734 users online (72 members and 662 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 119
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530

    Paris Hilton - 3

    I'm sorry, I'm sooooo sorry...

    But I needed a place to respond to this from JBean:
    But after a judge sent her back to jail Friday, Hilton's attorney announced that she would serve the full 23 days. That means that Hilton will end up serving more time than 80% of other people in similar situations<<
    Good reasearch, finding that. This means, to me, that Paris is serving the same sentence or less as 20% of all similar criminals. Sounds to me like nothing unexpected or wrong.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm sooooo sorry...

    But I needed a place to respond to this from JBean:
    Good reasearch, finding that. This means, to me, that Paris is serving the same sentence or less as 20% of all similar criminals. Sounds to me like nothing unexpected or wrong.
    Thanks Details.
    All I mean, and have been consistent about from the very beginning, is that she is serving more time than most would in her shoes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    This analysis is the most telling, IMO:
    click the link below

    'Twenty-three days would be considerably more than the average person given her sentence would actually serve.'
    Stan Goldman, professor of criminal law and procedure at Loyola Law School on Paris Hilton




    Did Hilton get special treatment?
    click to enlarge



    Photo Gallery
    Paris Hilton Saga

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Thanks Details.
    All I mean, and have been consistent about from the very beginning, is that she is serving more time than most would in her shoes.
    Not everyone serves the average time though. Obviously. The variables that change what your sentence is are what judge you get, your own demeanor (I think thisis the primary reason - and a valid one - for Paris's sentence), whether or not you appear to have learned your lesson.

    More than the average person would get doesn't mean she's being penalized for being Paris, just means that like anyone, her sentence varies by her individual circumstances.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Details View Post
    Not everyone serves the average time though. Obviously. The variables that change what your sentence is are what judge you get, your own demeanor (I think thisis the primary reason - and a valid one - for Paris's sentence), whether or not you appear to have learned your lesson.

    More than the average person would get doesn't mean she's being penalized for being Paris, just means that like anyone, her sentence varies by her individual circumstances.
    I disagree. I think she is most defintely being penalized for her celebrity (atypical sentence)and also rewarded for her celebrity (atypically responsive medical care), so I guess it all balances out. . JMHO as always.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    I should add that this is a very much political issue between Sheriff dept and the courts. IMO, I don't think Sauer picked the penalty based on who she was as much as he picked it based on the fact that she is a celeb, any celeb. he knew it would get press and wanted to make a point about his sentences being carried out. the judges are increasingly frustrated with the Sheriff dept changing the sentences after custody is remanded to them.
    He was making a statement about his power as opposed to the Sheriff dept power. This is an ongoig political /power struggle between these two entities and I think Sauer was trying to capitalize on it.
    I think Baca also got his political agenda out there in his PC.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    LA Native
    Posts
    88
    IMO Judge Sauer inteded for Ms. Hilton to serve her entire time, minus the usual time off for good behavior. He anticipated the 50% reduction in sentence and then added, "no house arrest, no electronic monitoring". I don't think the judge could have been clearer with the sentence he awarded to Ms. Hilton.

    When Ms. Hilton appeared before this Judge she conducted herself shamefully. She disrespected the judge and the judicial process. She violated her parole and then had the audacity to say that she thought she could drive. Her publicist had told her she could. Obviously, Ms. Hilton never took her initial sentence seriously. She laughed off the entire process. She expected Mommy and Daddy to make it all go away because she's Paris Hilton.

    Fortunately for Ms. Hilton she encountered a judge who was willing to what was right for not only the State of California, but right for Ms. Hilton herself. She has received a serious wake up call about her life. She now knows she is subject to society's limits and rules.

    As for Ms. Hilton serving more than what is the average time based on statistics. Well, statistics are just that. A set of numbers, one inmate serves one day, one serves fifty. Average time served 25 days. What matters is that the judge inteded for Ms. Hilton to serve 23 days in jail. Although to some, it seems harsh. That's what wake-up calls are inteded to do, roust one out of a deep a sleep and make one sit up and take notice.

    I think the Judge did what was right in this case. Ms. Hilton will be a changed person. Hopefully for the better. Perhaps she will enter adulthood now and become a lovely young woman. She has the potential to do so much good with her life. I'm hoping this time will benefit Ms. Hilton. This isn't about punishment, this is about rehabilitation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    remotely
    Posts
    42,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    IMO Judge Sauer inteded for Ms. Hilton to serve her entire time, minus the usual time off for good behavior. He anticipated the 50% reduction in sentence and then added, "no house arrest, no electronic monitoring". I don't think the judge could have been clearer with the sentence he awarded to Ms. Hilton.

    When Ms. Hilton appeared before this Judge she conducted herself shamefully. She disrespected the judge and the judicial process. She violated her parole and then had the audacity to say that she thought she could drive. Her publicist had told her she could. Obviously, Ms. Hilton never took her initial sentence seriously. She laughed off the entire process. She expected Mommy and Daddy to make it all go away because she's Paris Hilton.

    Fortunately for Ms. Hilton she encountered a judge who was willing to what was right for not only the State of California, but right for Ms. Hilton herself. She has received a serious wake up call about her life. She now knows she is subject to society's limits and rules.

    As for Ms. Hilton serving more than what is the average time based on statistics. Well, statistics are just that. A set of numbers, one inmate serves one day, one serves fifty. Average time served 25 days. What matters is that the judge inteded for Ms. Hilton to serve 23 days in jail. Although to some, it seems harsh. That's what wake-up calls are inteded to do, roust one out of a deep a sleep and make one sit up and take notice.

    I think the Judge did what was right in this case. Ms. Hilton will be a changed person. Hopefully for the better. Perhaps she will enter adulthood now and become a lovely young woman. She has the potential to do so much good with her life. I'm hoping this time will benefit Ms. Hilton. This isn't about punishment, this is about rehabilitation.
    Not a #3 Paris thread . I promised myself I wouldn't post anymore on a Paris thread...so much for promises.
    I agree with your post, Siren (every word). I have much respect for JBean, but I lean more towards your post. If jail doesn't fix Paris, nothing will.

    You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.


    My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.



    Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.




    http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    I think her sentence was harsh, relative to other inmates time served. Not harsh in terms of sentencing in general. LA County is a mess. Their sentencing structure is a disaster due to the overcrowding in the US's largest jail system. I do not support reduced sentencing in any way shape or form. A lot of this has to do with the number of illegal aliens clogging up our system and the gridlock in our courts. NINETY PERCENT of inmates are in pre-trial status! They haven't even been convicted yet!
    Also this analysis was based on probation violations , that is, driving with a suspended license while on DUI probation. Which means they all thought the law didn't apply to them or that they were above the law and drove against court order. Paris is cetainly not the only one with that attitude.

    I think PH is a big zero. but I also think this thing was blown way out of proportion, by everyone involved.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I disagree. I think she is most defintely being penalized for her celebrity (atypical sentence)and also rewarded for her celebrity (atypically responsive medical care), so I guess it all balances out. . JMHO as always.
    I agree with everything in this post!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    IMO Judge Sauer inteded for Ms. Hilton to serve her entire time, minus the usual time off for good behavior. He anticipated the 50% reduction in sentence and then added, "no house arrest, no electronic monitoring". I don't think the judge could have been clearer with the sentence he awarded to Ms. Hilton.

    When Ms. Hilton appeared before this Judge she conducted herself shamefully. She disrespected the judge and the judicial process. She violated her parole and then had the audacity to say that she thought she could drive. Her publicist had told her she could. Obviously, Ms. Hilton never took her initial sentence seriously. She laughed off the entire process. She expected Mommy and Daddy to make it all go away because she's Paris Hilton.

    Fortunately for Ms. Hilton she encountered a judge who was willing to what was right for not only the State of California, but right for Ms. Hilton herself. She has received a serious wake up call about her life. She now knows she is subject to society's limits and rules.

    As for Ms. Hilton serving more than what is the average time based on statistics. Well, statistics are just that. A set of numbers, one inmate serves one day, one serves fifty. Average time served 25 days. What matters is that the judge inteded for Ms. Hilton to serve 23 days in jail. Although to some, it seems harsh. That's what wake-up calls are inteded to do, roust one out of a deep a sleep and make one sit up and take notice.

    I think the Judge did what was right in this case. Ms. Hilton will be a changed person. Hopefully for the better. Perhaps she will enter adulthood now and become a lovely young woman. She has the potential to do so much good with her life. I'm hoping this time will benefit Ms. Hilton. This isn't about punishment, this is about rehabilitation.
    I thnk the same could be said about every person that violates their DUI probation by driving on a suspended license, which is my point. Why do we want to rehabilitate PH and not everyone else? lol.

    I do not think she should get less time..
    I think the others should get the same time she did OR MORE!

    Why doesn't the judge make this same restrictive sentence to every DUI probation violater? because he can't. Our jails are too crowded. he picked her because he knew it would become known.
    Why did he give her a high sentence relatively speaking?
    It cannot be said it is because she thinks she is above the law, because all these people that drove on a suspended license all seemed to think they were above the law also.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    Which means they all thought the law didn't apply to them or that they were above the law and drove against court order. Paris is cetainly not the only one with that attitude.
    I think Paris is just one of the 20&#37; who not only think the law doesn't apply to them - but also is willing to show that to the judge, rather than pretend or real repentance - and that 20% naturally get more severe sentences. Seeing Paris in court, any judge would know that she'd be driving again, and drunk, once she left. No question. Also - her probation violation was pretty severe - she wasn't just caught driving, she was caught 70 in a 40 with lights out - a serious issue all by itself.

    I'm sure 80% of people with this violation show up on time, say they're sorry, they just had to go to work, pick up their child, it'll never happen again, they're so sorry, etc. And they get a lighter sentence for it - until they prove otherwise.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    remotely
    Posts
    42,943
    Ok, lets do a poll. (LOL) JBean or Siren? (just kidding)

    You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.


    My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.



    Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.




    http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by arielilane View Post
    Not a #3 Paris thread . I promised myself I wouldn't post anymore on a Paris thread...so much for promises.
    I agree with your post, Siren (every word). I have much respect for JBean, but I lean more towards your post. If jail doesn't fix Paris, nothing will.
    OH dear you can disagree with me all day long. that is what makes the world go round

    but take your statement and I wonder why we aren't intereted in "fixing" all the DUI probation violators by giving them sentences like PH? I would certainly support that, but our jails can't. So how is it decided that PH gets the rehab sentence and most Joe Averages get the 4 day quicky?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by arielilane View Post
    Ok, lets do a poll. (LOL) JBean or Siren? (just kidding)
    you nut.
    I still don't think anyone even understands my position.

    I think MORE DUI or reckless driving probation violators should get a hearty sentence and serve 50&#37;.
    I'd like to raise the bar not lower it by excusing those that come to court and say they are sorry lol.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Paris Hilton
    By Floh in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 02:17 PM
  2. Paris Hilton arrested in Hollywood
    By Liz in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
  3. Paris Hilton IS Mother Theresa
    By Jeana (DP) in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 10:38 AM
  4. Paris Hilton...what in the heck....
    By Dark Knight in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 09:35 PM