176130/

Now if you read the link you will see the baby was 18 months old but even still I am not so certain that women who do these things actually understand the age limit of the law.
    Furthermore, she was wanted on a parole violation and after leaving the baby turned herself in for that charge and the police put 2 and 2 together.

IMO this was a young mother who in trying to comply with a parole violation did what she thought would be best for her child..
    I am not looking at this like someone who dropped off their child to go on a crack binge.. I really think there is a big difference.

I totally agree with you. What difference does it make if it is a church, hospital, firestation, etc? This gal knew that her baby would be found there and at least she didn't kill it and throw it in a dumpster or leave it somewhere that it wouldn't have been safe or found.

With this law about newborn babies...I wonder how many women even know about it at all. I have never seen it advertised on TV on any station so how has word gotten around? I think that is why women still murder their babies.
    Some of them at least. Maybe if they knew that they could drop them off...no matter what age or even say up to 2 years or so many kids would be saved. They need to advertise that law on TV and in the places where they can be dropped off. They also need to change the age.

I think that this girl was doing the best that she could for her baby. She shouldn't get punished for that.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I agree, Amraann, I think there is a big difference here, too.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

I think that it is so sad that parents think that they have no other choice but to abandon their babies. I agree that this is better than abuse or death but there has to be something more done to help these parents.
    Happy New Years

We need to do a better job of helping people who cannot take care of their children any longer. We talk about it, but we need to really do something about it.

If a parent kills their child, we say why? Why didnt they take the child somewhere, or to someone? Well, she did. She took the child to a place that she felt was safe. And the child was safe, the child at least was not with prostitutes and drug addicts. And now shes been arrested. Arrested because we as a society have not planned ahead, in the sense that children older than newborn may need a place to go when parents are unable to care for them.
    Maybe we need to have the old fashions

Bobbisangel I agree with you .... I only know of the law because I watch the news and read about these cases....

I am fairly certain that is not the case with impoverished or young girls.
    I suppose it maybe on some poster at the health dept but half these women don't get medical care.

In this case and the one Shadow posted the children were to old for the safe drop off law.

I just really wonder what this girl was suppose to do??
    Turn herself in with the baby?

Does anyone know what town and state this took place in and if there is a way to contact the local police department? I would really like to send a email about this story. It probably won't help but this case needs to be looked at in a different way then making an arrest. This mom deserves some credit for making sure her baby was safe. I guess maybe she should have taken the baby with her when she turned herself in. At least she wouldn't have been arrested. She could have told LE that she had no one to take care of the baby while she served her time so the baby would have to go with her!

Sorry Bobbi I had not seen your post.. If its not in the original article I linked then I have no idea..

I only noticed your post because I wanted to add this update about the case Shadow posted...
    Police think they KNOW the mother of that child.
    The baby found with a note pinned to his diaper in a parking lot.
    http://www.nbc10.com/news/13508304/detail.html
    Last edited by Amraann; 06-15-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: ETA to change FOUND to KNOW (they have not found her)

Some people should not be parents - either due to temperment, or due to circumstances. I think it's the most honorable thing to do in those circumstances, to find a way to hand your child to someone else who can give it a good life. It's a hard decision, but in htis case, and in some others, it's simply the right one.