Kelloggs Lawsuit "fix"?

Amraann

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070614/ap_on_he_me/kids_food

Apparently they have agreed to change the nutritional value of their cereals and not market cereals that do not meet those requirements to children under 12...

I have to say this kind of annoys me .... What exactly are the parent and nutrition advocacy groups suing for??
Their own inabilty to teach their children good eating habits in a world of choices??

Now on another thread I disagreed with a poster about children and nutrition but that was only as it pertains to disabled children.
For my non-disabled children I would simply not buy and keep a bunch of junk food in the house.

As a parent I don't really want other parents or some "advocacy" group suing on my behalf.. I can handle feeding my children.

When will this end?? If I want to eat a big mac I want it to be full of fat and I know damn well its unhealthy ..... If I wanted health I would have purchased the salad. But I feel its MY CHOICE and I should have that choice.

It will end when people decide that they need to internally regulate their own behavior, and be responsible for their own choices, as well as the consequences that come with those choices. It will end when it dawns on folks that litigating accomplishes two things. One it raises the price of products for everyone, including themselves. Secondly it forces a third entity (in this case the court system i.e. government) to mediate and "decide" whats right. Both of which lead in the opposite direction of my first sentence.

So to answer your question: not any time soon! :twocents:

I was glad to see my Frosted Flakes passed the "test"--but my girlfriend's Fruit Loops didn't lol

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070614/ap_on_he_me/kids_food

Apparently they have agreed to change the nutritional value of their cereals and not market cereals that do not meet those requirements to children under 12...

I have to say this kind of annoys me .... What exactly are the parent and nutrition advocacy groups suing for??
Their own inabilty to teach their children good eating habits in a world of choices??

Now on another thread I disagreed with a poster about children and nutrition but that was only as it pertains to disabled children.
For my non-disabled children I would simply not buy and keep a bunch of junk food in the house.

As a parent I don't really want other parents or some "advocacy" group suing on my behalf.. I can handle feeding my children.

When will this end?? If I want to eat a big mac I want it to be full of fat and I know damn well its unhealthy ..... If I wanted health I would have purchased the salad. But I feel its MY CHOICE and I should have that choice.
:blowkiss: agree 100%

I used to let my kids choose any cereal they wanted- sort of. It had to come from the shelves above their heads, and not have bright red on the packaging. That pretty much took care of all the crap that was being pushed at their ages and heights. Then we'd hit the fruit aisle. Any fruit they wanted, red or not, but the most fun was getting them to pick fruit that looked different- star fruit, kiwi etc. They are now grown, healthy and very good cooks - even for teenage boys.

I agree with the McDonald's argument to a point... however, if you really want to be healthy, you shouldn't be there, or practically any restaurant at all.

People THINK they're being healthy at McD's with salad... but there's high fructose corn syrup in the dressings (plus fat) and don't get me started on the sugared walnuts. Fat free? Sugar Free? Just means more chemicals.

So let's go to a non-fast food restaurant... Portions are out-of-control and extra calories are added for taste. There was recently a study showing that customers just don't know or understand how many calories they are consuming at Applebee's, Chilis, etc.

Trans fat is still hidden in products, MSG is hidden everywhere and is added to make people think they're hungry, HCFS has replaced regular corn syrup and sugar and added calories, plus made glyemic levels jump. Aspartame and other sugar mimicers do the same.

I'm just over 30, have a post-college degree, 2 children, and I've just figured out this stuff. How does an 20 year old single mom on a limited income with companies pushing the "added vitamins" or "quick and easy" benefits of their food stand a chance?

I'm just over 30, have a post-college degree, 2 children, and I've just figured out this stuff. How does an 20 year old single mom on a limited income with companies pushing the "added vitamins" or "quick and easy" benefits of their food stand a chance?

The same way you do. They be the parent and choose foods for their kids that are healthy. You can find plenty of foods that are healthy and fast to fix. I understand that we as a society are busy, but that is not really an excuse to jump into the closest fast-food line and buy dinner three or four nights out of a week as MANY people do (no one in here perhaps but a general observation).

I agree with Amraann. We as parents are the ones who should be making choices about what is good for our children. The government is slowly taking our life choices away from us "in the best interest of public health."

Well at least I can post this at another site where I got attacked for saying it was okay for a child to have fish sticks and peas for breakfast if the other choice is sugary cereal. At least the fish has protein.

I agree with the McDonald's argument to a point... however, if you really want to be healthy, you shouldn't be there, or practically any restaurant at all.

People THINK they're being healthy at McD's with salad... but there's high fructose corn syrup in the dressings (plus fat) and don't get me started on the sugared walnuts. Fat free? Sugar Free? Just means more chemicals.

So let's go to a non-fast food restaurant... Portions are out-of-control and extra calories are added for taste. There was recently a study showing that customers just don't know or understand how many calories they are consuming at Applebee's, Chilis, etc.

Trans fat is still hidden in products, MSG is hidden everywhere and is added to make people think they're hungry, HCFS has replaced regular corn syrup and sugar and added calories, plus made glyemic levels jump. Aspartame and other sugar mimicers do the same.

I appreciate your post:) And I agree with you about those foods BUT...
I think information about healthy eating is abundantly available for anyone interested in taking a minute to read it.
And even a busy single mother has the right to choice.
I would have no problem with these companies having to be more forth coming (actually ANY company) with their advertising.. but the nutritional requirements seem silly to me ..... Like anyone even thinks Fruit Loops are good for you??
I think I knew that at age 5.

I just do not advocate losing choices and the government micromanaging our lives.
People are not going to learn to make choices if every single thing becomes regulated by others deciding for them.
IMO it breeds lazy drones.

I really think that most people whoever they are are aware of what a well balanced meal is.
They teach nutrition in school as well.

Well at least I can post this at another site where I got attacked for saying it was okay for a child to have fish sticks and peas for breakfast if the other choice is sugary cereal. At least the fish has protein.

You got attacked for that??
Whats wrong with fish sticks for breakfast? I serve breakfast for dinner all the time..
Cold pizza is really good for breakfast!!

I think almost anything is OK in moderation.
Even a bowl sugery cereal once in awhile is OK .... (personally I prefer cherios cornflakes and rice crispies but I don't like suger to begin with)

It will end when people decide that they need to internally regulate their own behavior, and be responsible for their own choices, as well as the consequences that come with those choices. It will end when it dawns on folks that litigating accomplishes two things. One it raises the price of products for everyone, including themselves. Secondly it forces a third entity (in this case the court system i.e. government) to mediate and "decide" whats right. Both of which lead in the opposite direction of my first sentence.

So to answer your question: not any time soon! :twocents:

Bravo!:woohoo:

One of my sons was the hardest kid to feed in the morning. When he was 4 years old I would have to go through a list of what was in the fridge or in the cupboard every morning. He was always cranky no matter what I offered him. Trying to avoid another arguement, I decided to ask him when he was happier - at dinner- what he would like for breakfast. His response: Dinner!!! So that's what he got the next morning.Problem solved.

We allow our boys to have "sugar cereals" before school and they have a glass of OJ for some extra vitamin C. (Sometimes, we have "sugar cereal" for dessert/snack instead of a giant piece of cake or something of the like.) I may be missing something when reading/hearing about the lawsuit, but I don't understand the point of it? IMO, my kids are getting a few little bits of vitamins, even with that type of breakfast? In our house, we do practice "portion control", meaning one bowl (reccommended serving size) is usually enough. None of our boys are overweight, nor lacking in nutrition. Do I really need to govern what they eat by what a lawsuit dictates or the government? I just don't understand...?

IMO, a lot of children may face some health risks from eating fast food every night for dinner (and I often see kids in the lunchroom who have cold fast food in their lunch bags). I am not saying my kids never eat fast food, but we usually only do that once a week or every 2 weeks. Just often enough that they look forward to it and view it as a treat.

Sorry for the lengthy post- this kind of stuff really aggrivates me. And as a side note, I don't see anything wrong with having leftover dinner at breakfast time, I just wouldn't want to have to cook a roast or something every morning! LOL!

We don't have a set meal in our house like if my kids want sausage and pancakes for dinner then that is what we have or if we all want left over lasagna for breakfast then thats what we have. As far as cereal goes we have never really been a big cereal eating family but if I do buy it they usually eat it whenever they want and never for breakfast lol..usually as a snack. This morning we had leftover grilled chicken from our bbq last night with white rice for breakfast..(it was good too :D )

Personally as long as the group did not see a profit from this lawsuit I see nothing wrong with it. Yes, parents should be more aware of what is going in their children's mouth but *joe's parents* may not care if there kid has tons of sugar on his plate and he is only 6 and what is the harm of making it a little more healthier if it tastes the same? Transfats do not change the flavor only give it a longer shelf life. I think they should be made healthier. If they eliminated transfats here your food would be fresher, I would think that would be a good thing and local businesses would get used more business due to shorter shipping times needed.

Our food is horrid and they are trying to settle down the obesity epidemic but I personally think they are looking at it in the wrong direction. High fructose corn syrup is proven to slow down metabolism and its still in absolutely everything. Bagged lettuce, fresh vegetables, meats, salads from mcdonalds, its how the lettuce can stay green and fresh for days when if you cut it yourself from your garden it would not. Corn is not a top ten allergen so they are not required to tell you if its sprayed on a product since its a spray not an additive, even if you called the company they do not legally have to tell you. The government also neglects to share that 89% of cows in the united states in the dairy industry are infected with bovine leukemia so basically your drinking liquid cancer. YUM! Fda is big money and they are not going to change things unless they absolutely have to, too much money is able to be made. They do not care about your health.

ETA- here's a few links for bovine leukemia so you see Im not talking out my butt :D if your interested.
http://www.rense.com/general21/89percentdairy.htm
http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/ag
http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Lnotmilk16.htmguides/ansci/g02120.htm

Thats actually my very favorite bkfst! :D

mug of hot coffee...
slice of cold leftover pizza...
quiet Saturday morning...
reading @ WS...
heaven![/quote--cold pizza yummmmmm--that's the way I usually have it--that or at room temperature]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back