1274 users online (239 members and 1035 guests)  

Websleuths News

4 Teens Killed After SUV Crashes Into Train

http://http://www.click2houston.com/...69/detail.html

BAYTOWN, Texas -- Four teenagers died and two others were injured when a sport utility vehicle crashed into a train on Thursday, KPRC Local 2 reported.

Harris County sheriff's deputies said the wreck happened just west of Baytown on East Archer Road near Fleming Drive at about 4:30 a.m.

Investigators said the driver of a Jeep Cherokee, which was reported stolen, slammed into the side of a train that Union Pacific officials said was not moving.

These kids were between 12 - 16 years old. The father of one of the victims lashed out at the railroad spokesman, blaming this on the poorly marked railroad crossing. I know it would be horrible to lose your 12 yr. old daughter to an accident like this, but I have to wonder what a 12 yr. old was doing out at 4:30 in the morning in a stolen car driven by a 15 yr. old.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Maral View Post
    These kids were between 12 - 16 years old. The father of one of the victims lashed out at the railroad spokesman, blaming this on the poorly marked railroad crossing.
    It's no laughing matter but this man should perhaps be reminded that there are reasons why kids can't drive.

http://www.baytownsun.com/story.lass...1a5b3dd240fed1

Awww thats soooo sad.. my (old)friends and I did something stupid like that when we were around that age.. .. But I think they should of had crossing gates or lights.. I dont know if speed played into the role but maybe that could of happened to anyone.. But the kids definately should not of been out or in a vehicle.

That's unbelievable; kids that age stealing a car and being out at that hour. Wonder if any of the parents knew they were out. Most kids who even have a license at age 16, don't need to drive alot at night; or with other kids in the car with them.

Unfortunately kids don't think anything will happen to them at that age. And they go out and do crazy things once school is out.

Oh my gosh. What a mess. Where in the world was the supervision for this crew?

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    That's unbelievable; kids that age stealing a car and being out at that hour.
    I doubt they were allowed to be out all night, if they were anything like me at that age they snuck out the window. We didn't go and steal cars though, it simply felt great to be out "illegally".

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Oh my gosh. What a mess. Where in the world was the supervision for this crew?
    I was wondering the same thing!!

Children who are supervised do not run wild at all hours of the night.

That being said Florida has strict laws in place regarding railroad crossings.
    I was shocked to learn that in many places they do not.
    Here they must have the bars and flashing lights at all crossings.

What a terrible mess. I did some dumb things when I was young and I thank God I am still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Maral View Post
    http://http://www.click2houston.com/...69/detail.html

BAYTOWN, Texas -- Four teenagers died and two others were injured when a sport utility vehicle crashed into a train on Thursday, KPRC Local 2 reported.

Harris County sheriff's deputies said the wreck happened just west of Baytown on East Archer Road near Fleming Drive at about 4:30 a.m.

Investigators said the driver of a Jeep Cherokee, which was reported stolen, slammed into the side of a train that Union Pacific officials said was not moving.

These kids were between 12 - 16 years old. The father of one of the victims lashed out at the railroad spokesman, blaming this on the poorly marked railroad crossing. I know it would be horrible to lose your 12 yr. old daughter to an accident like this, but I have to wonder what a 12 yr. old was doing out at 4:30 in the morning in a stolen car driven by a 15 yr. old.
    I was thinking the same thing. I know he is grieving, but to blame the railroad is just stupid. I can already smell the lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I was wondering the same thing!!

Children who are supervised do not run wild at all hours of the night.

That being said Florida has strict laws in place regarding railroad crossings.
    I was shocked to learn that in many places they do not.
    Here they must have the bars and flashing lights at all crossings.
    I agree with you here...I am SHOCKED by today's teenagers....if I had done anything like this during my teenage years my dad would have beat the blood out of me...no exaggeration here...what I got back in the day would be considered child abuse by today's standards....and be that as it may, the fear of the belt and/or my dad kept me in line...